[TPU] AMD Fast-tracks 7nm "Navi" GPU to Late-2018 Alongside "Zen 2" CPU - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TPU] AMD Fast-tracks 7nm "Navi" GPU to Late-2018 Alongside "Zen 2" CPU

post #21 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:38 AM
Overclocker
JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about

No product announcement, it's just feeding investors what ever they want to hear. So far their plan was to make 7nm pro cards first and maybe make something for normal humans later that don't wanna buy 1000 GPUs at once but only 1 GPU.

As others have said there rarely a bad product/GPU/CPU, what makes it bad is performance/price ratio. And that is something AMD has been struggling with to compete because they had to use larger silicon, more power consumption, bigger cooling, it all adds up. And when they had something half decent it got always gobbled up by data/coin miners for digital farms, completely killing the performance/price for normal people who want to buy 1 GPU not an airplane load each month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:54 AM
New to Overclock.net
Lee Patekar Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
Rumors indicate its a Polaris replacement first. That means you are looking at 2060-2070 perf. Both are most likely less less than 1080 Ti. Even $800 2080 is on par with 1080 Ti. Its all about price.
The 2080 and 2080 ti are expensive because of their die size which increased dramatically due to tensor cores and the RTX processing despite the 12nm process. If the 2070 follows the same approach AMD could be competitive in non-RTX titles with a 7nm Polaris or Navi release. At least until nVidia releases a 2080 GTX without the tensor cores and RTX (and thus a smaller die size) at a lower price point.
post #23 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:20 PM
New to Overclock.net
Causality1978 Level 1

from 2019 nvidia unable compete in FPS.. soo thats why they introduce "fake marketing" aka carrots for donkeys-Raytracing and censor cores..))) when amd reach same fps/price.. nvidia will say : but we have raytracing look how "nice" ....))))))))))))
its just marketing game from nvidia ,, nvidia dont care noobody

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 04:43 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®
Omega X Level 1

Good. The fanboys don't care what they do. But for everyone else hopefully its a needed bump in performance.
post #25 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Syldon Level 1

Having had time to think on it. I just got back from work. I think this is just an effort at pulling the carpet from under the feet of nvidia on their turing launch. they have read all the complaints, and then offered a light at the end of a different tunnel. If we knew for certain that Navi was incoming a fair few simply would not buy turing, where as if navi is back to being a myth, then turing sales will go higher.

2700X | Crosshair VII | 2 X 8 G-Skill [email protected] | Corsair h110i | MSI 1080 SLI
M2 961 pro(512gb) | 850 EVO (1TB) | 850 EVO (2TB)
14-14-14-14-28-44-6-9-26-0-0-3-9-12-0-2-2-300-14-8-6-3-1-7-7-1-5-5-9
ProcODt 48Ω - Rttnom 40Ω - Rttwr 80Ω - Rttpark 240Ω drvstr 24Ω - 20Ω - 20Ω - 20Ω
vcore +0.0250v | Dram 1.35v Rev: 1103
post #26 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:49 PM
Overclocker
EastCoast is an unknown quantity at this point EastCoast is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure anything changed other then AMD's own press release on their website.
post #27 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:19 PM
New to Overclock.net
guttheslayer is an unknown quantity at this point guttheslayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by Syldon View Post
Having had time to think on it. I just got back from work. I think this is just an effort at pulling the carpet from under the feet of nvidia on their turing launch. they have read all the complaints, and then offered a light at the end of a different tunnel. If we knew for certain that Navi was incoming a fair few simply would not buy turing, where as if navi is back to being a myth, then turing sales will go higher.
I think Iphone X was this when it was launch. A sudden spike in asking price and was poorly recieved. This coming Sept the next gen iphone will be better and cheaper. So yes I believe next year the pricing at GPU side will be better.

But I have to agree nowaday the term "GAMER" is nothing more than cash grab and is only a rich-man hobby.

post #28 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:03 PM
New to Overclock.net
MrKoala Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
Rumors indicate its a Polaris replacement first. That means you are looking at 2060-2070 perf. Both are most likely less less than 1080 Ti. Even $800 2080 is on par with 1080 Ti. Its all about price.
Which makes perfect sense because big Navi is a multi-die cluster. You need to get each die working first before you can get the whole cluster working.

NV's small-intermediate-big dies can be released independently. And since the big die is used in high-margin markets, they try to do it first.

Last edited by MrKoala; 09-04-2018 at 11:14 PM.
post #29 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:11 PM
New to Overclock.net
CoD511 Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by MrKoala View Post
Which makes perfect sense because big Navi is a multi-die cluster. You need to get each die working first before you can get the whole cluster working.

NV's small-intermediate-big dies can be released independently. And since the big die is used in high-margin markets, they try to do it first.

AMD’s Navi will be a traditional monolithic GPU, not a multi-chip module

The linked interview with AMD might be of interest to you if you haven't read it before, regarding MCM and Navi.

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz | Acer Predator XB271HU | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Rampage IV Formula | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO |Corsair AX1200i | Corsair 900D

post #30 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:58 PM
New to Overclock.net
MrKoala Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by CoD511 View Post
AMD’s Navi will be a traditional monolithic GPU, not a multi-chip module

The linked interview with AMD might be of interest to you if you haven't read it before, regarding MCM and Navi.
Oops.

Thanks for the link.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in