[Coreteks]The PS5 chip changes EVERYTHING - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Coreteks]The PS5 chip changes EVERYTHING

Old 01-25-2019, 01:08 PM
New to Overclock.net
Hardware Hoshi Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by funky882 View Post
I can totally see APUs replacing dedicated GPUs for most gamers in the future. I recently had to switch from a GTX 980 4770k system to just a 2200G. I overclocked the hell out of it and the ram, and got amazing results. Really wasn’t all that different once you were actually playing the game instead of counting pixels.
That, my friend, was a hell of a downgrade. I did experiment with the 2200G lately because we had to make a gaming rig for a low-budget price range. That solution despite having good RAM-Speeds did nothing special. At best it was at a GTX750 Ti levels with [email protected] settings, sometimes even worse.

You can maybe game on mid settings in games with as good as no demand for graphic. Even a 2016 GPu will outperform this. Such an APU-solution will never be on par with even a real gaming system.

The performance still isn’t there yet, mainly due to memory bandwidth constraints, but with HBM or potentially DDR5, it could alleviate these concerns. I know that dedicated GPUs will still exist as a higher powered part, but I believe that with next gen APUs they will be good enough for most people.
The performance will never be there, no matter the bandwidth. HBM can only cascade the bottlenecks, but not the constraints an APU has. Mainly the limited space, heat and power envelope is the culprit. They may compete with low-end graphics, but never with anything above.

The PS5 chip will absolutely change nothing. Comparing a probably 2020 chips with a 2016 card? Yeah, sound too stupid to be true. The dedicated GPUs get 7nm too, you know. Until the PS5 comes out, this will be already a low-cost solution for the mass market. There is no way the console market is better than the PC market again.

If it would be true, then say hello to the old expensive PS3 days with 600€ entry price. Of course nobody buys at such prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Evangelist
Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point Jarhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by clonxy View Post
Watched first 5 minutes of video... compared gpu chips to listening to the radio... HAHAHAHAHA

This guy obviously doesn't know anything about how much gamer's care about frame rates. We simply don't want to own one and be happy to play... We want to play and be the best and have the best performance.

While GPU's are getting more expensive by the day. That's only the higher end GPU's. I still have my GTX 970 from 2014 and it's still doing very well for most of the games I play today.
And you aren't getting it. He's not talking about gamers, enthusiasts, or whatever you want to call us. He's talking about the whole INDUSTRY. And the audio metaphor is a great example, because I can promise you that the majority of people on this very board don't have a sound card. Most use the onboard audio and whatever crappy speakers they could get cheap when 20 years ago a Sound blaster was required purchasing to escape onboard audio. Just like you haven't changed the audio in your post year 2000 car - OEM car audio is now good enough that almost no one does. Mediocrity is the rule for the masses, not the exception. Doesn't have to work well, it just has to work for cheap.

The change is that this APU has actual horsepower. It's not just cheap. That's the revolutionary change here.

I can totally see APUs replacing dedicated GPUs for most gamers in the future. I recently had to switch from a GTX 980 4770k system to just a 2200G. I overclocked the hell out of it and the ram, and got amazing results. Really wasn’t all that different once you were actually playing the game instead of counting pixels.

The performance still isn’t there yet, mainly due to memory bandwidth constraints, but with HBM or potentially DDR5, it could alleviate these concerns. I know that dedicated GPUs will still exist as a higher powered part, but I believe that with next gen APUs they will be good enough for most people.
And that's the direction AMD is trying to drag the whole industry. I'm okay with it. Kinda looking forward to multi-socket motherboards and no graphics cards.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.

Last edited by Jarhead; 01-25-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:58 PM
New to Overclock.net
Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post
I believe the original Xbox had pretty competitive specs compared to the PCs of the day. It was better than my gaming PC at the time.
The Super NES had better competitive specs than the PC's of the day as far as gaming was concerned.
Sure, the 286 was faster in brute force calculation, but the SNES's graphics abilities destroyed anything on PC. Wing Commander 2 needed a top end CPU just to not get 15 FPS in spaceflight, while the SNES used sprite accelerated graphics (Same for the Sega Genesis). Only issue was the typical slowdown problem from too many objects on screen.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 03:11 PM
New to Overclock.net
dj_tokyu Level 1

Why is this game changing? Maybe if the Xbox one X didn't already exist? This is just a refined architecture and smaller node of what already exists.

It is what it is...
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600x
Motherboard
MSI X370 Gaming plus
GPU
Asus GTX 1070
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 3000mhz
Hard Drive
Sandisk Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Seagate 4gb 7200rpm
Hard Drive
Seagate 4gb 7200rpm
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-211XJBK/WS Blu Ray drive
Power Supply
Keian 600w 80plus Gold KT-AP600-AXG HC
Cooling
Enermax ELC-LMR120S-BS AIO liquid cooler
Case
Fractal Design Focus G FD-CA-FOCUS-BK-W
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit
Monitor
2x HP 23er
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Logitech G602 Wireless mouse
Mouse
Steelseries QCK+
CPU
Intel i7-5700HQ
GPU
Nvidia GTX 960M
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaw series DDR3 1866mhz 16gb F3-1866C11D-16GRSL
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 m.2 SSD 512gb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 m.2 SSD 512gb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD 1tb
Optical Drive
DVD R/RW Combo Drive
Operating System
Windows 10 pro 64-bit
Monitor
SAMSUNG SDC324C panel
Keyboard
Steelseries integrated keyboard
▲ hide details ▲
Old 01-25-2019, 05:38 PM
Graphics Junkie
UltraMega Level 1

So PS5 will have a low power APU or APU like design. Wow Sherlock. Xbox1x is already like this.

This video is pure speculation. It has no original info. It is very informed speculation but this "rumor" isn't based on anything that isn't common knowledge. It probably shouldn't have been posted.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
Old 01-25-2019, 05:48 PM
Not a linux lobbyist
rluker5 Level 1

As a 5775c owner whose igpu graphics still suck, bandwith won't fix the problems of apus. Unlocked power doesn't either. Consoles will keep the fast apus and pc users will be left with 1080p performance at best.

L5
(20 items)
Lea2
(12 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775C
Motherboard
EVGA Z97 Classified
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
GPU
Zotac pciex1 passive gt730 physX
RAM
16 G Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
16 G Team Extreme @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
2xSamsung 840 EVO 250G
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
PNY 480G
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Sennheiser hd598se
Other
Megatron
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Asus 780ti DC2OC
GPU
Asus 780ti DC2OC
RAM
8Gb patriot 1600mhz
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
Samsung 2x4gb sodimm [email protected]
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
50" samsung plasma 720p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
Old 01-25-2019, 08:23 PM
New to Overclock.net
Mooncheese Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by kylzer View Post
stop shilling this guy please

almost everything he has speculated has been false

much like adoredtv
Yeah ok, AdoredTV has an accuracy rate of around 90%. Just because you don't like what someone says, i.e. that your "2080" is in actuality the "2070" and that NGreedia has renamed the entire product stack one model higher (2070, TU-106, no SLI, is 100% in reality a $600 60 card), was deceitful about rasterization performance, and is upselling RT / 3D Vision 2.0 and in aggregate is doing grave harm to the industry doesn't mean that "everything they speculate is false".

Anyhow, with that out of the way, in regards to the PS5, after viewing this video I posted this comment over in the TitanRTX thread:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-...l#post27824886

"I just viewed this video pertaining to the hardware and performance of the PS5 and recalled our conversation here in regards to where we are in terms of CPU and GPU compute performance from a single chip, be it a CPU with integrated graphics or an SOC / APU.

Check this out:

I love how the creator structures it as "It will have a CPU equivalent to Ryzen 2700 and a GPU equivalent to GTX 1070" and then proceeds to mention that it will do that but as an SOC APU.

Very good video. But yeah, this is what 7nm is capable of circa 2020, 2700 + GTX 1070 on a single chip. I mean, it's not a CPU with integrated graphics but something very close here.

P.S.

Oh and $500. Yeah PS5 is going to be $500. 4K 60 FPS native (console games are highly optimized).

Here's a list of console exclusive that I've been wanting to play but have been unable to do so because I'm currently without a console:

Days Gone
God of War
Spiderman
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Gran Turismo Sport
Last of Us Remastered (and Last of Us 2)

I'm going to save and hold out for next year and hope that these games are forward compatible, hopefully with an FPS boost, i.e. both the PS4's Quality and Performance modes together.

The good news is, console games that see a PC port should be better optimized for those of us with more than 4 logical cores.

The bad news is, how is NGreedia going to compete with this?

They aren't.

I stand behind what I stated earlier. We are currently witnessing the death of PC gaming, brought on by insane GPU prices exacerbated by PC gaming not being an attractive, compelling alternative to just spending $500, getting all of really solid console exclusives AND not having to worry about "is that game going to come to PC" ...." is it going to be optimized or bug riddled?" ... " and, will my PC run that?"

RIP PC Gaming: 1995-2020"

I mean from a value proposition, $1300 after taxes for a "2080 Ti" (2080) to get a 22-25% bump in performance up and over 1080 Ti or $500 for a PS5 and $700 in my pocket for, oh I don't know, other more important necessities, life? I'm actually glad that clown in chief Huang decided to double the price of the entire product stack with Turing. I mean had he come out and was honest about at least the names of the GPU's and priced them closer to historical reality, i.e. 2060, 2070 and 2080 for $300, $500 and $800 instead of the "2070", "2080" and "2080 Ti" for $600, $900 and $1200 before taxes I probably would have made a lot of sacrifices and upgraded to the 2080, or I might not have (in reality I would have waited for the 80 Ti, even $800 for only ~25% bump is not really a compelling price / performance upgrade argument) but yeah, thanks for being a lying idiot Huang! Now that $800? Yeah that's going to AMD next year by way of a purchase of a PS5. Golf clap! Great job! But you did succeed in swindling all of the morons that fell for your rename scheme and Empty Promises, I mean Ray Tracing (See Hairworks. See 3D Vision. See actual PhysX).

Boy that Final Fantasy 15 is such a great game! Way to show off that DLSS! And that other game, Battlefail 5, another gem that is complete hit right now! The sales are off of the charts for these titles! Oh but wait, the original Quake is also ray traced! And it only takes your FPS from 240 to 60 @ 2560x1440 with a "2080 Ti"! I can't wait to see how Metro runs with RT on! Can you say 1920x1080 @ 60 FPS with real, as in not half fake "optimized" (fake) ray tracing in Battlefail 5?

That's so worth doubling the price of all of the cards!

Youre a genius Huang!

8700k @ 5.0 GHz - 0 AVX @ 1.37v w/ EK Monoblock + Delid | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | GTX 1080 Ti FE - Full EK Block @ 2025 MHz | EK SE 420 + EK PE 360 | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz XMP | 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO | Corsair RM1000x | Thermaltake View 71 | Alienware AW3418DW + Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (for 3D Vision) on Amazon Basics Arms | Win10 Pro 1703

Last edited by Mooncheese; 01-25-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:41 PM
FX-5000
ShrimpBrime Level 1

@Mooncheese

"People" been saying PC gaming is dead more than a decade ago, yet Steam is doing just fine.

Some people prefer Play station, some prefer XBOX and some prefer PC gaming. I don't think PC gaming is dead, it just fits a certain criteria.

And PC gaming was long before 1995. lol. Where do you get this information man?
Old 01-25-2019, 11:06 PM
MegaTechPC
Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about Majin SSJ Eric has a spectacular aura about

Obviously the PC will always be the most high powered gaming setup you can get because you can brute force better graphics on a PC by throwing tons of cash at it, whereas consoles are limited by budget, power constraints, form factor, etc. The fact that the new PS5 and XB2 will possibly be throwing around equivalent performance to a PC with an AMD 2700 CPU and a 1080 will definitely make a huge difference though, and will make the next generation of consoles far closer to the high end of gaming PC's than I can ever remember them being...

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Old 01-25-2019, 11:26 PM
New to Overclock.net
Ultracarpet is an unknown quantity at this point Ultracarpet is an unknown quantity at this point Ultracarpet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
Obviously the PC will always be the most high powered gaming setup you can get because you can brute force better graphics on a PC by throwing tons of cash at it, whereas consoles are limited by budget, power constraints, form factor, etc. The fact that the new PS5 and XB2 will possibly be throwing around equivalent performance to a PC with an AMD 2700 CPU and a 1080 will definitely make a huge difference though, and will make the next generation of consoles far closer to the high end of gaming PC's than I can ever remember them being...
xbox 360... ps3...?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in