[GoL]Valve making their own VR HMD + new VR Half-Life - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[GoL]Valve making their own VR HMD + new VR Half-Life

post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 26)
It would really suck to have to miss a Half Life game, but if it is VR exclusive, then i will be skipping it. I have 0 interest in VR after actually getting to use it at a friends house. Just not my thing. Man after waiting all these years this is what we get. Sucks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 01:49 PM
To The Game

Rep: 290 (Unique: 197)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ksireaper View Post
It would really suck to have to miss a Half Life game, but if it is VR exclusive, then i will be skipping it. I have 0 interest in VR after actually getting to use it at a friends house. Just not my thing. Man after waiting all these years this is what we get. Sucks.
What vr did you try? Headset? Game?
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 02:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 75 (Unique: 67)
Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
It wasn't at all illegal for me to take the game I'd purchased to a registered business operating lawfully and transfer it to them for some cash/credit in return, a couple of these "game exchange" stores became national, many stores in many towns/cities, not at all "under the radar" or suspect or suspicious . It is now specifically illegal for me to attempt to transfer my Steam account or anything in it?

I don't think "non transferable" licence was standard across the board from the start, "restrictive TOS" has been a progression. The "game exchange" in my little town wasn't forced out of business because of illegal activities, instead they were forced out of business by a combination of more restrictive licensing more rigorously applied?
You are correct, but the evolution from a game as a good to a game as a service hasn't been completely fictitious. We now expect patches and support for years after games launch. When games were goods, patches and support were never a sure thing. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up for debate, but we have given up a lot of rights of ownership in exchange for (expected) consistent improvement of the product.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 02:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 70)
Same old arguments against VR.... i'm genuinely interested in getting away from the abstraction of controls that we've been using for two decades.

For those who haven't tried VR and are just expecting a screen on your face, that is quite literally all you will get if you're wanting to play your traditional games at your desk. A proper VR game is made for tracking in a 3d space. You don't need to press a button to expect an action, you just 'do' the motion you want and it should be seamless.

Want to dodge? Move out of the way.
Want to block? Pick up something and put it in front of you.
Want to take cover? Duck and take cover.
Want to reload? Drop the mag and put a fresh one in.
Want to aim? Look down the sights.
Want to fire around a corner without peeking? Stick the gun around the corner without looking and fire.

All these are no longer 'game mechanics', they are just natural actions that you would do like in real life. When you have games designed for these in mind, thats when you start to see innovation in how to play. It's also why its difficult to translate to traditional controls.

I agree with some observations on where the tech is currently at. Cost is certainly a prohibitive barrier for wide adoption. Field of view is being worked on to be less of a goggle-view. Wireless exists and works as long as you have a decent battery.

VR is here to stay and it's will continue to get better if people see it for what it is and can do rather than applying limited expectations on it.

The Dangers of WEP (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K go_quote.gif

Holy crap you were using the epitome of unsafeness WEP? That's like using a few pieces of toilet roll as a wall against a nuke. Not good enough.
People and 60Hz (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallsignVega go_quote.gif

People are still going on about this 60 Hz vs whatever stuff? lol

I'd like to see a guy show up with a 60 Hz IPS panel at a quake tourney and play against the guys with 160 Hz CRT's. He would get utterly destroyed. I can't even use 60 Hz monitors non-desktop anymore, makes baby jesus cry.
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:39 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 31 (Unique: 27)
VR is NEVER going to stick. People don't realize that the tech is never going to be where it would need to be to reach a high adoption rate. It's always going to be too heavy and cumbersome for most people because even if they made it half the weight and half the price with twice the resolution, most people still wouldn't care about it at all. Just having some glasses and hand trackers is not enough to simulate much in VR beyond sitting in a cockpit or standing still while shooting at things, and when the gimmick of the VR's minor appeal wears off, most people totally forget about it. It's something much better suited for an arcade, but there are very few people willing to clear out their room and deal with all the other issues just to play VR games. It's never going to stick and I hope Valve is not foolish enough to invest heavily in it, although I have less faith in Valve than in EA so who knows, maybe they'll find a way to dig themselves deeper.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 05:27 PM
Gamer

Rep: 68 (Unique: 58)
Hey Valve if you decide to make this Half Life game VR exclusive just keep in mind Blizzard's recent announcement of Diablo mobile.

swah
AMD 2019
(6 items)
CPU
ryzen 3600
Motherboard
x570 Phantom Gaming 4
GPU
5700XT
RAM
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
Hard Drive
m.2 512GB
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:25 PM
Hey I get one of these!

Rep: 307 (Unique: 217)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
VR is NEVER going to stick. People don't realize that the tech is never going to be where it would need to be to reach a high adoption rate. It's always going to be too heavy and cumbersome for most people because even if they made it half the weight and half the price with twice the resolution, most people still wouldn't care about it at all. Just having some glasses and hand trackers is not enough to simulate much in VR beyond sitting in a cockpit or standing still while shooting at things, and when the gimmick of the VR's minor appeal wears off, most people totally forget about it. It's something much better suited for an arcade, but there are very few people willing to clear out their room and deal with all the other issues just to play VR games. It's never going to stick and I hope Valve is not foolish enough to invest heavily in it, although I have less faith in Valve than in EA so who knows, maybe they'll find a way to dig themselves deeper.
You contradict yourself by saying the one-pound headset is too heavy and this is a problem, by saying even if it was half a pound it wouldn't matter anyway... because ok I guess? Also a pound is too heavy? Pretty much anyone with hair below their shoulders is already carrying more weight on their head 24/7. You can't deal with that for an hour or two?

That is why new VR hand units are starting to include per-finger grip strength and tracking, and general-placement (feet, etc) trackers are available.

Look into The Climb, Robo Recall (room scale play), Beat Saber, or any of the various "sport/exercise" games such as boxing. None of those are what you described. None of them require that you clear your room either, you just need enough space to stand and spread your arms. Any game that puts you in a cockpit is probably going to give you serious motion sickness.

What "Other Issues"? I start a game, put on my rift, and play. I must be one of those weird people who both have more than half a square foot of floor space and aren't a hoarder I guess, but the sensors stay set up and the headset is on a table next to where I stand.

Consumer VR units have been out for 30+ months now and are still selling. When is the gimmick gonna wear off?

Forge
(18 items)
Forge-LT
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X399 Designare
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (4x8GB 3200Mhz 14-14-14)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
EK Predator 240
Case
Corsair Graphite 780T
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-5
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
Audio
30ART Mic Tube Amp
CPU
i7-4720HQ
Motherboard
UX501JW-UB71T
GPU
GTX 960m
RAM
16GB 1600 9-9-9-27
Hard Drive
512GB PCI-e SSD
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
4k IPS
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post
The refresh rate is tied to the hardware. Early vr was concerned with running 90Hz let alone 200hz. I think the gpu power is now here to run well above 90Hz for vr if the hardware is made available.
This is just the most lame excuse ever.

Given that they had to nearly re-invent the graphics pipeline, they could have done it to any display spec they wanted.

This was the best opportunity we will ever have to make high refresh rates THE standard for gaming, but in the end the approach they took was they looked for the absolute bare minimum standard framerate that they could get away with and bet EVERYTHING on making that the standard for VR.
Thus, VR is a sad joke.
A tragedy that people will tell of to their grandchildren and warn of the great depths of human stupidity.

ZERO effort was made to get VR working at high framerates, except from Sony, ironically, and thus the only VR headset that is locked to a console is also the ONLY VR HEADSET CAPABLE OF 120HZ!!!
#[email protected]% MY LIFE.
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 82 (Unique: 62)
bought the Samsung HMD Odyssey last year
haven't tried it once

Nvidia Surround Gaming
My PC Hardware Upgrade CyclesWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
CPU: Athlon 1.3GHz | Core 2 Duo OC'd 2.0GHz | Core i5-3570K OC'd 4.8GHz
RAM: 2x256MB DDR-333MHz | 2x1GB DDR2-667MHz -> 2x2GB DDR2-800MHz | 4x4GB OC'd DDR3-2133MHz
GPU: GeForce2 MX 64MB -> Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB | Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB | GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB SLI OC'd
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 455 (Unique: 387)
Quote: Originally Posted by littledonny View Post
You are correct, but the evolution from a game as a good to a game as a service hasn't been completely fictitious. We now expect patches and support for years after games launch. When games were goods, patches and support were never a sure thing. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up for debate, but we have given up a lot of rights of ownership in exchange for (expected) consistent improvement of the product.
It seems a bit like excuses, not your explanation but that granting a "transferable" licence as opposed to "non transferable" somehow impedes ability to provide patches or support or even just to provide a working product without bugs or glitches as promised.

Especially for a game the support and improvement window can be pretty low, further BF or COD support/improvement for the old games after the new one has released? I'm not expecting it, you're supposed to put down the old one and get the new one. More likely because it is now possible to patch games at a later date you're just getting a far more buggy/glitchy release along with "we'll patch whatever they moan about the most" and all dressed up in "we're listening and you're important".

I'm sure someone would happily give me the price of a pint of beer to play my old BF3 or 4 that are no longer supported but they've been blocked deliberately and can only give EA a higher price (sorry I don't have any recent AAA on Steam). - That seems closer to the true intent of "non-transferable" to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in