[Coreteks]The PS5 chip changes EVERYTHING - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Coreteks]The PS5 chip changes EVERYTHING

post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
[Coreteks]The PS5 chip changes EVERYTHING

Assuming that he's right, this is the closest AMD is going to get to fulfilling the promises of "The Future is Fusion" when AMD bought ATI. On a practical level you could be looking at multi-socket server mobos becoming the new PC gaming platform of choice.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:29 PM
Debian Dude

Rep: 165 (Unique: 117)
I don't see how his speculation about APUs being able to overtake high performance discrete GPUs could come to pass. It's not a fundamentally different technology--they're both built out of transistors on silicon and are subject to the same forces as limits.

post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Particle View Post
I don't see how his speculation about APUs being able to overtake high performance discrete GPUs could come to pass. It's not a fundamentally different technology--they're both built out of transistors on silicon and are subject to the same forces as limits.
I think his main thesis on APU's is that from a power standpoint. To move information off the CPU requires exponentially more power than actually performing the calculation. The closer you get the GPU to the CPU, the better.

Now you do have to make tradeoffs by doing this, and historically APU's have always been underpowered compared to the monolithic stand-alone CPU + GPU... But we'll see. It shall be quite interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 31)
What a comically garbage headline
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:02 PM
Metokur Fan

Rep: 166 (Unique: 125)
stop shilling this guy please

almost everything he has speculated has been false

much like adoredtv

R.I.P Terry Davis
Cold Start v1.7.3
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Confidential
Motherboard
ASrock Confidential
GPU
GTX 2080 ti
RAM
T-Group 2x8GB 3666mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 PRO 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PLAT 650w
Case
Fractal type C
▲ hide details ▲

post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:47 PM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1092 (Unique: 517)
Quote: Originally Posted by kylzer View Post

much like adoredtv
Uh, Ok.

Silly pot-shots aside (and I didn't watch the video in the OP btw), I've seen plenty of sources claiming the PS5 will feature eight Zen 2 cores and a Navi GPU roughly equivalent in performance to a 1070 or 1080. If those specs turn out to be true I would say that this generation will see the consoles come as close to high end gaming PC's as we've seen in as long as I can remember (though I didn't get into PC gaming until 2011).

A PS5 with those specs would be a revolution for game design and should catapult development further along than any console release over the last 20 years or so, if ever. Think about it, the PS3 may have had more raw processing power at the time than high end PC's did (based on what little I've read about the topic), but the Cell Processor functioned so differently from X86 PC's that it effectively sucked developers AWAY from programming for PC games, while also being incredibly difficult to optimize and write code for. With the current generation of consoles and now this new generation upcoming, we are basically seeing the breaking down of the barrier separating consoles from PC's (with the PS5 seemingly little more than an optimized Zen 2 APU with a Navi IGP) and that will create a situation where developers will be developing games that function basically the same on both PC and console.

It looks as if we are finally seeing the end of PC ports (again, correct me if I am wrong) and that is definitely something to applaud, even if you hate consoles and are full-on PC Master Race...

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
Uh, Ok.

Silly pot-shots aside (and I didn't watch the video in the OP btw), I've seen plenty of sources claiming the PS5 will feature eight Zen 2 cores and a Navi GPU roughly equivalent in performance to a 1070 or 1080. If those specs turn out to be true I would say that this generation will see the consoles come as close to high end gaming PC's as we've seen in as long as I can remember (though I didn't get into PC gaming until 2011).

A PS5 with those specs would be a revolution for game design and should catapult development further along than any console release over the last 20 years or so, if ever. Think about it, the PS3 may have had more raw processing power at the time than high end PC's did (based on what little I've read about the topic), but the Cell Processor functioned so differently from X86 PC's that it effectively sucked developers AWAY from programming for PC games, while also being incredibly difficult to optimize and write code for. With the current generation of consoles and now this new generation upcoming, we are basically seeing the breaking down of the barrier separating consoles from PC's (with the PS5 seemingly little more than an optimized Zen 2 APU with a Navi IGP) and that will create a situation where developers will be developing games that function basically the same on both PC and console.

It looks as if we are finally seeing the end of PC ports (again, correct me if I am wrong) and that is definitely something to applaud, even if you hate consoles and are full-on PC Master Race...
I think "The End of PC Ports" is thinking too wishfully. Even developers with decades of PC development experience make the same mistakes over and over and over...

It is a very good point though that this could be the first generation ever that sees significant effort put into console hardware that isn't held back by obscure architectures.
If the PS3 had been X86 it would have been a very different beast, doubly so if they would have put that mentality into the actual computing hardware instead of adding a $100 Movie Player on-top of it.

This upcoming generation could produce the most graphically competitive hardware in console history. And right now I'd say we need it more than ever before.
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by kylzer View Post

much like adoredtv
Unlike Adored TV as you said he is just speculating and I don't see anything wrong with that.

post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Watched first 5 minutes of video... compared gpu chips to listening to the radio... HAHAHAHAHA

This guy obviously doesn't know anything about how much gamer's care about frame rates. We simply don't want to own one and be happy to play... We want to play and be the best and have the best performance.

While GPU's are getting more expensive by the day. That's only the higher end GPU's. I still have my GTX 970 from 2014 and it's still doing very well for most of the games I play today.
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:44 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
What a waste of time video, talks nothing about PS5 almost let alone the chip. It's a Zen + Navi, it has been known for ages, consoles are nothing more than proprietary PCs, sort of laptop in a box, that's all. So it has a newer APU, big deal...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in