[TechSpot] Samsung's plans to kill the notch: Yes, please. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechSpot] Samsung's plans to kill the notch: Yes, please.

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff
tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about

[TechSpot] Samsung's plans to kill the notch: Yes, please.

Quote:
Everything goes under the display
Quote:
Highly anticipated: Samsung was sprinting towards bezel-lessness before other companies could find the start line, and now it looks like they’re about to make a home run. A leaked image from their secretive OLED Forum on Thursday reveals that not only do they have plans for an under-screen fingerprint scanner, but under-screen stereo speakers, haptic engines, and best of all: a camera. What’s more, a separate leak says they’ve got prototypes.

Source

I don't think that the author of the article realizes the insidious implications that this has to whatever little shred of privacy people have left. Also apply this to laptops and smart TVs and home assistants and smart fridges and car infotainment systems and you won't be able to cover the camera anymore without blocking part of the screen. The right way to go if they really want more screen real estate is a pop-up camera (ideally make it for both front and rear cameras in smartphones).

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
HybridCore is an unknown quantity at this point HybridCore is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as privacy concerns, I'm not sure if you can yield a good image from computationally removing the light from the pixels that are directly over the camera (after all those are known by the system). I would assume that it's unlikely with the screen near or at maximum brightness since the wells in each pixel have quite low capacity due to the tiny size of these pixels compared to on larger format sensors which can handle far more light prior to clipping. You would need some extremely high readout speeds (which right now gives pretty high noise) and some computational imagery to get a usable photo when the screen is on. As of now there's a good probability of the screen above the pixels needing to be off in order to get a good photo. In that sense, this is actually good on a privacy front because it would be quite obvious when something is using your camera just like pop-up cameras. I don't see pop-up cameras getting anywhere due to the amount of moving parts it needs as well as the chunk of space those moving parts all need.

This wouldn't matter when the screen is off because then it would be just like any normal camera sitting in a bezel unobstructed by anything.

It would have to take another decade or two before we get high sensitivity high speed readout image sensors (Quanta Image Sensors and jots are already being developed by Eric Fossum, the inventor of the modern day CMOS image sensor) in which this would become a larger concern.

On the technology itself, I'm looking forward to it. I'd like to be able to reach the Svper Phone concept that helped push forward this "bezel-less" trend, though there should still be some bezel like on the iPhone X/XS to help mitigate accidentally presses.

As for how soon we'll see it, since it's already in prototype stage, probably in the next 5 years? Probably in the iPhone 12 or 13 since those are the major redesigns and the S ones are just optimizations. I assume they've solved the problem of distortion from light passing through the subpixel array (in principle this would work just like software lens distortion corrections) and have made the display glass "fast" enough that there isn't a much of a problem with placing a sensor underneath.

The under-screen speaker technology is interesting. I'd venture it's quite close to what Sony is doing with their flagship Bravia televisions (Acoustic Surface). Worried about how the sound might distort though when users press on the screen. If it does distort on contact then it would be quite jarring if you're ever listening to music on the speakers while using another app, or in the case of video, using picture-in-picture or split screen.

Last edited by HybridCore; 10-20-2018 at 03:11 PM.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 04:16 PM
7nm Radeon Version Eleven
CynicalUnicorn has a spectacular aura about CynicalUnicorn has a spectacular aura about CynicalUnicorn has a spectacular aura about CynicalUnicorn has a spectacular aura about CynicalUnicorn has a spectacular aura about CynicalUnicorn has a spectacular aura about CynicalUnicorn has a spectacular aura about CynicalUnicorn has a spectacular aura about CynicalUnicorn has a spectacular aura about CynicalUnicorn has a spectacular aura about CynicalUnicorn has a spectacular aura about

Last I heard the reason so many phones use screens with notches is because the types and resolutions of screens manufacturers want to use are exclusively notched. Good to see regular, non-dumb-looking screens arrive.

Cameras underneath the screen are a really neat idea though. At that point you end up with what is essentially a digital mirror. I wouldn't be too concerned with privacy issues given that cameras are already small and widespread. Sure, you can't cover it easily, but in order to transmit and phone home it needs a connection. Can't mine data if there's no way to leave the system. Internet connection would require access to a network (which can be blocked), cellular modems (which would NOT be subtle given FCC rules), or somehow piggybacking off a video cable and sending data through the cable box (idk but that's the only other connection you'd really have lol).

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:21 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®
Omega X Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post
Last I heard the reason so many phones use screens with notches is because the types and resolutions of screens manufacturers want to use are exclusively notched.

That doesn't sound right. There are many phones out there with different sized notches. Google's phone being the biggest one out there.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 01:17 AM
New to Overclock.net
twitchyzero Level 1

would I prefer notch-less? sure...who doesn't want a cleaner design

but people are overreacting...probably the same people who has to apply a snapchat filter to every selfie because they're so out of touch with reality and that the most minor asymmetry/imperfection has become an atrocity against humanity

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

I don't think that the author of the article realizes the insidious implications that this has to whatever little shred of privacy people have left. Also apply this to laptops and smart TVs and home assistants and smart fridges and car infotainment systems and you won't be able to cover the camera anymore without blocking part of the screen. The right way to go if they really want more screen real estate is a pop-up camera (ideally make it for both front and rear cameras in smartphones).
seriously? if you're worried about privacy, why are you even using a smartphone let alone the Internet.

and a phone with a pop-up mechanism is sure fire wire for more planned obsolescence…they'll make the spring fail after few hundred clicks

Nvidia Surround Gaming
My PC Hardware Upgrade CyclesWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
CPU: Athlon 1.3GHz | Core 2 Duo OC'd 2.0GHz | Core i5-3570K OC'd 4.8GHz
RAM: 2x256MB DDR-333MHz | 2x1GB DDR2-667MHz -> 2x2GB DDR2-800MHz | 4x4GB OC'd DDR3-2133MHz
GPU: GeForce2 MX 64MB -> Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB | Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB | GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB SLI OC'd
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 02:35 AM
New to Overclock.net
adamkatt Level 1

I personally don't think the notch on the iPhone that big of a deal at all.. the notch combined with the bottom bezel on the Pixel though is hideous

Case: -
Hard Drive: Crucial BX100 250GB
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A ATX Operating System: Windows 10
CPU:i7-7700K
RAM: Ballistix Sport 16 GB
Monitor: VIVO Dual LCD LED Monitor Desk Mount Monitor: ASUS VH242
Power Supplies: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W
GPU: ASUS GTX 660 STRIXX
Cooling: Hydro Series, H100i v2
Mouse: Logitech G400 Keyboard: Logitech
http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/ola.gif
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 03:04 AM
Linux Evangelist
Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait, people... care, about this? As in, they have at down and thought about it and it would actually make them [momentarily] happy for this to be, whatever it actually is, because I read the whole article trying to figure out and I'm still stumped. I mean, it's a phone. With a touchscreen. Great. I'm still trying to understand what I'm supposed to be excited about. It's kind of like choosing between shades of white - should I go Swiss coffee or tope?

Quote: Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
would I prefer notch-less? sure...who doesn't want a cleaner design

seriously? if you're worried about privacy, why are you even using a smartphone let alone the Internet.

and a phone with a pop-up mechanism is sure fire wire for more planned obsolescence…they'll make the spring fail after few hundred clicks

I have an S9. It's getting sold as soon as these are available.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.

Last edited by Jarhead; 10-21-2018 at 03:07 AM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 03:07 AM
Skating Enthusiast
steelbom is an unknown quantity at this point steelbom is an unknown quantity at this point

My mate got one recently and I had a look at it and it doesn't bother me at all. He showed me a video in YouTube as well and you can't even tell the notch is there (which was my only potential concern).

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 03:17 AM
Otherworlder
epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about

obligatory pics.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 11:23 AM
Original 16-bit Genesis®
Omega X Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
obligatory pics.

Interesting. They shrunk the bezels instead of adding a notch. What a novel idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in