[HardOCP / Windows Central] Windows 10's Live Tiles Dead? Windows Lite Will Reportedly Feature a New Start Menu - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[HardOCP / Windows Central] Windows 10's Live Tiles Dead? Windows Lite Will Reportedly Feature a New Start Menu

Old 01-27-2019, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff
tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about tpi2007 has a spectacular aura about

[HardOCP / Windows Central] Windows 10's Live Tiles Dead? Windows Lite Will Reportedly Feature a New Start Menu

Quote:
MSPoweruser predicts Windows 10’s Start Menu will be getting redesigned because Windows Lite, Microsoft’s ChromeOS competitor, is getting rid of live tiles in favor of a common, static app launcher. As support continues to decrease from both Microsoft and Windows developers, there doesn’t seem to be much of a reason to keep the current Start Menu around, the core portion of which revolves around live tiles. Windows Central, which broke the news on Windows Lite, is convinced the concept is dead due to lack of updates.
Source.

Quote:
Except, as it turns out, most people don't need access to those live tiles on desktop. I've seen internal documentation from Microsoft that suggests people aren't really opening the Start menu to look at or customize live tiles. Users prefer pinning everything to the taskbar.
Quote:
The reason I bring this up is because I've been speaking to quite a few internal sources about Windows Lite, and it's looking like Windows Lite doesn't even have live tiles. It appears Microsoft is entirely omitting this feature in favor of the more common app launcher with static icons as seen on iOS, Android, and Chrome OS. If Windows Lite launches without live tiles, where is the incentive for developers to continue supporting such a feature on desktop?
Source.

Is Microsoft finally going to drop the idea that they've been stubbornly trying to get people to use for the past 22 years?

This all started back in the Internet Explorer 4 days, in 1997, when they bundled that IE version for Windows 95 with some optional components, one of which was the Active Desktop:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Desktop

Quote:
Active Desktop placed a number of "channels" on the user's computer desktop that provided continually-updated information, such as news headlines and stock quotes, without requiring the user to open a Web browser.
It was also shipped with Windows 98 the following year.

For those wondering how it looked like:

Name:  Windows 98 with Active Desktop.png
Views: 480
Size:  39.6 KB

As you can see, it was the perfect playground for, well, ads. What is old is new again, right?

It never gained much traction in either Windows 95 or 98 (nor Me), and after a good period of sanity with Windows XP, where it was available, but not enabled or used, they tried again with Windows Vista, with the Windows Sidebar. Then they made the system more flexible for Windows 7, by not requiring the gadgets to reside in an actual bar, and that was called Windows Desktop Gadgets. And then in 2012, with Windows 7 well under the mainstream support period, dropped support for the feature due to security vulnerabilities and advised people to turn it off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Sidebar

Then they brought the idea back again with the live tiles in Windows 8 and then because it again didn't gain traction, they put them in the Start Menu for Windows 10. And now it's apparently finally going to start to go away. Is Microsoft going to try again or is 22 years of failed attempts enough?

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by tpi2007; 01-27-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 10:45 AM
New to Overclock.net
kakik09 Level 1

Microsoft: We just want you to have information fast and in your face. Why won't you let us omg

It's like going to a shop and the people there attempt to talk you into stuff you don't need when you already know what you came for. Same goes for using the desktop. I already know what I want to do. If I wanted info from a certain app, say Spotify, then I will open Spotify. There's only so much info you can fit into small tiles anyway. Cluster them all together and it just looks like a mess that takes up way too much space. It's just a relief that it can now be disabled/customized in Win10 and I hope it doesn't get more reincarnations in the future.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:46 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

The very first thing I do is run O&O to disable all the spying and forced update crap and disable the thing that re-installs bloatware after you delete it, then I reboot and delete all the junk that would have re-installed it's self, then I remove every single live tile so my Start menu goes back to a normal layout without animated garbage all over it. I skipped 8 entirely because they wanted the OS to focus on damn tiles, sadly it's spilled into 10 to some degree...also I hate that they made everything flat! Why is everything so flat?!

Pin to taskbar FTW!

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 01:09 PM
⎬⎛⎝⎠⎞⎨
TK421 is an unknown quantity at this point TK421 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 01-27-2019, 11:29 PM
Eh, Wha?
Zero4549 will become famous soon enough Zero4549 will become famous soon enough Zero4549 will become famous soon enough Zero4549 will become famous soon enough Zero4549 will become famous soon enough Zero4549 will become famous soon enough Zero4549 will become famous soon enough

I actually really like the windows 10 start menu, sans the bugs where tiles occasionally like to clump up into each other. Ideally, I'd like a hybrid of the current version which allows tile clustering and the 2016 version which allowed deeper customization of the non-tile section.

Just about everything that would typically be on my desktop in older versions of Windows is now in my start menu. Tucked away when not in use, and far easier to access and more visually appealing than an array of folders (or worse yet, just a pile of icon pooped all over the place). Live tiles for things like weather and calendar are a nice bonus and I don't see any downside to having the OPTION to see some info right away instead of having to open the apps first.

I don't get ads in my start menu (or anywhere else outside of my browser for that matter). I never have. I never really understand why people with any computer knowledge whatsoever constantly harp on about ads in the start menu and file explorer.

At the very worst, if you for some reason choose not to use a cleaned up installer, you might have some links to crapware in your start menu that don't actually install until you attempt to run them, a little banner saying onedrive exists and you can use it in your file explorer, and a one time nag about how wonderful edge is if you try to set a new default browser. All 3 are easily and permanently removed.

The new universal app launcher that is proposed frankly looks awful. Might as well just dump icons on the desktop as is traditional at that point. Pin to taskbar for more than the very most commonly launched items is also quite hideous in my eyes. Suppose its popular among the same crowd that loads 20 toolbars into their install of internet explorer 6.

Arcane
(33 items)
Sanctum
(9 items)
Fukurou
(14 items)
CPU
Core i7 980x
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 1080TI DUKE
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning
RAM
Kingston HyperX T1
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black FASS
Hard Drive
Plextor M5S
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Hard Drive
WD FALS
Optical Drive
Sony DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
Optical Drive
LG Bluray + HDDVD
Power Supply
EVGA 1000 P2
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 360
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 240
Case
Cooler Master HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro (64)
Monitor
X-Star DP2710
Monitor
ASUS VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms LCD
Keyboard
X-Armor U9BL (Mech)
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
Cougar Control
Audio
ATH-A900X
Audio
Maudio AV-40
Audio
Polk PSW-10
Audio
Zalman Mic-1 (Clip-on Mic)
Audio
Sound Blaster X7 LE
Other
Logitech G13
Other
Wacom Intuos 3
Other
Modded PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and Logitech PC Controllers
Other
Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS
Other
Rocketfish 720p Webcam
Other
Scythe "3-Foot Switch"
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
RX Vega 64
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960
Hard Drive
Consatellation
Power Supply
Corsair HX 1050
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Core i5-661
Motherboard
GA-H55-USB3
RAM
12GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB
Hard Drive
Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD)
Optical Drive
Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner
Power Supply
Seasonic X750 Gold
Cooling
H50 (With push/pull nocturas)
Case
CM690 II
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64
Monitor
LG 47inch LED LCD
Keyboard
Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless
Audio
Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp.
▲ hide details ▲

Old 01-28-2019, 02:04 AM
Graphics Junkie
UltraMega Level 1

Why not just let the live tiles be something you can pin to the taskbar?

Problem solved.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
Old 01-28-2019, 05:47 AM
News Fiend
ryan92084 Level 1

I like the weather, news, and calendar live tiles but anything else I couldn't really be bothered with. I'm also the guy that liked that sidebar thing on vista

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 8
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ryan92084; 01-28-2019 at 05:50 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in