[MacRumors] Apple Said to Release 31.6-Inch 6K Display With Mini LED-Like Backlight Design in 2019 - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[MacRumors] Apple Said to Release 31.6-Inch 6K Display With Mini LED-Like Backlight Design in 2019

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Performance is the bible
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,788
Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
Quote: Originally Posted by junglechocolate View Post
Yeah but why stop there, lets go to 10K. Ridiculous. this doesn't add anything gaming wise. Bring back 3D Please. Much more immersive than this constant resolution jump. It's still flat 2D
Resolution jump (outside of creative work usage), helps create better realism. There is a limit to how high resolution you can go for gaming, which will also be limited with GPU power.
3D monitors were a niche at best. Nvidia already announced that 3d vision is dead, and AMD basically stopped supporting it in 2016 or so.
The real immersion is VR. And GPU power is still struggling a bit to catch up with that rendering 2Kx2.


Defoler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:19 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
junglechocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 375
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Resolution jump (outside of creative work usage), helps create better realism. There is a limit to how high resolution you can go for gaming, which will also be limited with GPU power.
3D monitors were a niche at best. Nvidia already announced that 3d vision is dead, and AMD basically stopped supporting it in 2016 or so.
The real immersion is VR. And GPU power is still struggling a bit to catch up with that rendering 2Kx2.
It was dead because of the bad marketing. Everyone and I mean everyone I have shown my 3D TV with movies and games have been blown away by it. THese fools didn't believe in the tech . Yes I am salty and mad. Going from 1080p to 4K didn't do anything for me. Its still the same flat image.

VR is way to weildy and blocks you from seeing anything else around you. glasses, just slap them on and forget about it.

i7 930 @ 3.8Ghz HT
Asrock X58 Extreme 3
Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti BE SC
Corsair RMS 750W
LG C6 4K 3D OLED 55", Potalion 1440p Korean IPS "glossy panel", Dell Ultrasharp U2515H
junglechocolate is offline  
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:29 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
ILoveHighDPI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,288
Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by junglechocolate View Post
It was dead because of the bad marketing. Everyone and I mean everyone I have shown my 3D TV with movies and games have been blown away by it. THese fools didn't believe in the tech . Yes I am salty and mad. Going from 1080p to 4K didn't do anything for me. Its still the same flat image.

VR is way to weildy and blocks you from seeing anything else around you. glasses, just slap them on and forget about it.
I have access to a bunch of shutter glasses and a 3D TV and I have never used them more than once.
I couldn’t even get through the opening scene of Prometheus in 3D without getting a headache.
I get the same thing with the Nintendo 3DS, except that Nintendo wisely added a user controlled parallax slider so I can actually enjoy playing games in 3D with the effect turned down to the absolute minimum.
3D can provide useful visual data over and above the default 2D image, but almost all implementations are calibrated to give a totally unnatural amount of image separation which is betrayed by both the flawed technology (I can see shadows of both images in any single panel 3D display tech I’ve ever seen, VR with its totally separate screens is the only way to do high quality 3D), and the bizarre levels of depth that are utterly unlike anything you will ever experience in real life.
My brain just rejects the whole thing from the start.

Go back 10 years and tell people to actually film movies with correct depth (anything more than about 40 feet away is perceived as 2D) in mind and 3D would have stood a chance, but with the way movies are marketed they have zero consideration for realism or comfort and blew the whole premise on trying to force everything to look “Maximum 3D” all the time.
As long as this technology has any possibility of influence from publishers there is no point in even trying.


Higher resolution is seeing less return on investment at higher pixel densities, but the fact is you do still get returns.
An average person can see higher levels of sharpness up to about 300 Pixels Per Degree (“Hyperacuity”, your ability to see relative positioning of high contrast shapes, is approximately 5X sharper than “Visual Acuity” which is your ability to see the smallest distinct points of detail: https://michaelbach.de/ot/lum-hyperacuity/index.html), that means 8K is still beneficial at a 55” screen size and 9’ viewing distance.
Keep in mind that Movies recorded from real photons don’t suffer aliasing to anywhere near the same degree that rasterized images do, in a game any geometry that fits between the sample points for two pixels actually disappears entirely. Where 8K might seem less useful in movies, we need more sample points just to produce a coherent image in games and for that reason alone I prefer to run my games with Super Sampling as much as possible.
It’s really a shame that most engines don’t support MSAA anymore.
ILoveHighDPI is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:51 PM
Graphics Junkie
 
UltraMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 1,407
Rep: 33 (Unique: 29)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
No.

Please be more accurate when you throw hate toward something, justified or not. You are only empowering those who think you are wrong, by pointing out where you are wrong, and hence why your point is invalid.

Apple sued a repair shop in norway (which is what you refer, not "shops"), because he imported aftermarket parts which had the apple logo on them. Not because they didn't want him to repair their products out of warranty.
Apple claimed the markings of apple on unauthorised parts were infringe trademarks. They claimed that using their logo, he was acting as an authorised repair shop even though he wasn't.
They didn't sue him because he repaired their products, they sued based on him using their logo on the products he sold.

The shop owner claimed that without using those logos coming from his vendors, he can't work in the market environment.
The courts in norway agreed that he can keep importing those parts as long as it understood between him and the client that the parts are not apple authenticated parts.
Apple also appealed.

So what you claim isn't exactly right.
Yes, apple work against the right to repair. As a business I understand them. They don't want someone who replaced a screen and by that had other issues because his repair shop did not do a good job, and now demand them to fix a problem under warranty. And they want to sell overpriced parts, of course, just like every vendor.
Many companies do that. Even those that you think are "good" vs apple's "evil".
You as a customer, should lobby the opposite through your representatives.

All that, doesn't mean I disagree with you, and I think that right to repair should apply.
OK, maybe I'm wrong about the lawsuit though I believe they have done it multiple times and some of those times ARE just for doing repair. But that aside..

I do computer repair. Anyone who does repair knows Apple makes things intentionally harder, and not just by a small margin, to drive up costs. That part is undeniable. If you buy an Apple product, you just pay more from start to finish and from the perspective of a computer repair business, it's just pointless frustration.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
UltraMega is online now  
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:02 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
toncij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,755
Rep: 60 (Unique: 41)
Quote: Originally Posted by junglechocolate View Post
Yeah but why stop there, lets go to 10K. Ridiculous. this doesn't add anything gaming wise. Bring back 3D Please. Much more immersive than this constant resolution jump. It's still flat 2D
This is not intended for gaming. Games are stuck at 4K and will be for a while. Gaming wise, I want combo - 120Hz+, HDR, 4K.

My GPUsWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
3dfx Voodoo, 2x3dfx Voodoo 2, Voodoo 3, Creative Riva TNT 2 Ultra, GeForce 256, ATi Radeon 3D Rage Fury MAXX, GeForce 2 Ultra, ATi Radeon DDR 7500, ATi Radeon 8500, ATi Radeon 9000 Pro, ATi Radeon 9800 XT, ATi Radeon X600 XT, ATi Radeon X850 XT, GeForce 8800GTX, ATi Radeon X1650 XT, GeForce GTX 280, ATi Radeon HD 2900XT, ATi Radeon HD 3870 X2, GeForce GTX 480, ATi Radeon HD 7970 (x2), GeForce GTX 780Ti, GeForce Titan Black (x4), GeForce 970 (x2), GeForce Titan X (x19), AMD RadeonProDuo (x2), GeForce 1080 (x2), Titan X (Pascal) (x2), EVGA FTW 1080 (x2), Quadro P6000 (x2), 1080Ti FE (x2), Titan Xp (x2), TITAN V+ 1080Ti (x2)
toncij is offline  
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:06 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
m4fox90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 487
Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by toncij View Post
This is not intended for gaming. Games are stuck at 4K and will be for a while. Gaming wise, I want combo - 120Hz+, HDR, 4K.
And proper Windows scaling, too.

Silence in the Snow
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
RTX 2080Ti Black Edition/Hydro Copper
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws V 16 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
EK PE360 + Hardware Labs Black Ice GTS360
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Predator XB271HU
▲ hide details ▲
m4fox90 is offline  
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:32 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
toncij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,755
Rep: 60 (Unique: 41)
Quote: Originally Posted by m4fox90 View Post
And proper Windows scaling, too.
Well, it works now, since 1809 it's fine.

My GPUsWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
3dfx Voodoo, 2x3dfx Voodoo 2, Voodoo 3, Creative Riva TNT 2 Ultra, GeForce 256, ATi Radeon 3D Rage Fury MAXX, GeForce 2 Ultra, ATi Radeon DDR 7500, ATi Radeon 8500, ATi Radeon 9000 Pro, ATi Radeon 9800 XT, ATi Radeon X600 XT, ATi Radeon X850 XT, GeForce 8800GTX, ATi Radeon X1650 XT, GeForce GTX 280, ATi Radeon HD 2900XT, ATi Radeon HD 3870 X2, GeForce GTX 480, ATi Radeon HD 7970 (x2), GeForce GTX 780Ti, GeForce Titan Black (x4), GeForce 970 (x2), GeForce Titan X (x19), AMD RadeonProDuo (x2), GeForce 1080 (x2), Titan X (Pascal) (x2), EVGA FTW 1080 (x2), Quadro P6000 (x2), 1080Ti FE (x2), Titan Xp (x2), TITAN V+ 1080Ti (x2)
toncij is offline  
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:59 AM
Performance is the bible
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,788
Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
OK, maybe I'm wrong about the lawsuit though I believe they have done it multiple times and some of those times ARE just for doing repair. But that aside..

I do computer repair. Anyone who does repair knows Apple makes things intentionally harder, and not just by a small margin, to drive up costs. That part is undeniable. If you buy an Apple product, you just pay more from start to finish and from the perspective of a computer repair business, it's just pointless frustration.
Something like this apple had only done once and never heard of similar cases, and it is just being circulated around constantly.
I have not found any other such lawsuit, and everyone who refer to anything else, ends up linking for the same lawsuit.
It could be not the only one, but it is the only one people refer to, and the one that made a lot of noise.
There is the youtube guy who also claimed that apple threatened him, and nothing was ever progressed from there. He was never in a lawsuit against apple.

Regarding hard to repair, I totally agree. And that is something people should decide on when buying a new hardware.
You can choose to not buy apple because of it, or accept it and buy it anyway for any reason you prefer.
But that is something conscious. Most phones today are hard to repair, many ultrabooks are following apple and are hard to repair. That is something we move on to. Companies (not just apple), want you to buy a new one when the old one dies.
You can vote with your wallet, or not. I chose to buy a MacBook pro because that is the best tool for me, and the price is acceptable. Others I know chose not to buy even though they wanted to. Their choice.
Free market.



Last edited by Defoler; 04-29-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Defoler is offline  
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:29 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
toncij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,755
Rep: 60 (Unique: 41)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Something like this apple had only done once and never heard of similar cases, and it is just being circulated around constantly.
I have not found any other such lawsuit, and everyone who refer to anything else, ends up linking for the same lawsuit.
It could be not the only one, but it is the only one people refer to, and the one that made a lot of noise.
There is the youtube guy who also claimed that apple threatened him, and nothing was ever progressed from there. He was never in a lawsuit against apple.

Regarding hard to repair, I totally agree. And that is something people should decide on when buying a new hardware.
You can choose to not buy apple because of it, or accept it and buy it anyway for any reason you prefer.
But that is something conscious. Most phones today are hard to repair, many ultrabooks are following apple and are hard to repair. That is something we move on to. Companies (not just apple), want you to buy a new one when the old one dies.
You can vote with your wallet, or not. I chose to buy a MacBook pro because that is the best tool for me, and the price is acceptable. Others I know chose not to buy even though they wanted to. Their choice.
Free market.
There is a difference when you buy a commodity phone of $1000 and a professional tool of $10.000. Repairability is critical. From experience, unless you have Apple Store in town, don't bother buying Apple as a professional machine, unless you can live through the downtime.

My GPUsWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
3dfx Voodoo, 2x3dfx Voodoo 2, Voodoo 3, Creative Riva TNT 2 Ultra, GeForce 256, ATi Radeon 3D Rage Fury MAXX, GeForce 2 Ultra, ATi Radeon DDR 7500, ATi Radeon 8500, ATi Radeon 9000 Pro, ATi Radeon 9800 XT, ATi Radeon X600 XT, ATi Radeon X850 XT, GeForce 8800GTX, ATi Radeon X1650 XT, GeForce GTX 280, ATi Radeon HD 2900XT, ATi Radeon HD 3870 X2, GeForce GTX 480, ATi Radeon HD 7970 (x2), GeForce GTX 780Ti, GeForce Titan Black (x4), GeForce 970 (x2), GeForce Titan X (x19), AMD RadeonProDuo (x2), GeForce 1080 (x2), Titan X (Pascal) (x2), EVGA FTW 1080 (x2), Quadro P6000 (x2), 1080Ti FE (x2), Titan Xp (x2), TITAN V+ 1080Ti (x2)
toncij is offline  
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:51 PM
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
 
Alex132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,357
Rep: 342 (Unique: 274)
It's pretty funny seeing people in this thread not understand the point of this monitor.



| This Cannot Continue | We Are Become As Gods | This Cannot Continue |

Vehicles:
Current: None.
Ex: '07 Fiat Palio, '07 Honda Accord Type-S
Illya
(26 items)
Yuki
(23 items)
CPU
Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 4000Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 8TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Cooling
EK Velocity CPU Block
Cooling
EK 1080 Ti FTW3 GPU Block
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTX420
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTS280
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTS140
Cooling
EK D5 140 Glass Pump/res
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 165Hz 1440p
Monitor
I-INC 1920x1200 TN 27"
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Midnight
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
CoolerMaster Swift-RX XL
Audio
Sennhesier HD650
Audio
Schiit Jotunheim Amp/DAC
Audio
Samson C01U Microphone
Audio
Edifier R1700BT
Other
Oculus Rift
CPU
Intel 2500K 5Ghz
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 Pro
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws X 2133Mhz 16GB
Hard Drive
120GB Corsair Neutron GTX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 8TB
Power Supply
EVGA G3 850W
Cooling
Hyper 212
Cooling
EK Vardar fans
Case
Corsair 270R w/TG mod
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
Monitor
I-Inc 1200p
Keyboard
Razer BlackWidow 2013
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Mousepad
CoolerMaster Swift-RX XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Schiit Jotunheim Balanced DAC + Amp
Audio
Edifier R1700BT Speakers
Audio
Samson C01U Microphone
Other
Oculus Rift
Other
PS4 Controller
▲ hide details ▲


Alex132 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off