[GoL]Valve making their own VR HMD + new VR Half-Life - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[GoL]Valve making their own VR HMD + new VR Half-Life

post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:42 PM
New to Overclock.net
ILoveHighDPI is an unknown quantity at this point ILoveHighDPI is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm mostly coming at this from the perspective of a racing game enthusiast.
VR has to compete with Triple Monitor setups, or now Ultrawide monitors are becoming a compelling option.

It looks like the new standard for VR is 2880x1440 at 90hz, so that's 746 Million pixels per-second (across two displays), for $399 it isn't a bad deal.
3440x1440 100hz monitors can be had for nearly the same price, but the thing there is we should be seeing 200hz versions of that any time now.
By this time next year the top of the line VR headsets coming out right now will look antiquated again.

We're in the middle of the most significant change in display standards since "HDTV" and everyone working on CV1 VR knew that, they had the resources to do at least twice as good as what they did and they just sat on their thumbs acting like the worst displays we've seen in a decade would pass for "bleeding edge" technology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:03 PM
New to Overclock.net
twitchyzero Level 1

UW is not as immersive but it's right there ready for you

you don't have to strap on something that may be sit uncomfortably on your glasses after an hour

Nvidia Surround Gaming
My PC Hardware Upgrade CyclesWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
CPU: Athlon 1.3GHz | Core 2 Duo OC'd 2.0GHz | Core i5-3570K OC'd 4.8GHz
RAM: 2x256MB DDR-333MHz | 2x1GB DDR2-667MHz -> 2x2GB DDR2-800MHz | 4x4GB OC'd DDR3-2133MHz
GPU: GeForce2 MX 64MB -> Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB | Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB | GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB SLI OC'd
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:36 AM
To The Game
Chargeit is on a distinguished road Chargeit is on a distinguished road Chargeit is on a distinguished road

Google's idea for walking around in vr. Not sure how much faith I have in such a product but it's surely a better idea then the massive multi-thousand dollar treadmill's other companies are working on.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-...ews-28546.html

If you could really walk around in a vr space it would be a game changer. In Fallout 4 VR I'd position myself in my play space so I could kind of walk around my power armor looking at it and it's amazing the affect that has on your brains perception of the vr world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:12 AM
New to Overclock.net
Doomtomb Level 1

This is fake news. Valve doesn't make games anymore.

post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:32 PM
New to Overclock.net
matthew87 Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
Source

This makes sense. Half Life changed 3D shooters with the addition of scripted sequences feeding an overall narrative. HL2 set a new graphical benchmark while creating an entire eco-system centered inside of Steam. Every time Valve delivers a completely new Half Life it's to redefine the industry in some way. So, I guess this time they are going to try to make a killer-app for VR.
IMO HL2 wasn't any more graphically impressive than many other games released at the time.

I also doubt Valve will have any success with this, just like Steam OS. They seem to love cooking up ideas to turn themselves into the next Apple and build their own walled garden.

I dont trust Valve anyore to have any genuine pro-consumer intentions. It's all about money, revenue, control, walled garden to them now days.

Last edited by matthew87; 11-19-2018 at 02:38 PM.
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:57 PM
New to Overclock.net
SpartanVXL Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by matthew87 View Post
IMO HL2 wasn't any more graphically impressive than many other games released at the time.

I also doubt Valve will have any success with this, just like Steam OS. They seem to love cooking up ideas to turn themselves into the next Apple and build their own walled garden.

I dont trust Valve anyore to have any genuine pro-consumer intentions. It's all about money, revenue, control, walled garden to them now days.
You couldn't be more off the plot than that. You sure you're thinking of Valve and not Oculus/Facebook?

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr

Seriously, the sdk is right there for people to use. This HMD isn't all about the financial gain, it's about the next generation of gaming interface (and HCI, human-computer interaction).

The Dangers of WEP (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K go_quote.gif

Holy crap you were using the epitome of unsafeness WEP? That's like using a few pieces of toilet roll as a wall against a nuke. Not good enough.
People and 60Hz (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallsignVega go_quote.gif

People are still going on about this 60 Hz vs whatever stuff? lol

I'd like to see a guy show up with a 60 Hz IPS panel at a quake tourney and play against the guys with 160 Hz CRT's. He would get utterly destroyed. I can't even use 60 Hz monitors non-desktop anymore, makes baby jesus cry.
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:21 PM
New to Overclock.net
littledonny Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
It seems a bit like excuses, not your explanation but that granting a "transferable" licence as opposed to "non transferable" somehow impedes ability to provide patches or support or even just to provide a working product without bugs or glitches as promised.

Especially for a game the support and improvement window can be pretty low, further BF or COD support/improvement for the old games after the new one has released? I'm not expecting it, you're supposed to put down the old one and get the new one. More likely because it is now possible to patch games at a later date you're just getting a far more buggy/glitchy release along with "we'll patch whatever they moan about the most" and all dressed up in "we're listening and you're important".

I'm sure someone would happily give me the price of a pint of beer to play my old BF3 or 4 that are no longer supported but they've been blocked deliberately and can only give EA a higher price (sorry I don't have any recent AAA on Steam). - That seems closer to the true intent of "non-transferable" to me.
All good points. Personally, I think the license should be transferable by law once the product is deemed end-of-life and server costs drop below a certain threshold.

post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Evangelist
Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by matthew87 View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by SpartanVXL View Post
You couldn't be more off the plot than that. You sure you're thinking of Valve and not Oculus/Facebook?

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr

Seriously, the sdk is right there for people to use. This HMD isn't all about the financial gain, it's about the next generation of gaming interface (and HCI, human-computer interaction).
Steam OS was always just a spin on vanilla Debian/GNOME with a game-pad focused UI tacked on(Big Picture Mode). You can't wall off proper Linux. God help us, Microsoft is probably going to try anyway, but nothing Valve has done indicates that. Also, nothing Valve has done with Proton+DXVK is closed source. GOG, EA, etc can all grab what Valve has done and adapt it to their own services to extend Linux support to their titles if they don't want to run them through Steam. Hell, for that matter they helped the AMD opensource community get the open source drivers into shape.

I don't know anything about the Valve VR project. VR has never been on my radar, I don't care about it at all, but then Soundblasters weren't a must have for a PC until Wing Commander arrived with support for them. I am open to VR headsets doing the same with a good enough game. I care about Half Life. Now, Half Life 1 absolutely did not set any new graphical bars in way of framerates or particle effects or whatever, it set them is so many other ways. Half Life 2 refined all of it, set the bar for mod tools, and yes Source engine was demanding for it's time. I'm rooting for Valve to make me care about this game, and then care about playing it in VR.

I am so far not expecting either, because as I have already stated I don't care about the time between the first and second games, and I currently think of VR as an expensive gimmick when I have better things to do with my money like homebrew CNC machines.

As far as the next generation of gaming interface... mouse and keyboard have been around for longer than you think. Back before the even rise of Silicon valley with the microprocessor. I don't see anything taking it's place.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in