[pcgamesn] Not all AMD 300-series AM4 motherboards may be 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU compatible - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[pcgamesn] Not all AMD 300-series AM4 motherboards may be 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU compatible

post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
[pcgamesn] Not all AMD 300-series AM4 motherboards may be 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU compatible

Quote:
AMD’s AM4 platform is set to stick around around until next year, 2020. Until that day arrives, AMD has promised that all of its desktop Ryzen chips will be physically compatible with the current PGA AM4 socket and accompanying chipsets. For the most part, forgetting Threadripper for a moment, AMD has stuck to its word, too. Although support for 3000-series chips may now come down to a question of 16MiBytes.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-300...rds-compatible

If this is true, I'm going to be beyond pissed and dissapointed. I specifically skipped over Intel, and lost gaming performance by going with an X470 Board, and a 2700X, as I was pretty much promised that I would have an upgrade path to the new generation of Ryzen's.

Worse yet, my X470 Gaming Pro Carbon "appears" to only have 16mb Bios capacity.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Main Gaming Rig
(9 items)
Alienware Alpha R1
(5 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU
ROG STRIX RTX 2080
RAM
16GB ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4 3000mhz @ 3466mhz
Hard Drive
WD BLUE 1TB
Power Supply
Thermaltake Grand Toughpower RGB 750W GOLD
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Corsair 570X RGB
Operating System
Windows 10
CPU
Intel i7 4785T
GPU
Nvidia 860M 2GB+BlindRageVbios+335Core+650Memory
RAM
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Hard Drive
1TB 7200RPM
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by andrews2547; 01-19-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 57 (Unique: 47)
Bound to cause an uproar all around. It seems to me that the tech world is always changing and what is considered set in stone today may be turned to sand tomorrow.

$50 says a mod will come out to allow for third gen usage on older boards.

post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:02 PM
High Clocker

Rep: 184 (Unique: 159)
As above im sure they will make a special bios.
If too many cpu microcodes is the issue then all they need to do is, remove some of them from the code.

SLI Voodoo 2 - > GeForce4 MX 420 -> GF 6600GT -> GF 6800GT -> GF 8800Ultra -> AMD 4870 -> AMD 4890 -> CF AMD 5820 -> CF AMD 6850 -> CF AMD 7970 -> SLI GF 680 -> SLI GF 780 -> CF AMD 290X -> GF 980ti -> SLI GF 980ti -> GF 1080ti -> SLI GF 1080ti -> <- RTX 2080ti (DOA/Refunded)
CPU
AMD 8120
CPU
FX 8350
GPU
7970 CFX
GPU
680 SLI
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:10 PM
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.

Rep: 94 (Unique: 60)
"as I was pretty much promised that I would have an upgrade path to the new generation of Ryzen's" by whome? AMD themselves went on record promising this? Or did you just assume a bunch of randoms on the internet somehow knew what they were talking about and had crystal balls that told the future?

Forever a WIP.
(15 items)
CPU
2700X (XFR2/PBO @ 4.25Ghz ).
Motherboard
Asus CH7 Wifi.
GPU
GTX 1080Ti w/ Raijintek Morpheus.
RAM
G.Skill Flare-X 16GB 3200C14 (Running @ 3466Mhz C15).
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (OS), Seagate Ironwolf Pro 6TB (250GB SSD partition+2GB Ram StoreMI setup), Kingston UV400 500GB SSD (half partitioned).
Power Supply
Silverstone Strider Gold 850W ST85F-GS.
Cooling
Stock cooling....(Custom loop build in progress).
Case
Silverstone TJ11 (Custom loop project)..currently in Lian Li V2000 Plus.
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro N.
Monitor
Catleap Yamakasi Q270B @ 110Hz.
Keyboard
Steelseries 6Gv2.
Mouse
Zowie EC2-A.
Mousepad
Puretrak Talent.
Audio
Burson Play, Monoprice Monolith M1060C, Rode NTA1 (With Rode arm), Behringer PS400.
Other
2060mm of radiators stuffed inside/outside a TJ11 in the works + 2x D5 strong, Koolance RP-452X2, Koolance CTR-CD1224, blocks, fittings etc etc...
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by GHADthc View Post
"as I was pretty much promised that I would have an upgrade path to the new generation of Ryzen's" by whome? AMD themselves went on record promising this? Or did you just assume a bunch of randoms on the internet somehow knew what they were talking about and had crystal balls that told the future?
AMD has repeatedly said, over and over again, that they will support the AM4 socket until 2020. On top of that, at CES, one of the first things Lisa said when introducing the new Ryzen's is that the older motherboards will be compatible.

Are you seriously that far out of the know? Maybe pay attention next time.

Main Gaming Rig
(9 items)
Alienware Alpha R1
(5 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
GPU
ROG STRIX RTX 2080
RAM
Hard Drive
WD BLUE 1TB
Power Supply
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Corsair 570X RGB
Operating System
Windows 10
CPU
Intel i7 4785T
GPU
RAM
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Hard Drive
1TB 7200RPM
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:36 PM
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.

Quote: Originally Posted by CelticGamer View Post
AMD has repeatedly said, over and over again, that they will support the AM4 socket until 2020. On top of that, at CES, one of the first things Lisa said when introducing the new Ryzen's is that the older motherboards will be compatible.

Are you seriously that far out of the know? Maybe pay attention next time.
So when they say they will support AM4 to 2020, did that specifically mean all AM4 boards? Because there is a lot of variables involved there, and that's not how it was worded...also did Lisa say ALL boards would be compatible at CES? No she didn't, because that's an impossible blanket statement, due to how much variables are involved between all the different motherboard manufacturers.

Just because you've come to your own conclusions, doesn't mean AMD should be held accountable for that, you've set yourself up for disappointment , not AMD.

And no I'm not that far out of the know, I payed plenty of attention to the industry, and made my predictions with much thought involved, hence why I didn't buy a crap MSI motherboard, and bought a Asus CH7 Wifi, with the best VRM on the market, and I'll be dropping whatever the best 3000 series offering there is available, straight into my board without any issues...so maybe you should take your own advice next time, sunshine.

Forever a WIP.
(15 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asus CH7 Wifi.
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (OS), Seagate Ironwolf Pro 6TB (250GB SSD partition+2GB Ram StoreMI setup), Kingston UV400 500GB SSD (half partitioned).
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro N.
Monitor
Keyboard
Steelseries 6Gv2.
Mouse
Zowie EC2-A.
Mousepad
Puretrak Talent.
Audio
Burson Play, Monoprice Monolith M1060C, Rode NTA1 (With Rode arm), Behringer PS400.
Other
2060mm of radiators stuffed inside/outside a TJ11 in the works + 2x D5 strong, Koolance RP-452X2, Koolance CTR-CD1224, blocks, fittings etc etc...
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by GHADthc View Post
So when they say they will support AM4 to 2020, did that specifically mean all AM4 boards? Because there is a lot of variables involved there, and that's not how it was worded...also did Lisa say ALL boards would be compatible at CES? No she didn't, because that's an impossible blanket statement, due to how much variables are involved between all the different motherboard manufacturers.

Just because you've come to your own conclusions, doesn't mean AMD should be held accountable for that, you've set yourself up for disappointment , not AMD.

And no I'm not that far out of the know, I payed plenty of attention to the industry, and made my predictions with much thought involved, hence why I didn't buy a crap MSI motherboard, and bought a Asus CH7 Wifi, with the best VRM on the market, and I'll be dropping whatever the best 3000 series offering there is available, straight into my board without any issues...so maybe you should take your own advice next time, sunshine.
Large amounts of stupidity in this post here.

Lisa at 6:28 "3rd Gen Ryzen will run on the same AM4 desktop infrastructure, and for all of you that are on Ryzen today, really simple upgrade. Drop in for users."

That almost sounds to me like a blanket statement.

I won't even bother linking dozens of other articles where they state backwards compatibility.

The fact that you didn't even know that they had this stance shows me you are indeed completely out of the know. You have zero clue what your talking about, and are just spewing non sense.

"Just because you've come to your own conclusions, doesn't mean AMD should be held accountable for that, you've set yourself up for disappointment , not AMD."

So AMD explicitly states AM4 will continue to be supported, and boards will be future compatible with future processors, so I buy the newest, latest X470 board, and that was setting myself up for disappointment? I came to my own conclusion by trusting what directly came from their mouths? What an idiotic statement.

And lastly, attacking my choice of motherboard, calling it junk, then boasting how great yours is shows a petty and childlike mentality if you ask me. Pretty weak stuff there.

Main Gaming Rig
(9 items)
Alienware Alpha R1
(5 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
GPU
ROG STRIX RTX 2080
RAM
Hard Drive
WD BLUE 1TB
Power Supply
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Corsair 570X RGB
Operating System
Windows 10
CPU
Intel i7 4785T
GPU
RAM
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Hard Drive
1TB 7200RPM
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by CelticGamer; 01-19-2019 at 04:11 PM.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 283 (Unique: 208)
So what so you swap the UEFI chip for a better one. Takes 5 seconds on my Intel board and I got two of these swappable chips. All depends on your board selection, you get what you pay for, ordered a board with soldered on UEFI chip... oh well that's what you wanted.
If it needs a higher capacity chip to support all the ucode... oh well. Maybe they will do a fork for lower sized UEFI chips with less features or something along those lines to fit it in. Or tell mobo makers to cut their huge amount of crap out of UEFI to fit it in, all the fancy GUI nonsense, auto detection you don't want anyway, ...

They will sort it out sooner or later or someone will do it for them. Don't take a genius to swap the chip. A good service center of mobo maker could do it in 5min.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 04:23 PM
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.

"So AMD explicitly states AM4 will continue to be supported" And it is, and it will be...its up to the Motherboard manufacturers to provide a micro-code update via bios update to the consumer, not AMD, AMD don't directly release bios updates for consumers boards do they? They provide microcodes, and then manufactures chose to do with that what they will, whether you will get a microcode update for your motherboard, is a different story alltogether, as MSI have chosen to use the previous generation of bios, from the 300 series, on their 400 series board..that very reason is why I deem the board crap, not out of childlike mentality, or whatever you would like to call it, simply out of fact..and it quite possibly could result in no bios update from MSI, or it might be a non-issue all together, as they might just cull some old microcode from the 16mb BIOS file, and allow it 3000 series compatibility (that will remain to be seen).

Some boards are going to support 3000 series (I would hazard a guess and say most will), and some may not, due to decisions made by the manufacturers, not AMD, so its not a hard concept to grasp, AMD can make the statement that they are supporting AM4 till 2020, as its the only platform they currently make, for AM4 based Ryzen CPU's, and they can make the statement that "3rd Gen Ryzen will run on the same AM4 desktop infrastructure, and for all of you that are on Ryzen today, really simple upgrade. Drop in for users.", as it will be the case for most end users, if you want to complain about something, blame MSI for being the corner cutting POS company that they are, instead of posting this 4chan quality thread, all its missing is a wojak and alittle bit more "REEEE" from you at this point.

Forever a WIP.
(15 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asus CH7 Wifi.
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro N.
Monitor
Keyboard
Steelseries 6Gv2.
Mouse
Zowie EC2-A.
Mousepad
Puretrak Talent.
Audio
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 04:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 36)
Quote: Originally Posted by CelticGamer View Post

Lisa at 6:28 "3rd Gen Ryzen will run on the same AM4 desktop infrastructure, and for all of you that are on Ryzen today, really simple upgrade. Drop in for users."

That almost sounds to me like a blanket statement.
And where exactly did it say that 3rd gen wasn't supported? What it did say is on some 300 series brands... they may have to make choices with the bios updates on what chips to support. So you get a bios that includes the support microcode for the chip you want to use. That's up to the board maker to supply...

I'm not really sure what the problem is. If the company that made your motherboard doesn't offer the bios support you need that's not because AMD made the CPU non compatible with your AM4 board.

Which also has nothing to do with saying your board is junk or anything remotely like that. Either the company that made it will offer a bios with the microcode support you need or they will not offer it. If you want to run a 3rd gen CPU on your board you don't exactly need a bunch of microcode for chips you're not going to use... so they should offer bios options.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in