[Anandtech] Intel Core i9-9990XE : 14C/28T -Up to 5.0/ 255W TDP - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Anandtech] Intel Core i9-9990XE : 14C/28T -Up to 5.0/ 255W TDP

Old 01-15-2019, 02:19 PM
Otherworlder
epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about

what are you guys implying? my point is its time to change architectures, hint *netburst repeat*.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 03:35 PM
⤷ αC
AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by Mysticial View Post
I need to be careful what I say since I'm not entirely sure what I'm allowed to say publicly. But I've been told that Zen2 will not be able to displace Intel for HFTs.

I'll leave that up for interpretation.

I'm guessing the AVX 512 performance isn't there and AVX2 requires a bigger clock drop than on Intel.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Old 01-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Hardware Enthusiast
Mysticial Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

what are you guys implying? my point is its time to change architectures, hint *netburst repeat*.
It doesn't matter what or how good the architecture is. There will always be a market for the best of the best. So whatever is available, the HFTs will go after whatever offers the best performance for them - which happens to be the highest-clocked of something - even if it is so far into the realm of diminishing returns that it sounds stupid to those unfamiliar with the industry.

I can't imagine Intel putting any real effort into "making" these 9990XE chips. They're simply taking the best of what the binning process yields and selling them for a premium.

So it's not taking any resources away from their "next architecture".

Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
I'm guessing the AVX 512 performance isn't there and AVX2 requires a bigger clock drop than on Intel.
It's already public knowledge that Zen 2 won't have AVX512. (AMD pretends it doesn't exist, and it isn't in their GCC patches.)

On the AVX2 throttling, Anandtech did an interview with AMD. They said it won't throttle, but gave a very unsatisfying reason.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13578...rk-papermaster

Quote:
IC: With the FP units now capable of doing 256-bit on their own, is there a frequency drop when 256-bit code is run, similar to when Intel runs AVX2?

MP: No, we don’t anticipate any frequency decrease. We leveraged 7nm. One of the things that 7nm enables us is scale in terms of cores and FP execution. It is a true doubling because we didn’t only double the pipeline with, but we also doubled the load-store and the data pipe into it.

Last edited by Mysticial; 01-15-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 04:35 PM
Otherworlder
epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about epic1337 has a spectacular aura about

It doesn't matter what or how good the architecture is. There will always be a market for the best of the best. So whatever is available, the HFTs will go after whatever offers the best performance for them - which happens to be the highest-clocked of something - even if it is so far into the realm of diminishing returns that it sounds stupid to those unfamiliar with the industry.

I can't imagine Intel putting any real effort into "making" these 9990XE chips. They're simply taking the best of what the binning process yields and selling them for a premium.

So it's not taking any resources away from their "next architecture".

well yes, but this doesn't change the fact that they really do need a new architecture.
of course unless they can pull off a 6Ghz on all cores in their next revision or something equally shocking.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 PM
Overclocker
JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about JackCY has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

"They are implying they will not be updating their high frequency tracing systems to AMD products because Intel parts offer them better performance. Of course dumping $10k is noting for such people and companies when they exploit the trading system for multiples of that every second."

What do you do when architecture is not changing? Hunt for clock speed when you still control manufacturing. 6700K or 9900K what's the difference? Nearly none architecture wise. Even compared to older Core processors it's very similar.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:45 PM
New to Overclock.net
mothergoose729 is on a distinguished road mothergoose729 is on a distinguished road mothergoose729 is on a distinguished road mothergoose729 is on a distinguished road

I need to be careful what I say since I'm not entirely sure what I'm allowed to say publicly. But I've been told that Zen2 will not be able to displace Intel for HFTs.

I'll leave that up for interpretation.
Not much to interpret. You are telling us that Zen2 won't beat intel in single threaded performance.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Almost Canadian
OutlawII Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post
Not much to interpret. You are telling us that Zen2 won't beat intel in single threaded performance.
Your suprised? I also think it will not hit 5.0 ghz
Old 01-15-2019, 06:32 PM
Kill Confirmed
speed_demon Level 1

Not quite. It's more than that as some programs and platforms are designed and optimized for current Intel products. The additional cores and high clock speed can make for an edge over the competition in a sense.

A high latency design is immediately off the table for some specialized uses. These type of chips will never have a game played on them and are not comparable to desktop processors in that way.

That's like saying the Porsche 911 is a great car but Joe down the street says it won't haul a load of 4x8 sheets of drywall like his 1 ton pickup truck will. Of course it won't, that's not what it's meant to do.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:02 AM
The 6502 Still Rocks
Master Chicken Level 1

Sorry, what is an HFT?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:33 AM
New to Overclock.net
doritos93 is an unknown quantity at this point doritos93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
Not quite. It's more than that as some programs and platforms are designed and optimized for current Intel products. The additional cores and high clock speed can make for an edge over the competition in a sense.

A high latency design is immediately off the table for some specialized uses. These type of chips will never have a game played on them and are not comparable to desktop processors in that way.

That's like saying the Porsche 911 is a great car but Joe down the street says it won't haul a load of 4x8 sheets of drywall like his 1 ton pickup truck will. Of course it won't, that's not what it's meant to do.
No details, no specifics, just a rehash of vague use cases and a typical car analogy

Yah ok

I've seen algorithmic trading done with threadRipper for the first time this year

The xmas party was huge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in