[Tom's Hardware] Intel Client Desktop CPU Roadmap Leaked, Comet Lake and Glacier Falls Coming This Year - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Tom's Hardware] Intel Client Desktop CPU Roadmap Leaked, Comet Lake and Glacier Falls Coming This Year

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:33 PM
Owner of 20 SSDs

Rep: 186 (Unique: 137)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Intel has the most advanced multi-core topology. I say they are just showing off their engineering skills with a 28 core monolithic chip based on an 8 year old architecture. Intel's next generation architecture Ocean Cove is scheduled for 2021 and I'm sure Jim Keller is helping. Inte's Cascade Lake 56 core MCM processor has two 28 core dies with an interconnect.

AMD's Rome has 16 x 4 core CCX connected with their infinity fabric. We'll soon see how well it competes with Intel's Cascade Lake 56 part. Hopefully they worked with Microsoft to fix their scheduler issue or else it's going to be a problem.

AVX-512 is a large selling point for these HEDT and Xeons for developers who create their own apps.
I'm not sure why u have such a vested interest in intel at this point.

The 56core cascade lake uses QPI links intended to link sockets and wasn't really meant for inter-die communications. its basically 10 GB/s bidirectional, which pales compared to AMD's Infinity Fabric, which already operates at 50 GB/s between two dies, and this will increase to 100 GB/s for upcoming Zen 2 Infinity Fabric.

One method is shoehorned into it to create the two die processor, the other is designed for it from the ground up.

Need i not mention, the 56c cascade lake wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for amd Ryzen competition. we would still be stuck on $1700 pricing for a 10c intel part, and $350 for 4 cores with hyperthreading.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ZZFtt6
Threadripper 1950X
MSI X399 Pro Carbon
32gb ram, 4x8gb 2133
Titan X Pascal
10 freaking SSDs.
Corsair AX1200i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Seems getting the 2017 Skylake-X (7900x series) was actually a decent choice - cause for the foreseeable future, there wont be any upgrade alternative from Intel.
Taking AMD into account however, thats another story. For the money of this 7940x i could have had 24 core Threadripper last year. Not regretting too much though.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Skylake X refresh was built on 14+ which is literally the exact same as Skylake X. Cascade Lake should be on 14++ so the same process as 9900K. Hopefully we will be getting 5.0Ghz 12 and 14 core CPUs on custom water. Yes, it's a refresh of a refresh but it's more than what Skylake X Refresh was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by SuprPwrUsr View Post
Skylake X refresh was built on 14+ which is literally the exact same as Skylake X. Cascade Lake should be on 14++ so the same process as 9900K. Hopefully we will be getting 5.0Ghz 12 and 14 core CPUs on custom water. Yes, it's a refresh of a refresh but it's more than what Skylake X Refresh was.
Honestly, for someone who already owns 7900x series or 9900x series CPU, thats not enough of a reason for upgrade. Unless the person owns one of the lower core count CPUs (8C,10C) and wants to get more, but for anyone with 12C-18C already from previous 2 years, i dont see how that is a interesting proposition. Assuming the pricing stays the same and the person is not some HW enthusiast to the extreme with money to burn, willing to waste another grand for the possibility of couple hundred MHz higher OC. Arguably, OC.net is exactly the place to find such people, but even here i would say they are minority.

Anyway, i will happily wait for 2022 for my next upgrade and then decide between Intel and AMD.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 171 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by Timmaigh! View Post
Honestly, for someone who already owns 7900x series or 9900x series CPU, thats not enough of a reason for upgrade. Unless the person owns one of the lower core count CPUs (8C,10C) and wants to get more, but for anyone with 12C-18C already from previous 2 years, i dont see how that is a interesting proposition. Assuming the pricing stays the same and the person is not some HW enthusiast to the extreme with money to burn, willing to waste another grand for the possibility of couple hundred MHz higher OC. Arguably, OC.net is exactly the place to find such people, but even here i would say they are minority.

Anyway, i will happily wait for 2022 for my next upgrade and then decide between Intel and AMD.
This. I'm running a 10 core 7900X and this is a let down. As much as we complain about intel always putting out new platforms, I can't help but think the only reason to upgrade would be an updated platform with PCIE 4.0. (Miss spoke earlier in this thread as Skylake X already has optane support).

With mainstream CPU's having increased core counts, larger dimms of memory and PCIE 4.0 likely coming to the Z series platform before the X series, I just don't see much value in a new X series chip using pcie 3.0

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 178 (Unique: 123)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
This. I'm running a 10 core 7900X and this is a let down. As much as we complain about intel always putting out new platforms, I can't help but think the only reason to upgrade would be an updated platform with PCIE 4.0. (Miss spoke earlier in this thread as Skylake X already has optane support).

With mainstream CPU's having increased core counts, larger dimms of memory and PCIE 4.0 likely coming to the Z series platform before the X series, I just don't see much value in a new X series chip using pcie 3.0
SkyLake X doesn't have Optane DC Persistent Memory support which Cascade Lake introduced. Kaby Lake with a z270 chipset was the first to introduce Optane memory. I'll be shocked if they actually release another processor on the x299 chipset but their cycle might be 2 microarchitectures per chipset not generations?

Quote: Originally Posted by ChronoBodi View Post
I'm not sure why u have such a vested interest in intel at this point.

The 56core cascade lake uses QPI links intended to link sockets and wasn't really meant for inter-die communications. its basically 10 GB/s bidirectional, which pales compared to AMD's Infinity Fabric, which already operates at 50 GB/s between two dies, and this will increase to 100 GB/s for upcoming Zen 2 Infinity Fabric.

One method is shoehorned into it to create the two die processor, the other is designed for it from the ground up.

Need i not mention, the 56c cascade lake wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for amd Ryzen competition. we would still be stuck on $1700 pricing for a 10c intel part, and $350 for 4 cores with hyperthreading.
I never said it wasn't due to AMD's competition that allows us to see Intel flex their engineering skills. Even though they are using their UPI to link the two dies the latency between them is still quicker than Epyc/ThreadRippers infinity fabric when jumping over to the next die(Not CCX, Infinity Fabric's CCX jumps are slower than Intel's Mesh)

The Core architecture is on 9 generations and it's still able to compete with AMD's new architecture. Their next generation is out in 2021 and we'll get to see if they make another massive leap in technology just like they did with the Ring bus.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1218mV
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 05-03-2019 at 09:57 AM.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 171 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
SkyLake X doesn't have Optane DC Persistent Memory support which Cascade Lake introduced. Kaby Lake with a z270 chipset was the first to introduce Optane memory. I'll be shocked if they actually release another processor on the x299 chipset but their cycle might be 2 microarchitectures per chipset not generations?
This is the first time they have broke their tic-toc cadence on the X series platform.

For optane, that makes sense, I just remember seeing the updates for my motherboard with optane on it, but since I don't have any optane, I just glazed over it.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:29 AM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 219 (Unique: 136)
I thought 10nm was going to be next year, 2021 seems like a long ways away.

Gaming Rig
(12 items)
Couch Gaming Rig
(10 items)
Work rig
(11 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
HP EX920 m.2
Hard Drive
Intel SSD6 m.2
Hard Drive
Intel SSD6 m.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Win 10 Home
Monitor
LG 32GK650G
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
Asus x470i
GPU
Radeon VII
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 evo
Power Supply
InWin A1
Cooling
NZXT M22
Case
InWin A1
Operating System
Win10 Home
Monitor
Vizio 4k TV
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
GTX 750
RAM
Patriot Viper
Hard Drive
HP EX920 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
NZXT Source 210
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ PD3200Q
Monitor
LG 32UD59
▲ hide details ▲

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Hardware Enthusiast

Rep: 70 (Unique: 45)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
I thought 10nm was going to be next year, 2021 seems like a long ways away.
10nm was supposed to be "next year" for the past 4 years or so now. But it seems even that has slipped. So rather than being "next year", it's now "next year + 1".

By examining the data for the past 4 years, we can deduce that 10nm gets delayed at the rate of approximately 15 months per year. Extrapolating to 2021, Intel's 10nm will be on the roadmap for 2023 or 2024. When 2024 rolls around, Intel's 10nm will be slated for 2027.

The takeaway here is that 10nm is moving away faster than we can approach it. It is beyond the comoving distance of the expansion of the universe and is therefore beyond the causal event horizon. Therefore it will never arrive.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:38 AM
RTX ON FPS OFF

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
Just picked up a 7980xe x299 dark combo for $1250 able to hit 5.0-5.2ghz. I think this article confirms that I made the right choice LOL.

TBH I think intel needs to start releasing big-little HEDT proc's with 4-8 5-5.5ghz cores for linear tasks and 10-20 'lite' cores 3.5-4.5ghz for big compute tasks. Though I think that's where they are headed with their chiplet designs? with memory chips onboard?

KRAKEN
(13 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2
Cooling
EK Velocity Nickel-Plexi, EK Vector RTX Nickel-Plexi, EK EX360, Koolance 360mm, Enermax Neochanger
Case
Thermaltake A500
Operating System
W10 Premium
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair LUX
Mouse
Logitech G502 Spectrum
Audio
Audiotechnica ATH-900X, SBX G5, MODMIC
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in