[Wccftech]Intel Comet Lake-S 10 Core CPUs Allegedly Require New Socket - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Wccftech]Intel Comet Lake-S 10 Core CPUs Allegedly Require New Socket

post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
New socket? Good. Wouldn't wanna my new chip to be held back by an old mobo that wasn't designed for it. That being said, I would prefer a 6 or 8 core variant to be honest.
this is a moot point because the board makers make you aware of any and every limitation your chip will have by being put into a older socket. if you cant live with it then YOU buy the new board. there are many that can live without the extra "features", like during the AM2, AM2+, AM3, and AM3+ eras

Modularity of computer components is what makes building fun. I'm guessing you'd advocate binding GPUs to platforms too?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:32 PM
Madonion.com

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by doritos93 View Post
this is a moot point because the board makers make you aware of any and every limitation your chip will have by being put into a older socket. if you cant live with it then YOU buy the new board. there are many that can live without the extra "features", like during the AM2, AM2+, AM3, and AM3+ eras

Modularity of computer components is what makes building fun. I'm guessing you'd advocate binding GPUs to platforms too?
I had bad experience with older mobo's/new chips in the past. E6600 to Q6600 on 780i, lack of GTL voltage that ruined stability. Sandy to Ivy on Z68, no PCI-E 3.0 and native SATA6, I think. Off the top of my head.

I used AMD exclusively from classic Athlon 700 until 4800+ and after that never touched anything AMD so I'm not familiar with AMD sockets.
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
I had bad experience with older mobo's/new chips in the past. E6600 to Q6600 on 780i, lack of GTL voltage that ruined stability. Sandy to Ivy on Z68, no PCI-E 3.0 and native SATA6, I think. Off the top of my head.

I used AMD exclusively from classic Athlon 700 until 4800+ and after that never touched anything AMD so I'm not familiar with AMD sockets.
My point was that if AMD or Intel are capable of prolonging a the packages life then they should instead of going for obvious cash grabs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
i'm sitting here on X58 waiting for this socket to finally come out so i can upgrade LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in