[Fortune] Google Set To Unveil Netflix-Like Game Streaming Service - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Fortune] Google Set To Unveil Netflix-Like Game Streaming Service

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter
Performance is the bible

Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
[Fortune] Google Set To Unveil Netflix-Like Game Streaming Service

Source
Quote:
At next month’s Game Developer’s Conference the search engine giant will reveal details about its game streaming service.
The gaming unit is expected to be a Netflix-like streaming service, building on the success of Project Stream. Games are run on cloud servers and streamed directly to players’ PCs, tablets, TVs, or pretty much anything with a screen.
The search giant is expected to be the first of many non-traditional companies to enter the gaming space, which in In 2017 saw U.S. consumers spend $36 billion on video games
Also
Source
Quote:
In October last year, Google tested Project Stream, which plays games directly in Chrome web browser. This way, a small group of testers could play the game Assassin's Creed Odyssey for free .

I image lags and response issues in some games, especially FPS / RTS / battle royal types which could impact gameplay.

But if they can keep the lag into almost local response, it could impact game sales.
I mean, I don't know how much they will ask for it, but if its 20-30$ or something like that per month, and you get a huge library of games, it could be worth it. Of course depends if big developers join in. If not, I expect it to be much cheaper and full of micro transaction games in order to make some money off it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
I would expect them to start with less demanding and simpler games to avoid highlighting latency issues. Let the hardware catch up first.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:38 AM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 276 (Unique: 219)
GeForce Now has a bit of latency issues. But it's fine for none competitive gaming. I'm not sure how well it will work in a browser. But Google has the resources to make it happen. So it should be interesting.

In Loving Memory Of Kassandra

Kaby
Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:00 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 305 (Unique: 244)
I did the Assassins creed play test, it works pretty well. The lag is definitely there, maybe an extra 10ms or so, just like using shadow or geforce now. Not great for FPS's, but perfectly fine for an rpg or hearthstone or something like that.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 400 (Unique: 206)
Absolutely against game streaming. The least they could do is offer an optional download and have your hardware run it (like Xbox GamePass or EA Access does).

I can notice the difference between 95 and 100fps and I can tell the difference between delay a lot. Especially in FPS games I can instantly tell (online) when I have 20ms compared to 50ms.

If the future is game streaming then we are all screwed because games are going to be designed around it and are going to be slower paced.

I don't even mind subscription based gaming. It's probably what is going to be big next, but when idiots confuse why Netflix is doing well with what could work in the gaming space then we are in for a big decline in video gaming quality and looking at the most recent huge failures that are Fallout 76, Anthem, Crackdown 3 and many more then there is not much lower we can go.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 101 (Unique: 96)
I really thought Amazon would jump on this, maybe they are. AWS is pretty good at latency SLAs

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 37)
Their first step was to make GPU so expensive people would stop upgrading, next step is to offer a solution "on the cheap" as a service, brilliant.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:00 PM
mfw

Rep: 398 (Unique: 206)
Quote: Originally Posted by zealord View Post
I can notice the difference between 95 and 100fps
Unless you're talking very specifically about a 100Hz V-synced monitor and framerate dips to 95, I highly doubt that.

In any case, Google isn't unveiling a store front; they're launching a game streaming service. Your suggestion of downloading games to run them on your hardware makes absolutely no sense.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:51 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 340 (Unique: 241)
For casuals why not, but then you can play those from your phone already. For PC gamers streaming is very subpar unless one lives nextdoor to the server. There have been many companies trying this in the last 2 decades and they all failed so far. Unless one is on Google fiber in same town as their servers... the lag is quite noticeable and neither do these services provide high FPS, it's all limited to 60 etc. to save and share resources between customers, as in 1 GPU can run multiple users at the same time in a server. Sharing across locations on globe doesn't work either as centers need to be very local so in night time they can't really be shared by users from other side of globe, but sure they can be repurposed for other use at that time.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:24 AM
More Power

Rep: 43 (Unique: 40)
Have they looked into how much bandwidth this may end up consuming? I know netflix and streaming moves is one thing with compression and all that. I have the xbox game pass and origin and I don't mind a monthly fee for a good library of games. This is intriguing whether or not it takes off, time will tell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in