[TechSpot] Samsung's plans to kill the notch: Yes, please. - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechSpot] Samsung's plans to kill the notch: Yes, please.

post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:34 AM
WaterCooler
Sir Beregond Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
Agreed, I don't undertand the notch lovers or haters. My essential has one and i really couldn't care less about its existance. Curved edges however are the bane of many cases and screen protectors and need to be toned down.
Exactly. I don't bother with the tempered glass protectors anymore. Had 2 simply pop off the phone (I have an S9+), fall on the floor and shatter. My mom has a Pixel 2 XL and she went through 3 of them, same thing.

I just now get cheap $15 cases on Amazon that come with it's own screen protector that works with the case. Just got a new one this weekend and it's actually pretty nice compared to the $50 case I had before.When it gets all scratched up, I'll just replace the whole thing.

Really have never figured out how the curved edge screen was supposed to be of any value as an end user.

The New Precious
(21 items)
My Precious...
(22 items)
CPU
[Intel] Core i7-4790k
Motherboard
[ASUS] Z97-DELUXE
GPU
[ASUS] GTX 980 Strix
RAM
[Corsair] Vengance Pro Series 16GB DDR3-2400
Hard Drive
[Crucial] M550 512GB
Hard Drive
[WD] Black 3TB x 2
Power Supply
[Corsair] AX750
Cooling
[EK] Supremacy EVO - Gold
Cooling
[EK] GTX 980 Strix - Fullcover w/ Backplate
Cooling
[EK] D5 X-RES Top 100 w/ D5 Vario
Cooling
[Monsoon] 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Compressions - Gold
Cooling
[XSPC] EX240 x 2
Cooling
[Corsair] SP120 x 5 / AF120 x 1
Case
[Corsair] Carbide Air 540
Operating System
[Windows] 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
[BenQ] XL2420TX
Keyboard
[Corsair] K70 - Red switches
Mouse
[Razer] Naga Epic
Audio
[Audio Technica] ATH-A700
Audio
[Antlion] ModMic
Other
[Lamptron] FC5-V2
CPU
[Intel] Core i7-960
Motherboard
[ASUS] Rampage III Formula
GPU
[EVGA] GTX 670 FTW 2GB
RAM
[Corsair] Dominator-GT 6GB DDR3-1866
Hard Drive
[Crucial] M4 128GB
Hard Drive
[Samsung] Spinpoint F3 1TB x2
Hard Drive
[WD] Caviar Black 750GB
Power Supply
[Corsair] AX850
Cooling
[XSPC] Raystorm
Cooling
[XSPC] EX360 and EX240
Cooling
[Scythe] Gentle Typhoon AP-15 x 5
Cooling
[EVGA] GTX 680 Hydro Copper w/ Backplate
Cooling
[XSPC] Dual-bay Res w/ [Swiftech] MCP655
Cooling
[Bitfenix] Spectre Pro Red LED - 140mm x 4
Case
[NZXT] Switch 810 Matte Black
Operating System
[Windows] 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Monitor
[BenQ] XL2420TX
Keyboard
[Saitek] Cyborg V.5 Red LED
Mouse
[Razer] Naga Epic Red LED
Audio
[Audio Technica] ATH-A700
Audio
[ASUS] Xonar Essence STX
Other
[Lamptron] FC5-V2
CPU
[Intel] Core M-5Y10
GPU
[Intel] HD Graphics 5300
RAM
[Generic?] 8 GB DDR3
Hard Drive
[Generic?] 256GB SSD
Operating System
[Microsoft] Windows 10
Monitor
1920 x 1080
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:51 PM
New to Overclock.net
SpartanVXL Level 1

So it looks like they're putting a really small camera in whats left of the bezel?

I thought they were doing something ingenious with OLED, since it's per pixel based lighting, dim out a notch when the camera is activated or even physically move the OLED's within the phone when the camera is on.

The Dangers of WEP (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K go_quote.gif

Holy crap you were using the epitome of unsafeness WEP? That's like using a few pieces of toilet roll as a wall against a nuke. Not good enough.
People and 60Hz (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallsignVega go_quote.gif

People are still going on about this 60 Hz vs whatever stuff? lol

I'd like to see a guy show up with a 60 Hz IPS panel at a quake tourney and play against the guys with 160 Hz CRT's. He would get utterly destroyed. I can't even use 60 Hz monitors non-desktop anymore, makes baby jesus cry.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:52 PM
New to Overclock.net
HybridCore is an unknown quantity at this point HybridCore is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by Avonosac View Post
You wouldn't need to, just pulse them off when you're capturing a picture, with enough sensors to fill in the blind spots the camera would work just like your own brain does filling in your blindspot.
I'm not really sure what blindspots you're talking about since the OLED panel will be near completely (or basically completely) transparent. Cameras don't work like the human brain and don't exhibit persistence of vision. Perception/the human brain is analogous to postprocessing.

If you're saying turn off a small pattern of pixels (like say some checkerboard pattern), the photodiodes under the LEDs are still likely to clip due to the light from the adjacent pixels since there isn't a light pipe/channeling structure.

You're still going to need pretty high shutter speeds unless the phone uses a very low PWM frequency (voltage control is quite difficult to do with LEDs due to their non-linear nature so PWM is preferred) if it's going to be unnoticeable.

Currently most OLED displays in phones (iPhone X/XS/XS Max, Samsung's own flagships, etc.) use a PWM frequency of about 200-250Hz which is quite low. 1/200 and 1/250 shutter speeds at most ISOs will yield a good or decent image in most decently-lit and well-lit scenarios. 1/500 and above shutter speeds will usually require very good lighting conditions or very low noise and some post processing to get a good image. Good chance this frequency will go up as pixel response times improve in the interest of making the PWM switching imperceptible to human eyes.

Last edited by HybridCore; 10-22-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:13 AM
New to Overclock.net
Avonosac is an unknown quantity at this point Avonosac is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post
Spoiler!
It depends entirely on the switching speed being high enough which I assume would be simple, which I highly doubt the brain wouldn't fill in as it currently does on screen dimming and strobing display backlights.

Quote: Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
Spoiler!
The blind spots would be the pixels which as you point out are only mostly transparent. The point wasn't that cameras currently work like persistence of vision in the human brain, which at best the explanation was an analogy, but that you could use other cameras and neural networks to fill in the blind spots. Cameras currently don't work like this because not many cameras intentionally obfuscate the view in front of the lens.

You are going into a lot of the details to work out, but it's kind of irrelevant because this literally is the only way to prevent the sensor(s) being dazzled with the displays input light.

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:38 PM
Overclocker
JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about

No notch here, don't need Samsung, most other phones have no notch for decades.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 PM
New to Overclock.net
HybridCore is an unknown quantity at this point HybridCore is an unknown quantity at this point

The blind spots would be the pixels which as you point out are only mostly transparent. The point wasn't that cameras currently work like persistence of vision in the human brain, which at best the explanation was an analogy, but that you could use other cameras and neural networks to fill in the blind spots. Cameras currently don't work like this because not many cameras intentionally obfuscate the view in front of the lens.

You are going into a lot of the details to work out, but it's kind of irrelevant because this literally is the only way to prevent the sensor(s) being dazzled with the displays input light.
Ah I see. I don't think the blind spot issue is a problem though because that's supposed to be the problem Samsung solved here: that their OLEDs are effectively clear and they can use what we can just best guess as lens correction algorithms (for the distortions caused by the pixel assemblies), not neural networks to fill in things where the information didn't exist to begin with. Not blind spots, rather warped spots.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:07 PM
MMO Enthusiast
luisxd Level 1

wow, so innovative from Samsung

My mods:
Corsair 300R Brushed Metal [MOD]
WoodBox [Scratch Build]
Dell Optiplex 170L 2.0 [MOD]
Old but Gold
(8 items)
CPU
QX9300
Motherboard
Dell
GPU
Nvidia Quadro FX3700M
RAM
Hynix
Hard Drive
Corsair Force 3
Case
Dell Precision M6400
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
17" WUXGA
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 04:07 PM
New to Overclock.net
Avonosac is an unknown quantity at this point Avonosac is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
Ah I see. I don't think the blind spot issue is a problem though because that's supposed to be the problem Samsung solved here: that their OLEDs are effectively clear and they can use what we can just best guess as lens correction algorithms (for the distortions caused by the pixel assemblies), not neural networks to fill in things where the information didn't exist to begin with. Not blind spots, rather warped spots.
Yea, I mean we could get into the semantics if you want to disagree but it's a distinction without a difference. Those lens correction algorithms are either neural networks or psuedo-neural networks to perform image processing from imperfect data.

EDIT- BTW, this is exactly how many Satellites image processing works, they use video sensors instead of still image sensors, with different focal points and lenses to construct still images because it's pretty hard to take a picture of a fixed point going 7.8kM/s.

Last edited by Avonosac; 10-25-2018 at 04:13 PM.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:41 PM
New to Overclock.net
Hueristic has a spectacular aura about Hueristic has a spectacular aura about Hueristic has a spectacular aura about Hueristic has a spectacular aura about Hueristic has a spectacular aura about Hueristic has a spectacular aura about Hueristic has a spectacular aura about Hueristic has a spectacular aura about Hueristic has a spectacular aura about Hueristic has a spectacular aura about Hueristic has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

Source

I don't think that the author of the article realizes the insidious implications that this has to whatever little shred of privacy people have left. Also apply this to laptops and smart TVs and home assistants and smart fridges and car infotainment systems and you won't be able to cover the camera anymore without blocking part of the screen. The right way to go if they really want more screen real estate is a pop-up camera (ideally make it for both front and rear cameras in smartphones).
Ohh man I hope they patent this for a million years so I know what company to never buy from and I'll be safe from those I do!!!!

I just can't wait to have to root out and mod my screens to disable hidden cameras.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 07:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Yea, I mean we could get into the semantics if you want to disagree but it's a distinction without a difference. Those lens correction algorithms are either neural networks or psuedo-neural networks to perform image processing from imperfect data.

EDIT- BTW, this is exactly how many Satellites image processing works, they use video sensors instead of still image sensors, with different focal points and lenses to construct still images because it's pretty hard to take a picture of a fixed point going 7.8kM/s.
Lens correction works differently because it's not guessing. It's remapping points to a new location to cancel out the effects of distortion in the lens. Neural networks make guesses and fill in information that didn't exist. They're very different beasts. One requires insane amounts of data to train the system and the other one is a much simpler set of transformations (albeit nonlinear).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in