[TECHSPOT] Do we need to re-review the Core i9-9900K? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TECHSPOT] Do we need to re-review the Core i9-9900K?

Old 11-08-2018, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Indentified! On the Way!!
LancerVI is an unknown quantity at this point LancerVI is an unknown quantity at this point

[TECHSPOT] Do we need to re-review the Core i9-9900K?

Quote:
Benchmarking the i9-9900K with unlimited and 95-watt limited results might show two very different sides of the same CPU
Quote:
Essentially then Intel has two seperate specifications for their high-end CPUs, a TDP limited specification that they loosely define or a clock multiplier table specification, and enabling one means it’s impossible to achieve the other. The TDP limit means you won’t reached the intended all-core clock speed while the clock multiplier table spec means you’re running well above the TDP.
Source: https://www.techspot.com/news/77313-...-i9-9900k.html

Interesting read.

MODs: I used the hardware news forum, but the piece is listed as an opinion piece by Techspot. Wasn't sure where to put it. Sorry, if in the wrong spot.

UPDATE 11/10/18: https://www.techspot.com/review/1744...00k-round-two/

Quote:
Today we're revisiting our original Core i9-9900K review and updating it with 95 watt TDP limited results, basically results based on the official Intel specification. For better context about this please read our opinion article from earlier this week titled “Do We Need to Re-Review the Core i9-9900K?”.

The short version of this is that motherboard makers are currently getting blamed for running the 9900K out of spec, when in reality we strongly believe it’s Intel who’s cheating their own spec and pushing board partners to run the 9900K at the default clock multiplier table, rather than at the official power spec.

Last edited by LancerVI; 11-10-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2018, 09:40 AM
In VB's Basement
ENTERPRISE has disabled reputation

I have moved this into the Rumours section

Old 11-08-2018, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
LancerVI is an unknown quantity at this point LancerVI is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
I have moved this into the Rumours section
Thanks. I wasn't sure, as I don't see the information in the article as being rumor or unconfirmed, as they tested it. I think the opinion part comes in when he asks, "should we retest the 9900k."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2018, 10:25 AM
New to Overclock.net
jclafi Level 1

Hot potato !

Oh sorry...

Very fast hot potato !

R5 2600 - MSI X470 Gaming Pro - nVIDIA GTX1060 6GB O.C - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 3200 - Cooler Master Storm Scout - Western Digital Green 240GB M.2 - Kyngston A400 480GB - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo - SamSung 32in LED - eVGA 750W - Razer Abyssus V2 - Logitech G27
Old 11-08-2018, 10:56 AM
sudo apt install sl
WannaBeOCer is an unknown quantity at this point WannaBeOCer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Now, since first reviewing the Core i9-9900K I’ve tested over a dozen Z390 motherboards, ranging from the cheapest $120 models right up to the much more expensive flagship versions. Out of the box all boards from MSI, Gigabyte and Asrock run without a TDP limit in place, even with the default BIOS configuration.

However this isn’t the case for the Asus boards I’ve used, the default out of the box of cleared BIOS configuration employs the 95-watt TDP limit. To remove it without digging into the power setting and doing so manually you’ll need to load an extreme memory profile and then agree to using the Asus optimized settings rather than Intel’s. Basically Asus optimized means ignoring the TDP limit and running at the default clock multipliers like all boards from MSI, Gigabyte and Asrock.
I blame the motherboard manufacturers. Intel should force them by default to use the TDP limit.

Maximus
(18 items)
CPU
Core i7 6700K 4.8Ghz @ 1.4v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon RX VEGA 64 @ 1750/1105Mhz with 1175Mv
RAM
G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Raid 0
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
EK-FC Radeon Vega
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
Old 11-08-2018, 11:09 AM
New to Overclock.net
doom26464 Level 1

TDP been sort of a loose term on intel side for awhile. They really should just bump it up already, its no secret that intel processor are hot and power hungry.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:34 AM
sudo apt install sl
WannaBeOCer is an unknown quantity at this point WannaBeOCer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
TDP been sort of a loose term on intel side for awhile. They really should just bump it up already, its no secret that intel processor are hot and power hungry.
The only reason the 9900k is pulling so much power is because motherboard manufacturers are removing the TDP limit and allowing the chips to reach max turbo peak. That's not default from Intel and blame should be on them not Intel's chips because they are more efficient than Ryzen when running at similar clocks. They are hot for sure but I'm sure a 2700x @ 4.7Ghz on all 8 cores would also be as hot. Other chips were hot because of the glue and thermal paste they used. I always de-lid and run the IHS directly on the core with liquid metal without gluing the IHS back on.

Maximus
(18 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
RAM
G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
Cooling
EK-FC Radeon Vega
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
Old 11-08-2018, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
I blame the motherboard manufacturers. Intel should force them by default to use the TDP limit.
You left out the rest of what he said though:

Quote:
So the problem we have here is motherboard makers for the most part aren’t abiding by either of these power limits, instead they are targeting the clock multiplier table. You could say motherboard makers are cheating but we don’t think that is it... we still feel Intel is cheating their own spec. There is simply no way all board makers did this on their own, what a mighty big coincidence that would be and surely Asus, MSI, Asrock and Gigabyte all work alongside Intel engineers to create their Z390 motherboards.
and
Quote:
We’ve heard a lot of back and forth from AMD and Intel fans, and watching how opinions from both camps have changed over the past year has been interesting. For the 8th-gen release AMD’s pitchfork crew were shrieking at the top of their lungs for us to test with the 95-watt TDP limit in place, while the blue man group members disagreed. Now with the 9th-gen series it’s all over the place, some AMD extremists now want the TDP removed, “let the 9900K burn” they say.

On the other hand, some Intel extremists now say that motherboard markers aren’t abiding by the Intel spec and are causing the 9900K to run too hot. That’s partly true, though I’m not convinced motherboard makers are really the ones at fault here.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:43 AM
sudo apt install sl

Quote: Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post
You left out the rest of what he said though:
According to his testing Asus abides by the default with the TDP limit set when defaults are enabled. Why are all the other manufacturers not and forcing peak boost on all 8 cores? That's a motherboard manufacturer choice.

Maximus
(18 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
RAM
G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
Cooling
EK-FC Radeon Vega
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
Old 11-08-2018, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
According to his testing Asus abides by the default with the TDP limit set when defaults are enabled. Why are all the other manufacturers not and forcing peak boost on all 8 cores? That's a motherboard manufacturer choice.
Please understand; I'm not saying you're wrong, I just thought it important to note the rest of what he said. Having said that, Intel surely knows what's going on. They bifurcated their TDP into two specifications and they can't have it both ways at the same time. One spec to make their cpus look more efficient. Another to make it the fastest cpu around. I maybe over simplifying it, but essentially, that is what they've done. I don't think you can lay ALL of the blame on mobo manufactures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in