[TPU] ASUS Z390 Motherboards Automatically Push Software into Your Windows Installation - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TPU] ASUS Z390 Motherboards Automatically Push Software into Your Windows Installation

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
[TPU] ASUS Z390 Motherboards Automatically Push Software into Your Windows Installation

https://www.techpowerup.com/248827/a...s-installation
Quote:
During testing for our Intel Core i9-9900K review we found out that new ASUS Z390 motherboards automatically install software and drivers to your Windows 10 System, without the need for network access, and without any user knowledge or confirmation. This process happens in complete network-isolation (i.e. the machine has no Internet or LAN access). Our Windows 10 image is based on Windows 10 April 2018 Update and lacks in-built drivers for the integrated network controllers.

Upon first boot, with the machine having no LAN or Internet connectivity, we were greeted by an ASUS-specific window in the bottom right corner of our screen, asking whether we'd like to install the network drivers and download "Armoury Crate". This got us curious and we scanned the system for any files that aren't part of the standard MS Windows installation. We discovered three ASUS-signed files in our Windows 10 System32 folder, which, so it seems, magically appeared on our harddrive out of thin air. Upon further investigation we also found a new, already running, system service called "AsusUpdateCheck."

Just be aware of this feature.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Seems like typical ASUS nonsense. I don't see why they forcefully push this stuff on people, let alone on their high-end products...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:32 PM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
Didn't they learn anything? Do they really think this is what people want?
While I understand wanting to make sure people once installing the system, have the drivers to be able to run network etc, but really, without any information or option to disable this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:38 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 140 (Unique: 94)
Wow, neat. I wonder what else it does? /s
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 05:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
They're supporting the devices in their motherboard at OS level without the user having to go to support page and download themselves.
The only problem is that it's engraved in system folder without user confirmation. If the files stayed off in external device (removable drive), there would be less concerns. Maybe let user press update button on the motherboard to execute this update...rather than automatically installing the update software on system hard drive. And this armory software should be completely optional.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
Quote: Originally Posted by drewafx View Post
They're supporting the devices in their motherboard at OS level without the user having to go to support page and download themselves.
The only problem is that it's engraved in system folder without user confirmation. If the files stayed off in external device (removable drive), there would be less concerns. Maybe let user press update button on the motherboard to execute this update...rather than automatically installing the update software on system hard drive. And this armory software should be completely optional.
The armory software IS optional, it's just that it is checked by default.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:29 PM
mfw

Rep: 392 (Unique: 204)
Well, I was considering moving away from Asus for my next motherboard because of a BIOS issue with mine. Now, I'm really going to.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Good to know. I'm pretty meticulous about killing/removing any bloatware or unused processes during my install process, but I'll be sure and keep an eye out for these.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 186 (Unique: 162)
Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
we were greeted by an ASUS-specific window in the bottom right corner of our screen, asking whether we'd like to install the network drivers
So it actually _did ask_, contradicting their fear monger title and statement that it occurred "without any user knowledge or confirmation."

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 101 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post
So it actually _did ask_, contradicting their fear monger title and statement that it occurred "without any user knowledge or confirmation."
No. That window popping up means that the motherboard had already fiddled with the Windows installation, before asking "would you like me to install everything else".

The system is cool and handy, but the fact that it happens automatically with enabled-by-default malicious compilance is outrageous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in