[Coreteks]The PS5 chip changes EVERYTHING - Page 12 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Coreteks]The PS5 chip changes EVERYTHING

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #111 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 PM
Zen
Kpjoslee Level 1
 
Kpjoslee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere in US.
Posts: 938
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
That has no affect on whether or not Nvidia thinks there is any need to develop Rasterization any further.
As far as they're concerned GTX is dead end technology, pure Ray Tracing is the end game, I have no doubt that the moment they can ship a 100% RTX core GPU (that can be supported by real games) they will.

The only thing that will sustain Rasterization in the marketplace is either if people refuse to upgrade (thus forcing developers to support old hardware), or if AMD produces a higher spec rasterization card and people actually buy it in enough numbers to convince Nvidia they need to keep working both angles to stay relevant.
Ray Tracing is still in its infancy and it will take several generations to even reach that point. Halting the progress on traditional rasterization performance while solely focusing on RT performance is too risky move and I don't expect Nvidia to be that bold. I am willing to bet they will improve on both fronts until they are confident RT will be fully embraced on most of games.

My home PC
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S TR4
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2711
Monitor
Samsung 55" 4k
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Denon AVR-X3300W
▲ hide details ▲
Kpjoslee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:20 PM
MegaTechPC
Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about
 
Majin SSJ Eric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Saint Simons Island, GA
Posts: 19,081
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
I have no idea how you can put a not released yet CPU with a 3 years old GPU and claim about absolute high end.
Considering AMD might release navi by the end of the year, and rumors still float that nvidia will release a new GTX series, I expect the 1080 will be replaces with much cheaper cards on the same performance level.
And considering the RTX 2070 you can find cheaper than the 1080, it also makes no sense.
Looking at the Steam database and what kind of systems actual "average" gamers are using today, I still absolutely consider the combo of a 2700X (forget about even Zen 2) with a 1080 as being high end. I suppose everyone has their own subjective opinion of what high end is, but considering my 7 year old system with a 4930k and two original Titans in it is still considered to be faster than 96% of all total systems according to 3dmark (https://www.3dmark.com/fs/4934376), I don't think its necessary to have a 9980XE and two 2080Ti's to be considered high end...


3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res



Last edited by Majin SSJ Eric; 01-29-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Majin SSJ Eric is offline  
post #113 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:53 PM
Zen
Kpjoslee Level 1
 
Kpjoslee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere in US.
Posts: 938
Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
Looking at the Steam database and what kind of systems actual "average" gamers are using today, I still absolutely consider the combo of a 2700X (forget about even Zen 2) with a 1080 as being high end. I suppose everyone has their own subjective opinion of what high end is, but considering my 7 year old system with a 4930k and two original Titans in it is still considered to be faster than 96% of all total systems according to 3dmark (https://www.3dmark.com/fs/4934376), I don't think its necessary to have a 9980XE and two 2080Ti's to be considered high end...
That would be stretching the definition of high-end too far. If we talk about 7870/270x performance on Jan 2012, that wouldn't be any different from how we perceive 1080 as of today. We would be able to make exact same kind of argument when talking about PS4's spec back in Jan 2012.

You can also take a look at the state of steam survey on August 2013. Using your argument, PS4 should be considered high end when it was launched.

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/St...One-58833.html

When determining how "high-end" the console is, it was always pitted against most powerful consumer version of CPU and GPU available at the time, not against any statistics of what kind of system actual "average" gamer use, because those stats will be always be heavily skewed toward the lower end since it pretty much takes every possible PC configurations that can run Steam (same with 3Dmark as well)

My home PC
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S TR4
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2711
Monitor
Samsung 55" 4k
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Denon AVR-X3300W
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Kpjoslee; 01-30-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Kpjoslee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #114 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:55 AM
New to Overclock.net
Shadowarez Level 1
 
Shadowarez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Arctic Canada
Posts: 1,788
Just wait for the Pro version which will prob have the higher end navi and tweaked Zen 2. The first ones out door will be minimal upgrades over last Gen the true next Gen will be the refresh.

Shadowarez is offline  
post #115 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 PM
MegaTechPC
Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about
 
Majin SSJ Eric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Saint Simons Island, GA
Posts: 19,081
Quote: Originally Posted by Kpjoslee View Post
That would be stretching the definition of high-end too far. If we talk about 7870/270x performance on Jan 2012, that wouldn't be any different from how we perceive 1080 as of today. We would be able to make exact same kind of argument when talking about PS4's spec back in Jan 2012.

You can also take a look at the state of steam survey on August 2013. Using your argument, PS4 should be considered high end when it was launched.

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/St...One-58833.html

When determining how "high-end" the console is, it was always pitted against most powerful consumer version of CPU and GPU available at the time, not against any statistics of what kind of system actual "average" gamer use, because those stats will be always be heavily skewed toward the lower end since it pretty much takes every possible PC configurations that can run Steam (same with 3Dmark as well)
Remind me again how much money a 7870 or 270X cost when new? Now, how much are 1080's still selling for right now? That's the difference. The 7870 and 270X were NEVER high end products, like ever. The 1080 sold for $700 when it came out and is still very close to that price now, 3 years later. It has also not really been eclipsed in performance by any mid-range parts at significantly lower prices as of now so you can't even make the argument that the performance level is obsolete, because its not.


3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res


Majin SSJ Eric is offline  
post #116 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:27 PM
Zen
Kpjoslee Level 1
 
Kpjoslee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere in US.
Posts: 938
Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
Remind me again how much money a 7870 or 270X cost when new? Now, how much are 1080's still selling for right now? That's the difference. The 7870 and 270X were NEVER high end products, like ever. The 1080 sold for $700 when it came out and is still very close to that price now, 3 years later. It has also not really been eclipsed in performance by any mid-range parts at significantly lower prices as of now so you can't even make the argument that the performance level is obsolete, because its not.
GPUs are going to move to 7nm this year and it will be on full swing by late 2020, and it will definitely pave the way for substantial performance jump from what we see from GPUs from today. 270x (Aug. 2013, same as 7870) was $200 and we will definitely see 1080 performance around $200 by late 2020. RTX 2060 is already close to 1080 performance with MSRP of $350 as of today. 7870 was $350 when it came out in Mar. 2012.

My home PC
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S TR4
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2711
Monitor
Samsung 55" 4k
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Denon AVR-X3300W
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Kpjoslee; 01-30-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Kpjoslee is offline  
post #117 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 09:36 AM
New to Overclock.net
rbarrett96 Level 1
 
rbarrett96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 327
God this guy is boring. I couldn't get through the video because of his voice.
rbarrett96 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off