[Videocardz] ASUS and ASRock AMD X570 Chipset Motherboards Listed , also Gigabyte + MSI - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Videocardz] ASUS and ASRock AMD X570 Chipset Motherboards Listed , also Gigabyte + MSI

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 543 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:13 PM
Null
 
geoxile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,318
Rep: 159 (Unique: 129)
I don't get the obsession with VRMs the AMD fans in particular has. AFAIK even the high end models like the 2700x only consume a little more than stock, which only consumes like 100-120W at 1.4-1.5V, so why do you need VRMs that can handle like 400A without breaking a sweat?

geoxile is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 543 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:40 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
white owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The land of Nod
Posts: 5,374
Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by geoxile View Post
I don't get the obsession with VRMs the AMD fans in particular has. AFAIK even the high end models like the 2700x only consume a little more than stock, which only consumes like 100-120W at 1.4-1.5V, so why do you need VRMs that can handle like 400A without breaking a sweat?
The amount of power and how smooth the delivery is are totally different things, having a heatsink that actually cools the VRM is also important. There were also a lot of really pitiful offerings for every chipset, if you look down the line and compare similarly priced Intel boards you'll probably find most of the Intel boards more appealing overall. There's also future compatibility, many users will be wanting to upgrade to an 8c/16t part and may actually have some OC headroom.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
white owl is offline  
post #13 of 543 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:49 PM
Null
 
geoxile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,318
Rep: 159 (Unique: 129)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
The amount of power and how smooth the delivery is are totally different things, having a heatsink that actually cools the VRM is also important. There were also a lot of really pitiful offerings for every chipset, if you look down the line and compare similarly priced Intel boards you'll probably find most of the Intel boards more appealing overall. There's also future compatibility, many users will be wanting to upgrade to an 8c/16t part and may actually have some OC headroom.
I'm curious as to what you think will happen if the power delivery isn't "smooth". Bullzoid, who everyone cites, is doing ln2 or chilled watercooling, not overclocking on a D15 or AIO. As companies move down process nodes it's unlikely there will be much change, especially upwards, in power consumption. And AMD's entire boost and XFR scheme is centered around pushing the processor close to its limits already.

geoxile is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 543 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:32 AM
curmudgeon
 
miklkit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,814
Rep: 306 (Unique: 177)
Dunno about other AMD users but I see the motherboard manufacturers as trying to milk us with products that range from actively dangerous to barely adequate while charging outrageous prices. It seems others have similar attitudes hence the constant push to get them to improve their products.
Their FX boards were especially bad.

IOKIYAR
Junkyard Dog
(18 items)
Blackie
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard
Biostar X370 GT7
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital 500gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic 850 watt
Cooling
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
Case
Silverstone Redline RL05
Operating System
Win 10 64bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent vertical mouse
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative X-FI
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599
CPU
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth
GPU
Sapphire Fury
RAM
G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3
Cooling
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
Case
Silverstone Redline RL02b
Operating System
Win X 64 bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent VM4
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones
▲ hide details ▲
miklkit is offline  
post #15 of 543 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:21 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
TonyLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 246
Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
I wish that I had bought a better board, but I bought before seeing reviews. I have had some good Gigabyte boards in the past like the p45 Ud3r, but currently have a x470 Gaming 5 which I now think is terrible value for the money. Why couldn't this board have a big 5 phase like the MSI Pro carbon instead with the price tag of this thing? The only Gigabyte board worth getting this time around is the Gaming 7.
TonyLee is offline  
post #16 of 543 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:35 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Ha-Nocri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,235
Rep: 110 (Unique: 71)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aussiejuggalo View Post
Looks like the motherboard guys are finally taking AMD seriously. I just hope this time round we actually get good mATX boards with proper power delivery, heatsinks & features because the current selection is an utter joke.
Yeah, current mATX boards are indeed a joke. I really want to build a mATX Zen 2 system with good on-board sound and power delivery.

AMD
(11 items)
CPU
Ryzen r5 3600
Motherboard
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
GPU
Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC (2070/940 MHz)
RAM
G-Skill TridentZ 16GB 3600MHz b-die (3800MHz CL16 1.375V)
Hard Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
Monitor
ASUS MG279Q (1440p) + ASUS 22''
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Kingston HyperX Cloud II
▲ hide details ▲
Ha-Nocri is offline  
post #17 of 543 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:44 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
white owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The land of Nod
Posts: 5,374
Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by geoxile View Post
I'm curious as to what you think will happen if the power delivery isn't "smooth". Bullzoid, who everyone cites, is doing ln2 or chilled watercooling, not overclocking on a D15 or AIO. As companies move down process nodes it's unlikely there will be much change, especially upwards, in power consumption. And AMD's entire boost and XFR scheme is centered around pushing the processor close to its limits already.
Same as always, you'll need more voltage to sustain a given clock. Remember the Asus z370 Prime thing? Mid range board with 8 phases, many that switched to better mid range boards gained 100-200mhz on the same voltage. Not sure why you think power delivery is so trivial.

I think you're missing the point around the whole thing anyway. No one is complaining becasue a 300a 12 phase system isn't the standard, it's becasue the VRM on a great deal of AMD boards are terrible for one of the reasons I mentioned before. Just look at them and you'll see. Anything with a good VRM costs way more than it would if you were using an Intel chip.

I never cited Buildzoid but the VRM issue applies to ambient cooling as well. Just look around, we have members wishing they'd sprung for a 5 phase board. Even my mid range z97 Sabertooth MKII has an 8 phase VRM for a board that supports no more than 4 cores. Why should an 8 core chip with no IVR get worse power delivery.
$150 for a board with 5-6 phase is a joke. So is $200 for 8 phase. There are different methods of making 8 or 6 phase much better/smoother than a traditional layout but those aren't being used here.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 03-31-2019 at 04:04 PM.
white owl is offline  
post #18 of 543 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:01 AM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10,083
Rep: 340 (Unique: 241)
mATX this mATX that, just get ATX and solve all your troubles. Losing a couple slots doesn't make the case magically half the size or portable.

The useful features on motherboards have been steadily declining and being replaced by RGB cancer. While top priced products are now what mid tier used to be.

5 phase what? 8 phase? Come on, even my mid tier cheapo Intel board for Z97 has 12 phases, sure 6*2 doubled but what ever for a 4 core it pushes anything one throws at it. Sadly one of the last boards to have good VRM, good audio, good LAN, extra USB3, extra SATA ports, dual UEFI chips with switch while not costing a fortune.

Modern boards be it for Intel or AMD, no difference, are cost cut, replacing useful $5 features with $0.5 worth of LEDs.

Sadly there is no clear cut winner to buy, what board has good features, price and quality changes with each launch. Sometimes it's brand A sometimes it's brand B, C, D, ...
ASRock has grown and they too started to cut down features replacing them with RGB.

Reviews for motherboards are important nowadays more than before. CPUs getting power hungry and boards weak.
JackCY is offline  
post #19 of 543 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Overclocking Enthusiast
 
ozlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,636
Rep: 276 (Unique: 219)
I want more m.2 so if AM4 doesn't have 3 or 4. I'll go threadripper.

In Loving Memory Of Kassandra

Kaby
Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲


ozlay is offline  
post #20 of 543 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:22 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Jedi Mind Trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,495
Rep: 84 (Unique: 68)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
mATX this mATX that, just get ATX and solve all your troubles. Losing a couple slots doesn't make the case magically half the size or portable.

The useful features on motherboards have been steadily declining and being replaced by RGB cancer. While top priced products are now what mid tier used to be.

5 phase what? 8 phase? Come on, even my mid tier cheapo Intel board for Z97 has 12 phases, sure 6*2 doubled but what ever for a 4 core it pushes anything one throws at it. Sadly one of the last boards to have good VRM, good audio, good LAN, extra USB3, extra SATA ports, dual UEFI chips with switch while not costing a fortune.

Modern boards be it for Intel or AMD, no difference, are cost cut, replacing useful $5 features with $0.5 worth of LEDs.

Sadly there is no clear cut winner to buy, what board has good features, price and quality changes with each launch. Sometimes it's brand A sometimes it's brand B, C, D, ...
ASRock has grown and they too started to cut down features replacing them with RGB.

Reviews for motherboards are important nowadays more than before. CPUs getting power hungry and boards weak.
Only reason I want a high-end mATX board is for my mATX Evolv (that I purchased for an Asus Gene board). Love that case, but it is neither portable nor half the size (that thing heavy as heck and taller than some atx-mid towers).

But I agree 100% with the rest of you post (especially the 'reviews' bit).
Jedi Mind Trick is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off