[IGN] New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[IGN] New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

post #1 of 545 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 25)

Quote:
Sony has reportedly patented technology that will prevent the use of second hand games on consoles.

According to NeoGAF member gofreak, the patent application was filed on 9 December 2012 by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, and will work by linking individual game discs to a user's account without requiring a network connection meaning any future attempt to use this disc on another user's console won't work.
source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games

what the hell ????? ohno-smiley02.gif this is crazy if true . if the ps4 does not allow for used game discs i might not buy a ps4 at all mad.gif . i am a big playstation fan but this is ridiculous. blocking used games from playing on a console just does not make any sense. not everyone can afford to buy a $60 game full price.
i think we must petition so that this stupid move from sony or even microsoft does not happen.
what do you feel about this situation ?

Mod edit: Incorrect title and post format. Please read the stickies.

Gaming PC
(15 items)
CPU
Fx6300
Motherboard
Asus M5A78-LM
GPU
Inno3D GTX 1050Ti
RAM
DDR3 Ram 6GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB
Optical Drive
LG
Power Supply
Antec BP450PS
Cooling
Stock Intel
Case
iBall Axton
Operating System
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Monitor
Dell E2014H 20" 1600*900
Keyboard
Intex Corona Spillproof
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 300 Gaming mice
Mouse
None
Audio
Philips SHP2000
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 545 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
it will be hacked, just like everything else....
post #3 of 545 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1089 (Unique: 517)
Never really have bought used games myself but this is pretty much BS. Once you buy a game you should own that game and any inherent value it still has. By making it usable to only one person Sony effectively makes its value 0 once it is purchased and played.

Do they really not make enough money??? rolleyes.gif

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 545 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Sony, one of only 3 companies that I flat our refuse to allow anything made by them to be brought into my house. Not even Apple has that distinction.

post #5 of 545 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1089 (Unique: 517)
So you don't own any Sony Pictures DVD's or music?

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

post #6 of 545 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 62 (Unique: 54)
If this is true, I Sony will be below the nefarious deeds of apple in my opinion, the thing is, this not only blocks used games, but, it also disallows any game sharing period. Lets say I play a game and beat it, now what, i never replay games(I have Eidetic memory, games almost never have replay value for me unless i'm achievement hunting) I can't even give the game to a friend, so the disc will sit there useless.

Now on the other hand, I think it's scummy how when game stop or other trade in places sell used games, not a penny of that goes to the game developer

If I were Sony, I would do away with this, but make it so when a game changes hands, you have to pay a small fee (say 99c) to get another license to use the game on a different console and that money goes to the Dev's (maybe also include a 30 day guess pass for when you just want to loan a game)

Can't find the Droid you're looking for? Join the Dark Side with the
Funnies (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepejovi go_quote.gif

What do you think this is, reasonablepurchases.net?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadProfessor go_quote.gif

Welcome to the Internet, where men are boys, women are men, and all children are FBI agents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLAWNOOB go_quote.gif

Listen, and understand.

AMD is out there. They can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They will not feel pity, remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until their core counts reaches 9000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by {Unregistered} go_quote.gif

Are you afraid to come out as a brown man?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn go_quote.gif

Vaping is like tipping a mouth fedora.

post #7 of 545 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 56 (Unique: 38)
The one time I'm happy I own an Xbox.
This is just stupid, as someone said before do they not make enough money.

post #8 of 545 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 23)
How about all of that wasted plastic, since once you get rid of the console you can go sell your game library. Just have to throw it away. That's absolutely ridiculous

post #9 of 545 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 66)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspateer View Post

it will be hacked, just like everything else....

This.

Kinda wish some companies would patent things (M$???) just so others couldn't use it and have it protect the consumer. Oh no you want to stop people from being able to sell their old games? Too bad, we own that patent, no licensing available. Consumers need to start being the patent trolls and patent things we don't want other companies to do to us.

post #10 of 545 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 439 (Unique: 336)
It will be extra fun when the PS4's start breaking down a few years later and people can't just go out and buy a new one as there games would not work. Oh the joy.

Well perhaps more gamer's will move to PC and a new golden age of PC gaming will begin while Sony cries about them pirates on there hacked PS4's. One can dream right rolleyes.gif

The XFX 4890 post 2 year reference cooler fan bearing service
NZXT Tempest Community
[Worklog] NZXT Tempest eats a 360 rad (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas go_quote.gif

you under-estimate the power of e-peen, you'll whither and waiver to it's power, and finally succumb.
Bow to e-peen and buy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in