[CNBC] Nvidia nears deal to acquire Mellanox Technologies for more than $7 billion, source says - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[CNBC] Nvidia nears deal to acquire Mellanox Technologies for more than $7 billion, source says

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:46 AM
New to Posting

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
Wonder if this was a move to grab them up before intel did.
thats kind of what it seems like to me. im also curious if this is a move to help deliver their streaming game service

CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard
MSI AM4 B450I Gaming Plus AC
GPU
MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB
RAM
Patriot Viper 4 2x8gb 3000mhz
Hard Drive
500gb Mushkin Source M.2
Hard Drive
1tb Mushkin Source SSD
Power Supply
Corsair CX 650
Power Supply
2016 International Prostar 2200w Inverter
Cooling
Coolermaster LC120E AIO
Case
Silverstone Sugo13
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Insignia 43" 4K HDR
Monitor
Samsung Odyssey+
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 190 (Unique: 127)
Quote: Originally Posted by nonametoclaim View Post
thats kind of what it seems like to me. im also curious if this is a move to help deliver their streaming game service
No, this is for in data center technology, not home users. This is a move diversifying away from gamers.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:24 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 305 (Unique: 244)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No, this is for in data center technology, not home users. This is a move diversifying away from gamers.
Agreed, it would seem like they want to get into the fabric business.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 371 (Unique: 184)
Quote: Originally Posted by ozlay View Post
It would be cool if they added Ethernet to their gpu's. Like a console port to monitor GPU usage and such.
It's not that kind of Ethernet.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 22)
Bye bye leader in networking, hello super expensive interconnects that don't work properly. Thanks, nvidia.... Mellanox will be sorely missed!

CPU
i7 990x @ 4.69GHz
Motherboard
Asus Rampage III Extreme
GPU
EVGA GTX780 FTW ACX 2.0 3GB
RAM
12 GB Samsung DDR3L @ 2100Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Raid0 On LSI 9207
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 512gb
Hard Drive
PSN across 10Gb Fiber
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVDRW
Power Supply
Corsair 850HX
Cooling
DTek Fuzion V2 CPU Block w/ Quad Insert
Cooling
Laing D5 pump {2MT}
Cooling
2 x Black Ice Pro 240 Radiators {2MT}
Cooling
EK Full Cover RIIIE Nickel/Acetal Block
Case
Lian Li PC-A10B
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Enterprise X64
Monitor
Monoprice 27in WQHD IPS
Keyboard
Das Keyboard Model S
Audio
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum
Other
LSI 9207-8i SAS6G Raid Controller
Other
Intel XF SR 10Gb Fiber Adapter
CPU
Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard
MSI PC Mate Z97
GPU
EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 4GB
RAM
8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2133
Hard Drive
256 GB Plextor M6 SSD
Hard Drive
WD Black 640GB Raid0
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVDRW
Power Supply
Seasonic S12II 620W
Cooling
Corsair H50
Case
Old Antec
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
Changhong 42in 1080p TV
Keyboard
HP Wireless Keyboard & Thumb tracker
Mouse
HP Wireless Keyboard & Thumb tracker
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality
CPU
Intel Xeon x5687 @ 3.6GHZ
CPU
Intel Xeon x5687 @ 3.6GHZ
Motherboard
Supermicro X8DT6-F
GPU
EVGA GT630 2GB
GPU
EVGA GT630 1GB
RAM
24GB Hynix DDR3 1333 2R-X4 ECC
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
Seasonic S12II 620W
Cooling
Intel LGA1366 HDX Cooler for Extreme Edition CPU
Cooling
Intel LGA1366 HDX Cooler for Extreme Edition CPU
Case
CM Stacker
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro x64
Monitor
Qnix QX2410R DP
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Performance is the bible

Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
They already use Infiniband adapters from Mellanox for their deep learning clusters and such. Nothing new is really happening here right now. Intel was going to buy them and kill off Infiniband entirely since it competes with their Omni-Path, which would mean Nvidia would have to switch from Infiniband to Omni and reach deals with Intel. Intel and Nvidia dont get along so that was bad news for Nvidia. So Nvidia bought the company instead. This is a better outcome for us than Intel buying them, since this way Infiniband will still exist at least. Most likely we will see Nvidia make it proprietary though. Either outcome of this sale is still bad news for AMD.
And now the only thing up in the air is whether Nvidia maintains the Ethernet division of Mellanox or not. Right now the Infiniband and Ethernet chips are the same and can run both technologies. So it is likely Nvidia wont kill off the Ethernet side, but if they make the Infiniband stuff proprietary for them then the Ethernet chips effectively dies anyway...
Nvidia and IBM have been having a very close relationship lately, and considering IBM have also been using infiniband for their z systems and many of their new products lately, I'm not sure nvidia will really make it proprietary, but it will definitely be profitable to continue keeping mellanox alive.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:53 PM
Tokyo the defiler

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by paulerxx View Post
"Mellanox Technologies provides InfiniBand and Ethernet network adapters and switches for servers and storage used in enterprise data centers and also makes its own integrated circuits to support the Ethernet and InfiniBand protocol. Mellanox offers interconnect products: adapters, switches, cables, software and silicon for a range of markets including high-performance computing, enterprise data centers, Web 2.0, cloud, storage and financial services."

Hmm. I wonder what they'll do with this tech.
I dont understand why we dont use ethernet based connections for nearly everything... we can pass all media through it, video, audio, data, with insane amounts of bandwidth... they even make more workable copper, instead of errant and angry network variants.

Heck... I just threw 4k video over cat6a a month ago from my media center to my projector, ethernet technology has made my home so convenient.

Babies are just something you have to not make die...

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 338 (Unique: 248)
Quote: Originally Posted by emeianoite View Post
I dont understand why we dont use ethernet based connections for nearly everything... we can pass all media through it, video, audio, data, with insane amounts of bandwidth... they even make more workable copper, instead of errant and angry network variants.

Heck... I just threw 4k video over cat6a a month ago from my media center to my projector, ethernet technology has made my home so convenient.
Ethernet simply cant do what these supercomputers need. ENet is good for general networking, but requires multiple layers and overhead. Infiniband allows direct transfers between memory of each node and has significantly reduced overhead, as well as significantly more advanced offload capabilities to save CPU cycles. Bandwidth of a 4k video? Not even remotely close to what this tech is for or has the bandwidth capability of. This is about having connections at speed of 200+gb/s on each node. Think of it more like Infinity Fabric from AMD, how it is used to connect core dies together in a coherent manner. This is similar, only allows you to connect them between chassis and even hundreds of feet apart, and still get 25 gigabytes per second between connections and higher speeds in the future. Even high end home 10gb networking is only capable of 1.25GB/s, and thats before overhead which at that 10gb speed drops you by around 120 mebaytes per second. A 4k video on the other hand can be streamed on 100mbit "fast ethernet" from 1995.

Last edited by EniGma1987; 03-12-2019 at 06:59 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Null

Rep: 159 (Unique: 129)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
Ethernet simply cant do what these supercomputers need. ENet is good for general networking, but requires multiple layers and overhead. Infiniband allows direct transfers between memory of each node and has significantly reduced overhead. Bandwidth of a 4k video? Not even remotely close to what this tech is for or has the bandwidth capability of. This is about having connections at speed of 200+gb/s on each node. Think of it more like Infinity Fabric from AMD, how it is used to connect core dies together in a coherent manner. This is similar, only allows you to connect them between chassis.
You mean like Freedom Fabric? This reminds me of AMD's move to buy Seamicro, hopefully Nvidia doesn't kill Mellanox as quickly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in