[wccftech] Microsoft Rumored to be Working on 4 Different New Xbox Consoles for Release in 2019/2020 - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[wccftech] Microsoft Rumored to be Working on 4 Different New Xbox Consoles for Release in 2019/2020

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:31 AM
New to Overclock.net
mothergoose729 is on a distinguished road mothergoose729 is on a distinguished road mothergoose729 is on a distinguished road mothergoose729 is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Losing the optical disc makes sense; they are extremely bulky for their storage capacity and a prime point of failure. There should just be a few USB ports and maybe an SD card reader.

However, I think splitting the platform into four different segments is probably unwise, and will certainly not be good for consumers. Two models should suffice: the budget one, and the high-end one.
I think microsoft only runs into trouble if there are more than two tiers of performance. As it is, developers are going to target the low end console, and then add additional features for the high end variant. They do this already with PC ports. Ideally, the CPU and memory on the two consoles should be the same, and the only difference should be in the GPU. The high end console can support 4k, higher frame rates, and features like freesync and maybe even a VR implementation, while functionally they run the same games without compromises in core features or game play mechanics.

A high end game console with the right set of features could be enticing to me as a PC enthusiast. PC performance is largely stagnating, so you don't gain much by going high end custom PC anymore, and the performance of a home console can be comparable for two or three years, instead of 18 months max like in past releases. The gaming experience on consoles is almost always more stable and refined. You don't have to fuss with drivers or adjust settings in game. Enthusiast class features like general purpose VR, high resolution, high refresh rate, and variable refresh rate could put console in parity with a gaming PC and be a compelling option. I'll be watching this closely.

Last edited by mothergoose729; 12-20-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie
UltraMega Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post
I think microsoft only runs into trouble if there are more than two tiers of performance. As it is, developers are going to target the low end console, and then add additional features for the high end variant. They do this already with PC ports. Ideally, the CPU and memory on the two consoles should be the same, and the only difference should be in the GPU. The high end console can support 4k, higher frame rates, and features like freesync and maybe even a VR implementation, while functionally they run the same games without compromises in core features or game play mechanics.

A high end game console with the right set of features could be enticing to me as a PC enthusiast. PC performance is largely stagnating, so you don't gain much by going high end custom PC anymore, and the performance of a home console can be comparable for two or three years, instead of 18 months max like in past releases. The gaming experience on consoles is almost always more stable and refined. You don't have to fuss with drivers or adjust settings in game. Enthusiast class features like general purpose VR, high resolution, high refresh rate, and variable refresh rate could put console in parity with a gaming PC and be a compelling option. I'll be watching this closely.
^This

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 03:01 AM
New to Overclock.net
umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about umeng2002 has a spectacular aura about

20 years in the future, people will be collecting the servers the "retro" games ran on, lol.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie
UltraMega Level 1

Since this is an xbox thread, I'm just going to leave this here. Its a good watch:

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in