[Various]Microsoft Xbox One will get a new APU based on the upcoming Polaris GPU architecture - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Various]Microsoft Xbox One will get a new APU based on the upcoming Polaris GPU architecture

Closed Thread

post #1 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 216 (Unique: 120)
Update:
Here is a huge tell that Xbox One might be based on the newest upcoming architecture from AMD.

All current GPUs from AMD support up to DirectX 12.0. Only Maxwell supports DX12.1.
From GDC Europe in late 2015. Notice Xbox One

Ever since Xbox One and PS4 was released, Microsoft`s console have been under constant critique that their hardware is much less capable than PS4`s hardware.
After all the PS4 have 18 compute units (1152 cores) while Xbox One had to settle with 12 compute units (768 cores).

This is about to change. Microsoft and AMD have been secretly working together to make a more powerful GPU for the Xbox One, and since the GPU is embedded in one chip, it means Xbox One will get a new APU. One can wonder what architecture the CPU part of the APU will be based on (Zen perhaps?), but some console users have noticed the name "Xbox One Polaris" flashed during Netflix usage with their Xbox One.

We know that AMD`s upcoming next generation GPU architecture will be called Polaris, so it seems that Microsoft is about to release a refreshed Xbox One based on the newest GPU architecture.

TL;DR: AMD and Microsoft have been working on a new APU with a GPU based on AMD`s upcoming GPU architecture Polaris. Codename have been noticed by some users while using Xbox One and Netflix.

• Here is leak from HWBattle about the name of AMD`s upcoming GPU architecture:

• The first user to notice "Xbox One Polaris" was "BLNJ" which he posted on twitter. This was all the way back in October in 2014

• Twitter user "yeyixic" also noticed the same codename during Xbox One usage in November this year

• Twitter user "blueisviolet" got hands on a screendump as proof

http://i.imgur.com/FMd8Um6.png

• Earnings Call Meeting for Q3 2015 with the investors, AMD`s Lisa Su had this to say about their plans for consoles.
    Quote:
    Demand from Sony and Microsoft indicates that the record setting sales pace of this generation of game consoles will remain strong. We also remain on track to begin revenue shipments of our additional semi-custom design wins starting in the second half of 2016.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 91 (Unique: 80)
This is good and bad.

Good for future Xbox One owners.

Crappy for current ones. I'd feel cheated, but this happens with early adopters all the time.

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as
the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders),
when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary."

-Microsoft Windows 10 Terms of Service and User Agreement
post #3 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 369 (Unique: 298)
I don't expect this will be a hardware upgrade, but rather an efficiency improvement like we saw over the many Xbox 360 revisions.

Reason. Purpose. Self Esteem.
My Little Pony: Overclocking is Magic!
XBox Live Gamertag: Kremtok

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 101)
It's either a new console with backwards compatibility(+enhanced settings potentially), or a slim version with similar performance.

~ Enjoy life, have a great day ~
Yes, I really am that tivvv3 guy from youtube who makes LoL videos by the same philosophy. Whoa!
Also Unconditional Basic Income advocate.
post #5 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 334 (Unique: 132)
Yeah i'd say it's going to just be for efficiency.. They're probably working on a xbox one "slim", so the lower temps will be important.

If they do go for improved performance then it is a slap in the face to current owners, and then what's the point of owning a console? You may as well just go PC if that becomes the norm. tongue.gif

CPU: 2600k @ 4.8GHZ
MB: Maximus IV Extreme-Z
GPU: MSI 390X
CASE: 650D
AUDIO: Xonar Essence One-AKG Q701
post #6 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome421 View Post

This is good and bad.

Good for future Xbox One owners.

Crappy for current ones. I'd feel cheated, but this happens with early adopters all the time.

I`d say good for everyone. Perhaps we get a little more out of the games to PC from consoles now that we dont have a console thats holding developers down at 720/900p. Cutting textures and VRAM usage down just to get it to work on the "old" Xbox One and being lazy and not giving us that have capable hardware the real goodlooking textures because it cost too much money to make more texture packs rolleyes.gif
post #7 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:24 AM
A title was here

Rep: 208 (Unique: 162)
Meh, the literal sole reason I own an Xbone is due to a close online friend that I enjoy gaming with, unfortunately Halo 5 turned out to be absolute CoD garbage with a campaign not worth touching, but we still have fun in other games.

Anything that matters in terms of horsepower on that console I can get for PC or PS4 since everything's gone the multiplatform route this generation.

8600K @ 4.8 | NH-D15 | ASRock z370 Extreme4 | 1080 Strix | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB SSD | 1TB WD CB | 2TB WD Blue | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 | Sound Blaster Zx | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (TG) | Logitech G900 | Logitech G810 | Sennheiser PC320 + HD419 | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | ViewSonic XG2703-GS
post #8 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremtok View Post

I don't expect this will be a hardware upgrade, but rather an efficiency improvement like we saw over the many Xbox 360 revisions.

Its not a revision if its a new architecture...
post #9 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 30)
Im going to guess, VR edition.

--
Cpl. Dalton
USMCgunner2.gif
<-- Yes, that is my eye.

post #10 of 269 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome421 View Post

Why would an existing owner feel cheated by an update to a piece of tech released in 2013? Do you feel cheated when new models of anything comes out?

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in