[Wccftech]Intel Comet Lake-S 10 Core CPUs Allegedly Require New Socket - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Wccftech]Intel Comet Lake-S 10 Core CPUs Allegedly Require New Socket

post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 108 (Unique: 63)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
Say what? I guarantee that more people invest in expensive motherboards for Intel than AMD, even if they had to buy a new one every release. Some even buy multiple expensive boards in the same generation, just trying to find a few hundred more mhz. I replace them every time and still buy the expensive boards (not the crazy expensive ones but..), and that's without reselling anything. To me it's more fun to build a new computer with each upgrade (but I don't always upgrade every year) and move the machine I'm replacing to work. I don't think I am alone in this, might not even be in the minority.

I think people vastly underestimate how much people actually spend on their hobbies, especially inexpensive ones like PC's.
You are using samples from OCN to determine the entire world population. I hope you realised ppl in OCN are the minority in the world, in fact not even everyone in that small population of OCN even agree with you, as you can see quite a few posts after yours saying they wont go all out on a motherboard now.

Sorry man, none of my relatives and friends even buy expensive motherboard, and they all said its a waste since you need to change every generation, exactly the same response like some OCN member.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:34 PM
Zen

Rep: 50 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by guttheslayer View Post
You are using samples from OCN to determine the entire world population. I hope you realised ppl in OCN are the minority in the world, in fact not even everyone in that small population of OCN even agree with you, as you can see quite a few posts after yours saying they wont go all out on a motherboard now.

Sorry man, none of my relatives and friends even buy expensive motherboard, and they all said its a waste since you need to change every generation, exactly the same response like some OCN member.
Overwhelming majority of people don't even upgrade their system every 2-3 years, so no, it is not as big of a deal as people make out to be. Yeah, it is good to have ability to upgrade CPUs for few more generations(albeit with some limitations), but it is not a dealbreaker and it never was.

My home PC
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S TR4
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2711
Monitor
Samsung 55" 4k
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Denon AVR-X3300W
▲ hide details ▲
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:13 PM
Boo Hiss metadtaclock.net

Rep: 237 (Unique: 190)
The issue is no one will ever invest a good motherboard for Intel.

People want a simple upgrade, not an overhaul of the entire system every 1-2 years. Mind you.

Forget about ditching all the money to the drain in ur previous MB purchase, you still have to un-pluck and unscrew everything unlike popping a new CPU into the socket.

False. I'm always stymied by cheap mobos. Instead I'll invest heavily, and then ride the chip out for a long time. Mostly because I blow the dust out of my computer about once every intel-releases-a-new-socket. I don't enjoy modifying my computer like I used too...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:29 AM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 208 (Unique: 132)

Well if that's what they said then you shouldn't rely on them for computer information, they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. You don't have to change every generation, typically it's every 2 generations. Your friends are either ignorant about Intel motherboards or just liars (or maybe you just made all that up and....).

Either way, you are misunderstanding what I wrote about expensive motherboards. I never said that most people, or even a lot of people, buy expensive motherboards. I said more people buy expensive Intel motherboards than AMD motherboards. People who buy expensive motherboards typically don't care if they have to buy a new one with every new processor because they would have bought a new one anyways. The exception to this is the person who builds big in a sensible manner (new rig every 4-5 years), but they aren't worried about it either since they are going to skip 3 or more generations of processors anyways.

IMO, socket longevity has very little impact on the sales of expensive Intel motherboards.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 24)
I may have lost a couple frames compared to going intel but I am super happy with having gone ryzen first gen for my platform upgrade. Three years later I can have the option of doubling my core count (likely) with a chip two generations and a die shrink later on my same mobo. Never purchased an Intel CPU and if they keep this up I never will.

stop spawn-killing and SAY NO TO ABORTION!!!

GPU/CPU History (Click to show)2010...Phenom II x6 1055T.... GTX 460....
2012...Phenom II x6 1055T.....GTX 460 x2
2013...Phenom II x6 1055T.....6950 x2......
2013...Phenom II x6 1055T.....7950...........
2014...Phenom II x6 1055T.....R9 290x......
2015...FX-8350.......................R9 290x......
2016...FX-8350.......................RX 480 8gb
2017...R5 1600x.....................GTX 1080...
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:22 AM
I <3 narcissists

Quote: Originally Posted by andydabeast View Post
I may have lost a couple frames compared to going intel but I am super happy with having gone ryzen first gen for my platform upgrade. Three years later I can have the option of doubling my core count (likely) with a chip two generations and a die shrink later on my same mobo. Never purchased an Intel CPU and if they keep this up I never will.
Very true. You could also add another $150 to the mix and take advantage of more of the new processors features with an x570 motherboard. Or add even more money and get higher speed ram along with 2 or 3 NVME drives to feed those cores. Or stick with x370, save a few bucks and have a slightly hamstrung processor. Options are nice.

Intel has never been the platform to choose for saving a few bucks and I doubt they ever will be. I'm sure they will keep up with their 2 generation mobo compatibility (been doing it for quite a while) so you will probably never own an Intel processor. At least now there are more reasons than "saving a few bucks" to get on board with AMD, and hopefully x570 won't be limited to money saving motherboard options like with x370 & x470.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Z-80 > i9

Rep: 568 (Unique: 398)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
What do you guys do with your old processors if you don't buy a new motherboard/memory with your new processor?
Sell or store. Either I basically pay a lot less for the new CPU, or I have a chip that works for BIOS updating new boards to run with even newer CPUs, troubleshooting or even as a backup in case my main CPU dies for some reason.

And besides, it's not even just the ability to slot a new CPU into your motherboard: It's also the ability to slot in your old CPU on a new motherboard, sometimes even being able to make the transition to a new DDR generation in the process. For example, if I have $300 for parts and want to upgrade my system right now, I'm FUBAR for anything but value parts due to needing to replace the 3770k, DDR3 and motherboard whereas if I could reuse my old CPU ala the Phenom II chips being able to run both DDR2 and DDR3 then I'd be able to buy a decent motherboard and RAM, then upgrade my CPU later on after saving up more money. I mean, my 3770k isn't ridiculously slow gaming wise and still is workable for the stuff I do outside of gaming, I'd rather hold off until I can afford something that will last me just as long if not longer and the flexibility of say, being able to get onto the new platform and bump my RAM speed/capacity up would actually be quite beneficial.

I guess the easiest way to put it is that its flexible: If you don't see any value in it, that just says more about your particular strategy for upgrading than anything else in all honesty. (ie. "Throw money at the problem" rather than "Maximum Bang for Buck")
Heck, my Mums PC runs an Athlon 200GE and I plan to upgrade her to a 7nm APU later on mainly for the power consumption and improved iGPU at which point the old CPU will go into storage until I can be bothered getting an ITX board and some RAM for a HTPC, something I probably wouldn't do without already owning one of the parts despite that part being so cheap but will be pretty nice to have. (I'd probably go for something cheaper that can still do 1080p video or in-home streaming, as opposed to a chip that I can happily expect to run a handful of games natively with good performance)

And even just X570s newer features look nice for people wanting to just upgrade their board: Got an NVMe SSD already and want a second one but lack an second M.2 slot? Why not wait for X570 given that it's meant to allow 8 PCIe 4.0 lanes specifically for NVMe storage?

CPU
Intel Core i5 3770k @ 4.6Ghz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Pro3
GPU
AMD Radeon R9 Nano (1050/550)
RAM
4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2200Mhz CL11
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB
Hard Drive
Toshiba P300 2TB
Optical Drive
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS
Power Supply
eVGA Supernova P2 650w
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Lian Li Lancool PC-K60
Operating System
Arch Linux x86-64
Operating System
Windows 10 Bloatfree Edition
Monitor
LG 29WK500-P (2560x1080, 75Hz, Freesync)
Monitor
BenQ G2020HD
Keyboard
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue
Mouse
SteelSeries Sensei Professional
Mouse
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large
Audio
ASUS Xonar DX
Audio
Samson Rubicon R6a
Other
NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller
▲ hide details ▲

post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:39 PM
I <3 narcissists

Well I usually move the system I'm replacing to work and take the work system and hand it down to someone. I used to keep parts laying around but I realized that they went mostly unused and it felt like a waste to have them in a box. They were better off being used by someone else than sitting around in a box until they were old enough to be of no use to anyone.

Quote:
I guess the easiest way to put it is that its flexible: If you don't see any value in it, that just says more about your particular strategy for upgrading than anything else in all honesty.
That works both way, you see value in it for you because of your particular upgrade strategy.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲

post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:43 PM
Madonion.com

Rep: 0
New socket? Good. Wouldn't wanna my new chip to be held back by an old mobo that wasn't designed for it. That being said, I would prefer a 6 or 8 core variant to be honest.
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 152 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by Raghar View Post
Again new socket? C'mon can't we have nice things and when we have 14 nm for 5 years, at least change chipset at most once? Or is it yet another situation when Intel would create new chipset/socket just because, and then find it doesn't have enough manufacturing capacities?
If the new socket requirement came with an additional couple ram channels nobody'd complain... XD

Maybe it's the socket that will finally correctly support 3DxPoint?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in