[Thurrott]Microsoft’s Evolving Gaming Strategy Takes A Giant Step Forward - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Thurrott]Microsoft’s Evolving Gaming Strategy Takes A Giant Step Forward

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Rep: 132 (Unique: 88)
[Thurrott]Microsoft’s Evolving Gaming Strategy Takes A Giant Step Forward

Quote:
Earlier this year, Microsoft made a peculiar announcement on the Windows Insider blog related to gaming. With build 18334, Microsoft said they were bringing new technology to Windows 10 and were offering up State of Decay for free to try but that’s all the information that they provided.

When you download State of Decay, the oddities begin immediately. Instead of downloading from the Microsoft Store server, serverdl.microsoft.com, where all content comes from including PlayAnywhere titles, the game downloads from assets1.xboxlive.com.

What it looks like Microsoft is doing, instead of porting each Xbox feature back to the PC one by one, they are simply dumping the entire Xbox one installation/servicing plumbing and making it the primary installation for Windows.
On the surface, what it looks like Microsoft is doing is collapsing any differences between PC and Xbox gaming to make it the same experience on both devices. The company is in the process of making the delivery mechanisms based on the Xbox infrastructure, appears to be making it possible to run Xbox games on the PC, and replacing the existing Store PC games infrastructure on that of what Xbox has built.
https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/200140...t-step-forward

Some interesting stuff if this turns out to be true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/200140...t-step-forward

Some interesting stuff if this turns out to be true.
Does this mean we could play Halo MCC on the PC?

i7 930 @ 3.8Ghz HT
Asrock X58 Extreme 3
Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti BE SC
Corsair RMS 750W
LG C6 4K 3D OLED 55", Potalion 1440p Korean IPS "glossy panel", Dell Ultrasharp U2515H
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Rep: 132 (Unique: 88)
Quote: Originally Posted by junglechocolate View Post
Very possible in a future version of win10.
This will be very different then current ported games. It will run through powershell from my understanding.
Quote:
When you extract the installer from the Store after downloading, you will discover that it is using the .xvc file format. While that may not sound familiar, Microsoft introduced this format around 2013 specifically for Xbox One games. Further, you can now install this file format using PowerShell in 19H1; I never thought I would write the words “PowerShell can now install Xbox One games” but here we are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 106 (Unique: 86)
Quote: Originally Posted by junglechocolate View Post
That's the $500 dollar question right there

But can it run.... Angry Birds???

About the NVidia GTX 970
"When comes down to it, it's really a $250 card with lies printed all over the box."--Rexer
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
State of Decay has already existed on the PC for a long time, so I wonder if there are going to be any differences between the older State of the Decay and the one that's going to share "plumbing" with the Xbox version.

To be honest, it feels like we've gone down an altered time-line. It's hard to believe this is the same Microsoft that pushed the Kinect, and then pushed their "revolutionary" cloud technology after that failed. They are making better decisions now; focusing on the hardware, the games, and finally giving PC the love it has always deserved. I'm very happy to see it and I think this will lead to exciting times ahead. Even the Xbox One X has been surprisingly powerful for a console. Games look much better than the PS4 Pro and the system stays relatively quiet under load unlike the PS4 Pro which sounds like a leaf blower at times.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:46 PM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1091 (Unique: 517)
MS has definitely been killing it with their decision-making lately IMO. There are risks of course with merging XB and Windows platforms but I think taking those risks will reap them the benefit of good will amongst consumers and gamers. Perhaps MS is simply sick and tired of being the gamers' whipping boy as everything wrong with PC gaming and just want to remake their image?

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:56 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
You know that thing GabeN was worried about that made him decide to do SteamOS?

It's finally happening.

I am probably one of very few people that can say that I already signed up for Game Pass just for the PC games. If you don't know, Game Pass is already big on Xbox1 but just getting started on PC. There are only a few games worth playing for PC with it right now, I only signed up for it because it's only $2 for the first month, I'll probably cancel after that but it's clear just from looking at what they're doing with Game Pass that the intent is to merge as much as they can and get everyone on a monthly subscription service, which I am 100% in favor of. As soon as they get a Halo game on PC with Game Pass, it will blow up.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 12:42 AM
mfw

Rep: 360 (Unique: 189)
Quote: Originally Posted by diggiddi View Post
That's the $500 dollar question right there
That would be fantastic.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quickfire TK
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Cooler Master MP510
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 433 (Unique: 289)
Quote: Originally Posted by t1337dude View Post
State of Decay has already existed on the PC for a long time, so I wonder if there are going to be any differences between the older State of the Decay and the one that's going to share "plumbing" with the Xbox version.

To be honest, it feels like we've gone down an altered time-line. It's hard to believe this is the same Microsoft that pushed the Kinect, and then pushed their "revolutionary" cloud technology after that failed. They are making better decisions now; focusing on the hardware, the games, and finally giving PC the love it has always deserved. I'm very happy to see it and I think this will lead to exciting times ahead. Even the Xbox One X has been surprisingly powerful for a console. Games look much better than the PS4 Pro and the system stays relatively quiet under load unlike the PS4 Pro which sounds like a leaf blower at times.
M$ has always used games to keep people on winblows, I.E. forced OS upgrades for directx.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
M$ has always used games to keep people on winblows, I.E. forced OS upgrades for directx.
Yep. I remember Halo 2 Vista artificially requiring Windows Vista.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in