[MacRumors] Apple Said to Release 31.6-Inch 6K Display With Mini LED-Like Backlight Design in 2019 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[MacRumors] Apple Said to Release 31.6-Inch 6K Display With Mini LED-Like Backlight Design in 2019

post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
[MacRumors] Apple Said to Release 31.6-Inch 6K Display With Mini LED-Like Backlight Design in 2019

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/17...-mini-led-kuo/
Quote:
Apple will release a 31.6-inch 6K display with a Mini LED-like backlight design in 2019, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who detailed his expectations for Apple's 2019 roadmap in a research note obtained by MacRumors.

Kuo describes the new monitor as a "6k3k" display.
This looks like like a beast of a monitor. It's probably got the mini LED panel like the ones AUO Optronics is about to start shipping with the 1000+ zones of local dimming. This would probably be the first 6K panel on the market. (8K panels do already exist)

I wonder if Apple is going to make this adaptive sync capable, considering all of their AMD GPUs in their systems....

Last edited by SuprPwrUsr; 04-20-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:34 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
It is strange that apple will release a 31.6 inch monitor. Not sure for what use. The LG 5K is already pretty decent and match the iMacs displays.
At 6K it will most likely require DP 1.4 and DSC, and I expect them to lock it to TB3.
Also if this will be TB3 locked, I'm not sure it will be a-sync.

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I remember a while back a leaked concept was attaching a full sized GPU onto the back of a high resolution monitor and allowing laptops connect to both the GPU and monitor with a single TB2/3 cable. That set up would both be modular and very apple like. I have no idea what this 6K monitor is going to be like but it's great that they're getting back into the monitor manufacturing business. the LG 5K were just a stop gap until they came out with something better and more innovative.

Most likely this monitor is going to coincide with the new "modular" mac pro that's rumored to be released this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
IMO- new Mac Pro will be based on:

*AMD ROME based 32C/64T, 48V/96T, 64C/128T CPU (Special variant for APPLE -something between EPYC and ThreadRipper).
*8Ch Memory
*Radeon VII 16GB/32GB GPU
*PCIe Gen4 support
*Blazing fast VNMe storage on PCIe Gen4.
*Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Card.

Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Cards already working on Threadrippers motherboards with simple driver mod.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 30)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hwgeek View Post
IMO- new Mac Pro will be based on:

Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Cards already working on Threadrippers motherboards with simple driver mod.
afaik they only work for storage. Even if they manage to get full support for egpu etc, I wouldn't expect Intel to certify it and loose cpu sales.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

I am sure Apple left no choice for Intel, There is nothing that intel could provide to apple to make Much more powerful Mac Pro vs current 18C Xeon iMac Pro, so or APPLE keeps waiting for Intel until 2020/2021 for new Platform for Mac Pro and loose tone of sales for ThreadRipper/Intel HEDT PC/Hakintosh(new TR3 this year also) PC or use custom spec AMD's new 7nm ROME CPU's with 64C/128T 8CH memory, PCIe Gen4 platform at much cheaper prices and longer platform support- ready to launch this year.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 AM
Performance is the bible

The question will be the deal between intel and apple. Considering intel developed TB3 for apple basically, I'm sure they locked a few things down that gives them priority or something from apple.
Also while TB became royalty free, it could still be required certain aspects to be certified in order to also transfer display as well as data. So there might be bumps on the road for apple to move to full AMD.

And apple don't need to wait for intel. Intel already have 22/44 chips. I do doubt a bit that they will release a 64/128 machine though, nor a rome based machine as it is meant for servers, not workstations.

You are pointing out your wish list, not something realistic for apple to release.

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:42 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Or, one can wait and grab the same panel in a different monitor off of eBay from a much cheaper Korean brand. Or wait for it to be sold in more popular/regular monitor brands locally with warranty without Apple tax. All in all it will cost a small fortune either way the way monitor market is right now.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

64C/128T if for the "Upgradability" for the long run, for first release 32C/48C will be more then enough. and TB3 - I am sure APPLE and Intel will come to some sort of agreement to pay Intel. this alone won't prevent APPLE to be stuck with Intel for eternity.
APPLE will slowly gonna start replacing low power Intel parts with their own CPU/GPU (MackBook Air soon?), while for other notebooks/iMacs/mac mini Intel will be used and Mac Pro workstation with be AMD based.

This is my opinion, I hope before the end of 2019 we will see :-).

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Or, one can wait and grab the same panel in a different monitor off of eBay from a much cheaper Korean brand. Or wait for it to be sold in more popular/regular monitor brands locally with warranty without Apple tax. All in all it will cost a small fortune either way the way monitor market is right now.
Do you like current 5K scaling on windows? I got 5K monitor and Windows and many programs gave me hard time for very long, there still few scaling problems too.
So I won't be thinking to run and buy 6K/8K soon.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:53 AM
Performance is the bible

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
While this could be, how many 5K panels do you see on eBay on cheap monitors? Not so many.
Those panels are expensive, and I expect a 31.6 inch 6K will be so as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in