Ryzen 3000: Real-time recording test with OBS (2) 2560 × 1440 dots - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Ryzen 3000: Real-time recording test with OBS (2) 2560 × 1440 dots

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 9)
Ryzen 3000: Real-time recording test with OBS (2) 2560 × 1440 dots

^As per title^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=81eoxYZl9hs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:56 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 333 (Unique: 238)
It's not keeping up, software encoding depends a lot on settings you use and how well you can grab the frames before encoding them.
GPU encoder can do 1440p60 no problem in AVC, sadly streaming services do not support HEVC yet which would be noticeably better. I think web browsers don't care about adding HEVC playback so no one develops services with HEVC. Only AVC and VP9.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 152 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
It's not keeping up, software encoding depends a lot on settings you use and how well you can grab the frames before encoding them.
GPU encoder can do 1440p60 no problem in AVC, sadly streaming services do not support HEVC yet which would be noticeably better. I think web browsers don't care about adding HEVC playback so no one develops services with HEVC. Only AVC and VP9.
also the game played has a limited pallet and thus isn't a useful test, but TESTING OBS is a good start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:31 AM
Overclocker

Gamers nexus often does some streaming tests sooner or later I think. Didn't see them yet for Ryzen from them but then this launch week or two are nuts as they all (AMD, NV) hold products until last week and then everyone rushes reviews for a week to hit the launch/nda date.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:55 AM
Adclock.net

Rep: 144 (Unique: 129)
honestly the 3900x looked like it was keeping up just fine, The rest did not

the 3950x will be laughing with it's 4 extra cores 8 extra threads

Click For Awesome (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Mule go_quote.gif

Me and my roommates watched a standalone video of a guy demonstrating it on YouTube. I lost it when he started stroking it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen00 go_quote.gif

I like robo-butts and I can not lie, microchips with a great wave line...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi go_quote.gif

I honestly don't think there's any way to explain it without it sounding weird or one's imagination taking a ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van go_quote.gif

I can't even remember the last time I grounded myself before handling stuff.
Unless it's the middle of the winter and I'm moonwalking across my carpet in socks before tearing a PC apart I'm not worried about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan go_quote.gif

A laptop is still a PC, albeit a portable one. You can tell how many laptops there are by looking at the 1366*768. Most people don't play...biggrin.gif

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:34 AM
Debian Dude

Rep: 165 (Unique: 117)
There is a battle going on behind the scenes with respect to software developers (including those who make the browsers) and the licensors for HEVC. Developers largely want to standardize on AOM's open AV1 codec, the successor to VP9, instead of having yet another round of licensing nonsense. The main trouble is that it's computationally more complex than HEVC and hardware acceleration hasn't made it to consumer GPUs. I also understand that AV1 will require a larger fixed function block (ie more silicon) to build out in hardware. Regardless, both of these things seem to be changing. Chrome and Firefox both have software AV1 playback support. Intel has been focusing on making the software encoder much faster over the last year. Youtube is using it for lower resolutions on many videos where software decoders can perform just fine on a wide variety of hardware.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
I was highly intrested to see 3000 series encoding performance but there not a ton of test yet.

Though at its current state NVENC is almost as good as x264 medium so encoding via the cpu is starting to get semi pointless, at least as far as single streaming pc are concerned. Pascal and turning after the big update to OBS increased the quality of streaming leaps and bounds.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:47 AM
Overclocker

Quote: Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post
honestly the 3900x looked like it was keeping up just fine, The rest did not

the 3950x will be laughing with it's 4 extra cores 8 extra threads
All depends on what encoding settings you use if the CPU will keep up or not.

Quote: Originally Posted by Particle View Post
There is a battle going on behind the scenes with respect to software developers (including those who make the browsers) and the licensors for HEVC. Developers largely want to standardize on AOM's open AV1 codec, the successor to VP9, instead of having yet another round of licensing nonsense. The main trouble is that it's computationally more complex than HEVC and hardware acceleration hasn't made it to consumer GPUs. I also understand that AV1 will require a larger fixed function block (ie more silicon) to build out in hardware. Regardless, both of these things seem to be changing. Chrome and Firefox both have software AV1 playback support. Intel has been focusing on making the software encoder much faster over the last year. Youtube is using it for lower resolutions on many videos where software decoders can perform just fine on a wide variety of hardware.
Yes. It was similar with H264/AVC at the beginning.
AV1... the last time I tried it the encoder it ran super slow and didn't even work. Never saw YouTube offer AV1, ever, nor for download where all the versions are available including HDR.

Seems it's beta only:

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/09/13/ho...rt-on-youtube/

Quote:
Chrome users need to run at least version 70 of the web browser, Firefox users at least version 63 of the browser.
Quote:
More video for less data
The AV1 video codec provides advanced compression, bringing you smoother streaming in HD and data savings for more video on the go.

AV1 decoding is not available on this browser yet.
Hardware in 2020, yeah that sounds about right even coming from Google.

---

I will have to test Turing's encoder again, need more drive space though and some game that doesn't choke my CPU for testing XD
Hopefully some of the encoding tools are updated and stable by now as well. Though they tend to be a hit or miss even with NV cards.

What's the best encoder for Turing cards? What settings offer best quality for AVC, and HEVC? Most people often stick to some GUI suite (Handbrake, etc.) with some encoder built in, which is very limiting and more of "I want to convert 1 video with no post processing", not "I want to batch post process and encode a folder of videos". If it doesn't support VapourSynth, that's a bummer. Some encoders also offer NV's builtin/coded post processing "functions", resize, denoise, etc. as bad as they are at times.

Last edited by JackCY; 07-08-2019 at 07:54 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:01 AM
RTX ON FPS OFF

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
So from my experience, combining OBS and gaming, 10-12 cores should be about the sweet spot for gaming/encoding performance. Beyond this point you will see greatly diminishing returns in terms of framerate increase (to pre-encoding load levels), mitigation of framerate/frametime stutters (those caused by heavy and varying loads due to game + encoder), and speed of encoding.

From some testing I have done with my 7980XE, there is virtually no difference between running 14C/14T and 18C/36T except that one produces a lot more heat thus lowering absolute clock speeds (to more like 4.8-4.9 vs 5.0 on all cores) and ultimately performance. Even 14C/14T @ 5.0 vs 18C/18T @ 5.0 has no difference in game quality and encoding quality.

Once you reach enough cores that the game’s thread’s can operate on their own cores, and allow for ~6 extra cores/8 threads that can handle the OBS load, you will likely max out at medium or fast for the preset simply because attempting slow or even medium if the IPC is not there will not net you any better output quality. Well, I mean per frame the quality might get better, but if you are constantly dropping frames that doesn’t really mean much.

SO to bring this all back on topic, I am really curious to see if there will be any discernable performance uplift from going 12C/24T to 16C/32T with a reduction in frequency. To me it seems like a waste, I know that eventually it will be possible that some games could really make use of those extra threads, but if you are thinking about utilizing this CPU NOW and have a budget and could use the extra money elsewhere, I would say take the savings from the 3950X purchase and invest in a better GPU or faster memory (3733) to max out the infinity fabric. Obviously if money is no issue it might not matter, but like I said before absolute thread count =/= any better performance than having simply *enough* threads at the right ghz.

Personally, I see much better results with 14C/14T 5.0ghz vs 18C/36T 4.8ghz, both in terms of heat output and overall performance. This is especially true since my GPU sits a bit cooler and boosts higher because of it.

I do wish someone would do a thorough OBS/streamlabs/etc test for how find the right processor and core/thread/clockspeed for you and what kind of output you can expect. Obviously there are a lot of variables, but I believe there is a big market for finding this stuff out as more and more people stream.

KRAKEN
(13 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2
Cooling
EK Velocity Nickel-Plexi, EK Vector RTX Nickel-Plexi, EK EX360, Koolance 360mm, Enermax Neochanger
Case
Thermaltake A500
Operating System
W10 Premium
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair LUX
Mouse
Logitech G502 Spectrum
Audio
Audiotechnica ATH-900X, SBX G5, MODMIC
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
I want to see frame time graphs as that is something that most people tend to forget when streaming.

Cpu encoding can hit those a bit hard and in competitive shooters that's not ideal. Gpu encoding really is impressive in that fps and frame times suffer minimal loss.

Cpu encoding is getting to be less important for these reasons but if your running dual pc setup x264 is still considered the best but its lead is getting small at this point. And dual pc setup are not as much needed as hardware has gotten alot better in recent years.

Turning encoder is mighty impressive. I wonder if Nvidia on there next gen stuff(ampere) will improve it even farther.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in