[Forbes] AMD In Shock Intel-Smashing Performance Claim: Is Cinebench Score Really True? - Page 11 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Forbes] AMD In Shock Intel-Smashing Performance Claim: Is Cinebench Score Really True?

post #101 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 48)
Quote: Originally Posted by Buris View Post
Keep in mind, The actualy computex announcement is in less than 10 hours, so If you would have just kept quiet you wouldn't have been seen as someone who's entirely gullible / disingenuous.

You can't claim someone is wrong before you have any facts to the contrary, likewise, we shouldn't have assumed anyone's leak to be 100% correct, as Adored has said time and time again that these are TBA and TBC.
As expected, he was spouting pure fanfiction right until the last. His clockspeeds aren't just off, they're 400Mhz lower base/boost. His prices are completely wrong, the skus are all wrong, APU part was BS, and finally, Navi info was wrong.

So please, don't take anything he says seriously in the future outside of general guesses. I think he needs to be banned as a source of info personally.

* Ryzen 7 2700X * Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 5 *16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 3200Mhz memory * 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2/500GB Crucial BX300
EVGA FTW2 1070 Ti * NZXT S340 Elite White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Man. 16 Cores sounds crazy compared to i9-9900K

I have a feeling it'll be more like:

12C/24T R9 to compete with i9.
10C R7 no SMT to compete with i7.
8C R5 no SMT to compete with i5.
6C R3 no SMT to compete with i3.
First time I made a prediction with PC hardware. Glad at least I got one right.

Total fail on the product stack below R9 though.

Had a huge feeling 16C/32T mainstream that replaces 1700/1800 product lines wasn't gonna happen soon because these companies would love to slowly milk upticks specially with aspects of tech slowdown today.

I remember a poor fellow back then here OCN where he was alone in thinking that 16C/32T was simply too much for R7 this soon and that was a year ago. Most were kinda aggressive at him.
post #103 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 04:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by tubers View Post
First time I made a prediction with PC hardware. Glad at least I got one right.

Total fail on the product stack below R9 though.

Had a huge feeling 16C/32T mainstream that replaces 1700/1800 product lines wasn't gonna happen soon because these companies would love to slowly milk upticks specially with aspects of tech slowdown today.

I remember a poor fellow back then here OCN where he was alone in thinking that 16C/32T was simply too much for R7 this soon and that was a year ago. Most were kinda aggressive at him.
AMD, as the market underdog, has no reason ever to disable SMT, as it's basically free for them to implement.

Gaming PC: Ryzen r7 3700x; 2x8GB DDR4 b-die @ 3800mhz CL16; Corsair H150i pro cooler; MSI RTX 2080; Corsair AX850 PSU; lots of SSDs, lots of HDDs, Acer XB2710HU 1440P 144hz Gsync Monitor.

Audio: Hifiman HE-400i & O2 amp /ODAC rev B combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:36 AM
The Challenger

Rep: 290 (Unique: 127)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shatun-Bear View Post
As expected, he was spouting pure fanfiction right until the last. His clockspeeds aren't just off, they're 400Mhz lower base/boost. His prices are completely wrong, the skus are all wrong, APU part was BS, and finally, Navi info was wrong.

So please, don't take anything he says seriously in the future outside of general guesses. I think he needs to be banned as a source of info personally.
I'll gladly keep watching his content, because he never claimed that these were true or set in stone. If you can't differentiate between leaks (which may or may not be reliable) and announcements, that's on you.
post #105 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:06 AM
mfw

Rep: 504 (Unique: 234)
Quote: Originally Posted by NightAntilli View Post
I'll gladly keep watching his content, because he never claimed that these were true or set in stone. If you can't differentiate between leaks (which may or may not be reliable) and announcements, that's on you.
If leaks are seldom accurate, are they any good?

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #106 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:31 AM
Spaghetti

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
yes, they're fun, and make for good conversation.

MARS
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G-Skill Sniper
Hard Drive
WD EMAZ001
Hard Drive
WD Black SN750
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
Noctua U12A
Case
NZXT H500
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10
Operating System
Pop! OS
Monitor
BenQ XL2730z
Keyboard
Aukey Mechanical
Mouse
Mionix Castor
Mousepad
Aukey
Audio
PreSonus Eris E3.5
Audio
SennHeiser 598
Audio
Blue Yeti
▲ hide details ▲
post #107 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:56 AM
The Challenger

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
If you look at leaks simply as wanting to know something sooner than the official announcement and having them be 95%+ accurate, they aren't any good. That is especially true if a leak is out more than a month or two in advance, because things are practically guaranteed to change before the product is launched. But that is not what I like about his videos.

I find it interesting how a single chart determines completely whether a leak is right or not. Adored's work is based on a lot of speculation, and he freely admits this. He also knows his leaks can be inaccurate, which is why he says to take them with a grain of salt. But people still see them as some sort of gospel... And then they get angry at the guy, as if he's the one producing the products.

He was completely wrong on the naming on Navi for example. He also said it would still be GCN, although Lisa announced RDNA instead. We don't really know if it's a renaming of GCN since it got some new upgrades, or if it is indeed a truly new architecture.
It might also be possible that some are trying to destroy his credibility by deliberately leaking lies to him, mixed with some true leaks. He has trashed on multiple companies after all...
But in any case, it's not a pure fact that his Ryzen leak was fully wrong, in the sense that it might simply be outdated information. It is off in many ways but some products do line up:
The R7 3700 from the table is the R9 3900X. Price is $200 more in reality. TDP is 10w more. Clocks & cores match.
Similarly the R5 3600 from the table is the R7 3700X. $150 over. Clocks & cores match.
The R3 3300X is a very close match for the real R5 3600. $70 over.

In reality we got lower frequencies, higher prices, but better IPC improvements than expected. It's quite possible that these were design goals that got leaked to AdoredTV, rather than the final products. A lot can change in a couple of months.

It's also equally possible that 5 GHz was planned to be announced, but since Intel announced a 5 GHz all core boost on the 9900K refresh, and Ryzen was only capable of having a single core 5 GHz boost when XFR is enabled, that they refrained from talking about 5GHz entirely. There are still many unknowns here...

I see no reason to hate on the guy because his over 6 month old table doesn't line up with what we got.
post #108 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 10)
Jim fell into a trap so many people fall into.

He wanted that list to be true because it was awesome, so he didn't evaluate it critically until too late. He problematically does that quite frequently.

Now Jim has done some good work, his early as in he was suggesting AMD was going to go the chiplet route back when lots of posters, even people over at realworld tech who actually work in the silicon field were going "naaaah". digging up of the butter doughnut topology has really raised peoples attention to the future that will be active interposers.

Back to the chiplets, I think people don't realize even with the low prices of the new 3000 line how high the margins AMD is going to be raking in. Chiplets really do drop the cost to manufacture, even on a more expensive process with a high defect density. AMDs cost per functional piece of silicon on 7nm is going to be way, way lower then that of Intels 10nm costs, even with the extra packaging costs. Jim was one of the first people to point this out, and I think its something even most people here STILL don't get.

TL;DR His record with leaks is terrible, and he needs to stop doing that stuff. He does his best work when he's poring through engineering papers, conference notes and patent docs and analyzing that.

Last edited by tyvar; 05-27-2019 at 11:06 AM.
post #109 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:16 AM
The Challenger

Quote: Originally Posted by tyvar View Post
Jim fell into a trap so many people fall into.

He wanted that list to be true because it was awesome, so he didn't evaluate it critically until too late. He problematically does that quite frequently.

Now Jim has done some good work, his early as in he was suggesting AMD was going to go the chiplet route back when lots of posters, even people over at realworld tech who actually work in the silicon field were going "naaaah". digging up of the butter doughnut topology has really raised peoples attention to the future that will be active interposers.

Back to the chiplets, I think people don't realize even with the low prices of the new 3000 line how high the margins AMD is going to be raking in. Chiplets really do drop the cost to manufacture, even on a more expensive process with a high defect density. AMDs cost per functional piece of silicon on 7nm is going to be way, way lower then that of Intels 10nm costs, even with the extra packaging costs. Jim was one of the first people to point this out, and I think its something even most people here STILL don't get.

TL;DR His record with leaks is terrible, and he needs to stop doing that stuff. He does his best work when he's poring through engineering papers, conference notes and patent docs and analyzing that.
He announced this yesterday on twitter;
"Just what I was told, the 12 Core boosts to 5GHz. Today however I was told that clocks were much lower than I had suggested but the chips still overclock to 5GHz, which I found strange as you'd think that if they OC to 5GHz then they'd boost to 5GHz..."
https://twitter.com/AdoredTV/status/...773259777?s=19

We don't know anything yet about precision boost & XFR... Let's see what E3 brings.
post #110 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 877 (Unique: 233)
Quote: Originally Posted by NightAntilli View Post
He announced this yesterday on twitter;
"Just what I was told, the 12 Core boosts to 5GHz. Today however I was told that clocks were much lower than I had suggested but the chips still overclock to 5GHz, which I found strange as you'd think that if they OC to 5GHz then they'd boost to 5GHz..."
https://twitter.com/AdoredTV/status/...773259777?s=19

We don't know anything yet about precision boost & XFR... Let's see what E3 brings.
Yep.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)
Zen
(16 items)
Kn0wledge
(18 items)
Ryzen 5 2600
(12 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X470 AORUS Gaming 7 Wifi
GPU
Sapphire Radeon 5700XT Pulse 8GB
RAM
32GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series
Hard Drive
XPG GAMMIX 512GB S11 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Red
Power Supply
OCZ ZX Series 1250W PSU
Case
Lian Li PC011 Dynamic XL Full-Tower Case
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
ViewSonic VX3258-2KC-MHD
Keyboard
CORSAIR Gaming K95 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Mouse
Corsair M65 PRO RGB Gaming Mouse
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence STX
CPU
Intel® Xeon E5-1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme
GPU
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080Ti
RAM
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum PC3-17066
Hard Drive
WD Black NVMe M.2 2280
Hard Drive
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Optical Drive
ASUS internal BW-12B1ST Blu-ray writer
Power Supply
XFX PRO1050W Black Edition
Case
Cosmos II Ultra Tower
Operating System
Windows 10
Operating System
Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance® K90 Performance
Mouse
Logitech G9x Laser Mouse
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard
Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming
GPU
Sapphire Radeon Fury Nitro OC+
RAM
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
Hard Drive
XPG SX8200 Pro
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3
Hard Drive
Seagate 7200.10
Hard Drive
Seagate Scorpio
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
XFX XxX Black Edition 750W
Case
AZZA CSAZ-211 Gaming Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in