[TPU] AMD Zen 2 Offers a 13% IPC Gain over Zen+, 16% over Zen 1 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TPU] AMD Zen 2 Offers a 13% IPC Gain over Zen+, 16% over Zen 1

post #11 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 AM
New to Overclock.net
zGunBLADEz has a spectacular aura about zGunBLADEz has a spectacular aura about zGunBLADEz has a spectacular aura about zGunBLADEz has a spectacular aura about zGunBLADEz has a spectacular aura about zGunBLADEz has a spectacular aura about zGunBLADEz has a spectacular aura about zGunBLADEz has a spectacular aura about zGunBLADEz has a spectacular aura about zGunBLADEz has a spectacular aura about zGunBLADEz has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Indeed interesting times ahead. AMD is on the record saying that they designed Zen 2 to compete favourably with Ice Lake, but in the meantime Intel has this magic card which is being able to clock Coffee Lake to the moon (let's see about power consumption), so we'll see what happens.
come on man we dont have enough to cool skylake-x i dont want to see how a 5ghz lots of core fare lol

i mean if require that im done with pc lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme Motherboard.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	224846  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:18 AM
New to Overclock.net
D-S-J Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by reqq View Post
so.. whats the verdict.. we get 12 or 16 core on ryzen or only 8 core??
Too soon to tell. Though I hope AMD will stop with the slapping more cores to counter Intel. Since Intel will counter in the same manner with slapping more cores. You have 8 cores, NOW I have 8 cores too. In reality it's just mores cores of tweaked old architecture. I would really like new architecture from both sides. Rumor for AMD is new architecture might appear in 2020 or 2021. Intel might have new architecture with their 10nm chips. We'll have to wait to see what both sides offer next year.

post #13 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:18 AM
News Junkie
Newbie2009 has a spectacular aura about Newbie2009 has a spectacular aura about Newbie2009 has a spectacular aura about Newbie2009 has a spectacular aura about Newbie2009 has a spectacular aura about Newbie2009 has a spectacular aura about Newbie2009 has a spectacular aura about Newbie2009 has a spectacular aura about Newbie2009 has a spectacular aura about Newbie2009 has a spectacular aura about Newbie2009 has a spectacular aura about

Indeed interesting times ahead. AMD is on the record saying that they designed Zen 2 to compete favourably with Ice Lake, but in the meantime Intel has this magic card which is being able to clock Coffee Lake to the moon (let's see about power consumption), so we'll see what happens.
Just like the GPU market.

Vega can hit 1700mhz roughly, GTX series 2ghz +

Main PC
(15 items)
CPU
3770k @ 5.0ghz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus V Formula
GPU
EKFC Sapphire RX VEGA 64
RAM
32GB Corsair Vengeance @ 2400mhz
Hard Drive
OCZ vertex 2 120GB SSD & Kingston 120GB SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 2TB 5400rpm
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB 7200rpm
Hard Drive
Samsung 750GB 7200rpm
Power Supply
Corsair AX 860w Platinum
Cooling
XSPC RX360 & EK240
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm
Cooling
EK FCVEGA
Case
NZXT Switch 810
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate & Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
2 x Dell 30" 1600p
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:31 AM
New to Overclock.net
Aemonn Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by D-S-J View Post
Too soon to tell. Though I hope AMD will stop with the slapping more cores to counter Intel. Since Intel will counter in the same manner with slapping more cores. You have 8 cores, NOW I have 8 cores too. In reality it's just mores cores of tweaked old architecture. I would really like new architecture from both sides. Rumor for AMD is new architecture might appear in 2020 or 2021. Intel might have new architecture with their 10nm chips. We'll have to wait to see what both sides offer next year.

We're hitting a wall with current architectures, like we did in 2006-2007 with ghz + heat before we had multi core cpus, only this time it's in the form of poor yields / costs of big die wafers on ever shrinking lithography.

The new architecture is MCM and more cores. It will take some time for software to become more thread friendly, just as it did when the first multi core chips hit the market. You'll have your gaming performance increase once engines are designed to balance tasks across many cores. The problem up until now is that no one was pushing the core barrier. 4 cores were the norm for far too long, and as a developer you need to design for the broader market.

If we see a constant push of greater core count and more economical ways of producing them than a single giant piece of silicon we'll see software performance gains start to scale well with MCM architectures.
post #15 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:31 AM
Otherworlder
epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about

When asked on Twitter about the higher clock potential of the 7nm process, the publication said that it's "Not much higher", so I would cautiously not expect more than 4.5 Ghz (the Ryzen TR2 2950X turbos to 4.4 Ghz). So, 13%+ IPC and a cautious 4.5 Ghz max clocks, and I'd say that AMD has the potential to edge around a 5% win over the 9900K at stock.
if they can consistently clock at ~4.4Ghz on all cores then its already significant enough of an improvement.
not needing to win a lottery to get a good chip would be better than wishing for high-clocks but falling short due to a dud.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #16 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:40 AM
New to Overclock.net
D-S-J Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Aemonn View Post
We're hitting a wall with current architectures, like we did in 2006-2007 with ghz + heat before we had multi core cpus, only this time it's in the form of poor yields / costs of big die wafers on ever shrinking lithography.

The new architecture is MCM and more cores. It will take some time for software to become more thread friendly, just as it did when the first multi core chips hit the market. You'll have your gaming performance increase once engines are designed to balance tasks across many cores. The problem up until now is that no one was pushing the core barrier. 4 cores were the norm for far too long, and as a developer you need to design for the broader market.

If we see a constant push of greater core count and more economical ways of producing them than the single giant piece of silicon we'll see performance gains start to scale well with MCM architectures.
Not a fan of MCM over monolithic. Though I think AMD using the MCM approach is one of their best decisions from a business point of view. Cheaper to design, manufacture, sell. I prefer monolithic for tech progression towards miniaturization. Fitting the most powerful and more tech in a given space or smaller space. MCM really doesn't follow that approach, as seen how shocked many were with Ryzen's size. There are pros and cons for both from a tech advancement and business point of view.

post #17 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:52 AM
Gamer
paulerxx Level 1

Clock for clock how much better are current Ryzen CPU when compared Intel's?

swah

post #18 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:58 AM
New to Overclock.net
D-S-J Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by paulerxx View Post
Clock for clock how much better are current Ryzen CPU when compared Intel's?
Depends on how you look at it. Clock for clock or CPU VS CPU, the advantage belongs to Intel.

Ryzen with fast ram vs Intel in comparable. But in this sense it's more like 2 vs 1 battle. Ryzen is too dependent on ram assistance over it's own CPU architecture unlike Intel.

post #19 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:21 AM
New to Overclock.net
DzillaXx has a spectacular aura about DzillaXx has a spectacular aura about DzillaXx has a spectacular aura about DzillaXx has a spectacular aura about DzillaXx has a spectacular aura about DzillaXx has a spectacular aura about DzillaXx has a spectacular aura about DzillaXx has a spectacular aura about DzillaXx has a spectacular aura about DzillaXx has a spectacular aura about DzillaXx has a spectacular aura about

Ryzen's 4 Core CCX limit hurts when the multicore performance. This count should to be improved. But we will have to wait and see.

From a consumer product viewpoint, the 8 core versions is more like two quad cores in a single die. Ryzen has lower latency between cores in the CCX than intel, but the current limit at 6 cores really slows it down. Moving data between the two sets of L3 CCX modules slows things down. Granted Intel's old Core2Quads were nothing more than two dual cores on a single package connected via the NB, and that thing ended up working out pretty well. So for what it is Ryzen is still a great design as the two ccx's are on the same die. But a move to even 6 cores in a CCX would really spice things up.

Also really hoping for Clock speed of 4.5-4.8 with an OC.

All I know is Ryzen 2 is my next system upgrade. Sandybridge has severed me well, and Ryzen's clock speeds are not as high as I would like. But the performance at its current clock speed is pretty solid IMO. Just give me 4.5+

Moved my Server into a Ryzen platform with ECC memory running ESXI and Virtualized everything. Honestly can't be beat for the price. ESXI 6.7 works great on the platform. Intel's going to need to step up their game, as AMD has a solid product in this market and only thing slowing them down is not having enough mainstream push.
post #20 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:26 AM
New to Overclock.net
Warrax22 Level 1

Significantly lower than the rumors of 30% ipc and 5ghz but still a good jump...I wonder if it's enough to beat Intel tho.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in