[Adoredtv] Ryzen 3000, Radeon 3000 Series LEAKS - It's Game On! - Page 97 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Adoredtv] Ryzen 3000, Radeon 3000 Series LEAKS - It's Game On!

post #961 of 1013 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:26 PM
The Sizzler

Rep: 18 (Unique: 16)
Usually not big on paper launches but this is a special circumstance. If AMD can get just enough copies out there to reviewers and get sold out on newegg I say go for it because they haven’t had the performance crown for at least 13 years. That would really light a fire under Intel.

CPU
Intel 5820k
Motherboard
ASUS X99-A
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL Value 16GB 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung sm951 512GB
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G2
Cooling
Custom liquid
Case
Caselabs S8
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
ACER XB270HU
Keyboard
Corsair RGB Strafe Silent
Mouse
Razer Deathadder
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1013 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 02:56 PM
*cough*Stock*cough*

Rep: 230 (Unique: 200)
Quote: Originally Posted by rluker5 View Post
Hopefully the rebirth of the northbridge isn't too costly in terms of performance. It may even help, idk maybe they've figured out a way to lose some performance bottleneck.
The 3 biggest issues with the classic northbridge design was bandwidth, the fact it wasn't full duplex (could only send or receive, but not both at the same time) and that all external communication had to pass through the socket-northbridge link before getting anywhere else. There was also the issue of latency.

The I/O die solves the bulk of these issues:

1. Infinity Fabric, being a significantly newer technology, is inherently faster than any of the old FSB/QPI/HT links ever could be. It's wider and clocked higher than either one of those. This helps bandwidth.
2. It's full duplex and can send and receive at the same time. This will help latency, as the CPU or northbridge doesn't have to wait for the other to finish sending before they can do their own thing. It also doubles the overall bandwidth.
3. Communications, while still having to leave the cores to get routed, don't have to leave the socket until they're sent directly to the destination PHYs. This saves power as the environment between the cores and the communications hardware is always the same, and thus can be far more tightly tuned, resulting in lower latency and higher bandwidth.

There's also the rumor currently going around that AMD has decoupled the IF/Mem clocks. If true, AMD (or the end-user) could really clock the Core-I/O links to much higher values further helping bandwidth and latency. It also helps that nowadays cores have access to much larger cache pools than what was available back in the day.

Will there be a penalty for going the non-integrated route with the I/O die? Most likely. But the bonuses for doing it this way in AMD's eyes outweigh the downsides, and so they're doing it.

Carter, can you explain that in *English*?
Leviathan
(17 items)
Cheapshot Reborn
(8 items)
Charred
(10 items)
CPU
Xeon E5-2690
Motherboard
Biostar TPower X79
GPU
PNY GTX 660 2GB
GPU
Dell GTX 645
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws 4x2GB 1600mhz
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB
Hard Drive
Patriot Pyro 60GB
Power Supply
Seasonic G550
Cooling
Xigmatek Gaia
Case
Xclio Nighthawk
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
Acer S230HL
Monitor
Lenovo Thinkvision L171
Keyboard
Logitech K120
Mouse
Logitech MX310
CPU
Xeon X5650
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
GPU
Asus GTX 460 1GB
RAM
Gskill PI 3x2GB DDR3-1600
Hard Drive
500GB Western Digital
Power Supply
EVGA 500B 500W Bronze
Cooling
Corsair H50
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
CPU
AMD Phenom II x4 940
Motherboard
M3A78-EM
RAM
G.skill 2x2GB DDR2-800
RAM
OCZ 2x2GB DDR2-800
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint 40GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital 1TB
Power Supply
Antec Neo ECO 400W
Cooling
Xigmatek Gaia
Case
Rosewill R102-P-BK Black
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
▲ hide details ▲

post #963 of 1013 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:48 PM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 48 (Unique: 36)
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post
The 3 biggest issues with the classic northbridge design was bandwidth, the fact it wasn't full duplex (could only send or receive, but not both at the same time) and that all external communication had to pass through the socket-northbridge link before getting anywhere else. There was also the issue of latency.

The I/O die solves the bulk of these issues:

1. Infinity Fabric, being a significantly newer technology, is inherently faster than any of the old FSB/QPI/HT links ever could be. It's wider and clocked higher than either one of those. This helps bandwidth.
2. It's full duplex and can send and receive at the same time. This will help latency, as the CPU or northbridge doesn't have to wait for the other to finish sending before they can do their own thing. It also doubles the overall bandwidth.
3. Communications, while still having to leave the cores to get routed, don't have to leave the socket until they're sent directly to the destination PHYs. This saves power as the environment between the cores and the communications hardware is always the same, and thus can be far more tightly tuned, resulting in lower latency and higher bandwidth.

There's also the rumor currently going around that AMD has decoupled the IF/Mem clocks. If true, AMD (or the end-user) could really clock the Core-I/O links to much higher values further helping bandwidth and latency. It also helps that nowadays cores have access to much larger cache pools than what was available back in the day.

Will there be a penalty for going the non-integrated route with the I/O die? Most likely. But the bonuses for doing it this way in AMD's eyes outweigh the downsides, and so they're doing it.
I would hope the new northbridge interconnects would be better than the old ones. Ryzen needs way more communication capabilities than pre Athlon 64 cpus since it is many times faster. My concern is that it would be enough of a downgrade from what Ryzen currently has to make a new bottleneck. But I don't know this. That's something that will have the details shown when it comes out. Also on package, but off die latency isn't that much better than off package latency. At least with my edram cpus.

But we will see. I imagine it will be easier to raise core clocks with simplified cores. Maybe there will be a larger cache that makes ram latency much less relevant. It is nice that we are seeing some creativity again. I hope good things come from it.

L5
(17 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
8 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
1Tb Team ssd
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear, Nova 40, 598se, HE4xx, DT990pro w b.boost earpads
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5, onboard
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
8Gb 1600 samsung
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 1013 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:47 PM
*cough*Stock*cough*

Rep: 230 (Unique: 200)
I would hope the new northbridge interconnects would be better than the old ones. Ryzen needs way more communication capabilities than pre Athlon 64 cpus since it is many times faster. My concern is that it would be enough of a downgrade from what Ryzen currently has to make a new bottleneck. But I don't know this. That's something that will have the details shown when it comes out. Also on package, but off die latency isn't that much better than off package latency. At least with my edram cpus.

But we will see. I imagine it will be easier to raise core clocks with simplified cores. Maybe there will be a larger cache that makes ram latency much less relevant. It is nice that we are seeing some creativity again. I hope good things come from it.
Well I think it's already been (semi)confirmed that L3 cache has received a significant increase in amount per CCX, so that should help mask ram latency.

The bigger boost is that Threadripper and EPYC are both going to see their memory latencies get significantly flatter as all memory accesses only have to pass through the I/O die in and out, instead of having to slingshot across a bunch of different nodes back and forth, especially to nodes that dont have a direct link to the requesting node. That, and bandwidth, as any one CCX can now pull from all 8 memory channels simultaneously instead of being restricted to the local 2 or having to pull across IF. We'll see when the juicier details drop.

Carter, can you explain that in *English*?
Leviathan
(17 items)
Cheapshot Reborn
(8 items)
Charred
(10 items)
CPU
Xeon E5-2690
Motherboard
Biostar TPower X79
GPU
PNY GTX 660 2GB
GPU
Dell GTX 645
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws 4x2GB 1600mhz
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB
Hard Drive
Patriot Pyro 60GB
Power Supply
Seasonic G550
Cooling
Xigmatek Gaia
Case
Xclio Nighthawk
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
Acer S230HL
Monitor
Lenovo Thinkvision L171
Keyboard
Logitech K120
Mouse
Logitech MX310
CPU
Xeon X5650
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
GPU
Asus GTX 460 1GB
RAM
Gskill PI 3x2GB DDR3-1600
Hard Drive
500GB Western Digital
Power Supply
EVGA 500B 500W Bronze
Cooling
Corsair H50
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
CPU
AMD Phenom II x4 940
Motherboard
M3A78-EM
RAM
G.skill 2x2GB DDR2-800
RAM
OCZ 2x2GB DDR2-800
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint 40GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital 1TB
Power Supply
Antec Neo ECO 400W
Cooling
Xigmatek Gaia
Case
Rosewill R102-P-BK Black
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
▲ hide details ▲

post #965 of 1013 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 898 (Unique: 504)
Intel already has a separate I/O die, it is called the chipset. This new/old I/O die is the northbridge. They did away with that when they came out with the Athlon64 and Nehalem, respectively. Both of those architectures were huge advancements. There were ofc other big improvements, but the integration of the northbridge was one too. Hopefully the rebirth of the northbridge isn't too costly in terms of performance. It may even help, idk maybe they've figured out a way to lose some performance bottleneck. Reviews, benchmarks and comparison posts will let us know the details.

I'm glad we have such an open internet.

Edit: To me, an igpu is worth about $50. That is what I would pay extra over a non igpu i7/R7 to have one.

Minor clarification on the part in bold: Intel didn't get rid of the Northbridge with Nehalem right away and even later it will depend on the model, even the 32nm die shrink Westmere. When it came out on the X58 platform, the Northbridge was still there and hosted the 36 lane PCIe controller. What they did do was integrate the triple channel memory controller on the CPU die and this naturally also applies to the 32nm hexacores that were released later for the X58 platform. They only got rid of the Northbridge later for the mainstream P55 platform and even then not quite. The 45nm quad core Core i5's and i7's had the Northbridge fully integrated, but the 32nm Celerons, Pentiums, Core i3's and dual core Core i5's had a dual chip arrangement on the CPU package: a 32nm CPU die with the PCIe controller on board and then a separate 45nm iGPU chip that also hosted the memory controller, which resulted in increased memory latency on those models.

post #966 of 1013 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:46 PM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 48 (Unique: 36)
Thank you for the detailed clarification.

I'm not saying the chiplet I/O is a bad thing. Just that it might have some drawbacks like in single core games. But everything cpu is moving towards better utilization of more cumulative processing power and the chiplet thing is going along with that. There is only so long single core and memory latency dependent games can mask that a 5775c has 80% the processing power of a 7700k, 53% of an 8700k, 50% of a 2700, and 40% of a 9900k. And breaking up the cores is a great way to lower the heat density and price. There will just be some fodder for trolling is all. I don't think it will be some unilateral victory in the shot term like Adoredtv implies.

L5
(17 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
8 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
1Tb Team ssd
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear, Nova 40, 598se, HE4xx, DT990pro w b.boost earpads
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5, onboard
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
8Gb 1600 samsung
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
post #967 of 1013 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
Looks like Ryzen 3000 ANN is closer then we thought:
A lot of MB got new bios with Ryzen 3000 support (even A320! on ASUS) and user on Reddit asked MSI and they confirmed that it's for new Ryzen + TPU DB listed the lineup:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...icted/eid8zd2/
https://www.techpowerup.com/cpudb/?c...ort=generation (look that only Ryzen 7/9 active!)
post #968 of 1013 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 91 (Unique: 72)
Wow a 5ghz clock out of the box is quite the accomplishment. Things are appearing more and more enticing.

post #969 of 1013 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:48 AM
SFV:CE

Rep: 320 (Unique: 243)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hwgeek View Post
Looks like Ryzen 3000 ANN is closer then we thought:
A lot of MB got new bios with Ryzen 3000 support (even A320! on ASUS) and user on Reddit asked MSI and they confirmed that it's for new Ryzen + TPU DB listed the lineup:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...icted/eid8zd2/
https://www.techpowerup.com/cpudb/?c...ort=generation (look that only Ryzen 7/9 active!)
A 16 core/ 32 thread cpu @ 125 tdp sounds amazing. March release?! Take my $$$.

PCMR
(18 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 ULTRA
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q - LED monitor - 4K - 27"
Keyboard
VORTEX POK3R WHITE EDITION
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Joystick modded
▲ hide details ▲
post #970 of 1013 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 52)
I thought these chips were not supposed to be here till june. This comes directly from TechRadar, plus I know that AMD CEO said this also.

AMD is hard at work on Zen 2, the architecture behind AMD Ryzen 3rd Generation. And, according to the latest internet rumors, we could see core counts rising up to 16 and clock speeds up to 5.0GHz. If any of this is true, the desktop processor landscape is going to be extremely compelling when these next-gen chips release sometime in mid 2019.

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Processor
Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi
VGA: Asrock Phantom Gaming Radeon VII
RAM: G-Skill 3200 RipJaws F4-3200C16-16GVK
Storage: Samsung M.2 850 EVO 1TB
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000 Platinum
Cooling: HeatKiller For CPU & Bykski for GPU

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in