[GoL]Valve making their own VR HMD + new VR Half-Life - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[GoL]Valve making their own VR HMD + new VR Half-Life

post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Evangelist
Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point

[GoL]Valve making their own VR HMD + new VR Half-Life

Source
Quote:
The uploadvr website has claimed they have had it confirmed by various sources that it is in fact real. As someone who really wants to try VR, I am hopeful Valve will be able to give it a decent price. The current price for most VR hardware is simply out of reach for a lot of people, myself included.

Even more interesting, is that Valve are apparently working on a new Half-Life which will be a VR title. That certainly could be one way to push adoption, I imagine that would turn a few heads that otherwise wouldn't have been interested. Could backfire too of course, if it's VR-only. To keep expectations in check though, reportedly it's a Half-Life 2 prequel and not Half-Life 3.
This makes sense. Half Life changed 3D shooters with the addition of scripted sequences feeding an overall narrative. HL2 set a new graphical benchmark while creating an entire eco-system centered inside of Steam. Every time Valve delivers a completely new Half Life it's to redefine the industry in some way. So, I guess this time they are going to try to make a killer-app for VR.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:06 PM
PC Evangelist
ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about

"The current price for most VR hardware is simply out of reach for a lot of people". That was the case but simply not true these days.

Ishimura
(13 items)
Yamato
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Z170 Deluxe
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 280L
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:18 PM
New to Overclock.net
blodflekk Level 1

I hope this isn't true, or at least it isnt VR exclusive, there are many (myself included) gamers that aren't interested in VR and especially with a new half life game we'd want a sequel to the cliffhanger ending we were left with.

And War, War Never Changes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:03 PM
New to Overclock.net
ILoveHighDPI is an unknown quantity at this point ILoveHighDPI is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone needs to get a 200hz VR headset on the market, the current state of the industry is absolutely pathetic.
Fixing that would probably go a long way toward boosting VR adoption.

And no, it doesn't matter how powerful the GPU in your target user's system is, you can design software to conform to basically any standard at this point, it's all a matter of how you tune the graphics settings.

The best games in history are still mostly from generations long past, any game design you want running at 200hz in VR will easily do so.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:31 PM
New to Overclock.net
TheBDK Level 1

I'd rather have episode 3 than a vr gimmick ....
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:05 PM
PC Evangelist
ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about ZealotKi11er has a spectacular aura about

I hope its VR exclusive so it can exclude all the VR haters. HL2 bought Steam to masses. It changed the norm. People hated it and did not like it. They wanted physical media.

Ishimura
(13 items)
Yamato
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Z170 Deluxe
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 280L
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:08 PM
To The Game
Chargeit is on a distinguished road Chargeit is on a distinguished road Chargeit is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
Someone needs to get a 200hz VR headset on the market, the current state of the industry is absolutely pathetic.
Fixing that would probably go a long way toward boosting VR adoption.

And no, it doesn't matter how powerful the GPU in your target user's system is, you can design software to conform to basically any standard at this point, it's all a matter of how you tune the graphics settings.

The best games in history are still mostly from generations long past, any game design you want running at 200hz in VR will easily do so.
90Hz works well. What really needs to be done is remove the wires and increase the fov. Though I find the lack of physical space to be a larger limit then anything mentioned. I really need to test my rift out at room-scale in my 2 car garage before selling the thing.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:57 PM
New to Overclock.net
Darren9 is on a distinguished road Darren9 is on a distinguished road Darren9 is on a distinguished road Darren9 is on a distinguished road Darren9 is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
I hope its VR exclusive so it can exclude all the VR haters. HL2 bought Steam to masses. It changed the norm. People hated it and did not like it. They wanted physical media.
Indeed, my Steam account is exactly as old as HL2, and I did have the physical media, not a code in a box. That was the old days and every now and then I'd take the games I'd finished/got bored of and go to the local "game exchange" get a few quid back and get something else. HL2 was the first one I got stuck with, "can't accept that it's tied to the account, nothing we can do, sorry". We did used to own the things we bought and could decide what to do with them, seems ridiculous to say that today. HL3 but only if you buy the new Steam Hardware seems pretty low to me but I'm not at all surprised.

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Evangelist
Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm one of the people that hopes HL3 is actually HL3, and not HL-VR. I don't care about the Combine Invasion and don't want to play through a series of force failures and cliched NPC deaths on my way to what will become City 17. What I would really like is a fusion of Portal with HL, where the gravity gun and Portal gun both have to be used, and hopefully where the control scheme is finally updated to be less clunky, but most importantly, at the cliffhanger Episode 2 left off on TEN FRICKEN YEARS AGO.

Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
Indeed, my Steam account is exactly as old as HL2, and I did have the physical media, not a code in a box. That was the old days and every now and then I'd take the games I'd finished/got bored of and go to the local "game exchange" get a few quid back and get something else. HL2 was the first one I got stuck with, "can't accept that it's tied to the account, nothing we can do, sorry". We did used to own the things we bought and could decide what to do with them, seems ridiculous to say that today. HL3 but only if you buy the new Steam Hardware seems pretty low to me but I'm not at all surprised.
We didn't own the software we bought. We owned the physical disc but we were still legally hobbled in just what could be done with it. The only thing Steam has changed is that now you need an internet connection to install a single-player game, even though you usually don't need the connection active to PLAY the game once installed. It's always been this way with closed source software, you just notice it more now.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.

Last edited by Jarhead; 11-12-2018 at 10:30 PM.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:29 PM
New to Overclock.net
Darren9 is on a distinguished road Darren9 is on a distinguished road Darren9 is on a distinguished road Darren9 is on a distinguished road Darren9 is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
We didn't own the software we bought. We owned the physical disc but we were still legally hobbled in just what could be done with it. The only thing Steam has changed is that now you need an internet connection to install a single-player game, even though you usually don't need the connection active to PLAY the game once installed. It's always been this way with closed source software, you just notice it more now.
It wasn't at all illegal for me to take the game I'd purchased to a registered business operating lawfully and transfer it to them for some cash/credit in return, a couple of these "game exchange" stores became national, many stores in many towns/cities, not at all "under the radar" or suspect or suspicious . It is now specifically illegal for me to attempt to transfer my Steam account or anything in it?

I don't think "non transferable" licence was standard across the board from the start, "restrictive TOS" has been a progression. The "game exchange" in my little town wasn't forced out of business because of illegal activities, instead they were forced out of business by a combination of more restrictive licensing more rigorously applied?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in