[Tom's Hardware] AMD Flute SoC Rumored for Xbox Project Scarlett Sees First Leak - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Tom's Hardware] AMD Flute SoC Rumored for Xbox Project Scarlett Sees First Leak

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:44 AM
Spaghetti

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
When looking at a specialty cpu like in this case, is it safe to assume that the base clock is the max frequency for stressed across all threads and the boost frequency is single threaded?
Unsure, I think an 8c/16t part on 7nm would have little problem maintaining 3.2Ghz boosted on all cores, probably would only use 25 watts at that low of a clockspeed.

MARS
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G-Skill Sniper
Hard Drive
WD EMAZ001
Hard Drive
WD Black SN750
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
Noctua U12A
Case
NZXT H500
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10
Operating System
Pop! OS
Monitor
BenQ XL2730z
Keyboard
Aukey Mechanical
Mouse
Mionix Castor
Mousepad
Aukey
Audio
PreSonus Eris E3.5
Audio
SennHeiser 598
Audio
Blue Yeti
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 343 (Unique: 284)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
When looking at a specialty cpu like in this case, is it safe to assume that the base clock is the max frequency for stressed across all threads and the boost frequency is single threaded?
My bet is that it will mostly do the same thing as windows, and just dynamically clock cores based on load, power, and heat.

A console has a limited power budget and cooling capacity. The first iteration of the console will probably be about 125 watts total system draw, which means that CPU/APU has to fit comfortably inside 95 watts or so peak. With eight ryzen cores you can pretty easily shoot that budget running an all core load; especially if you add a GPU load on top of that.

Quote: Originally Posted by Buris View Post
Unsure, I think an 8c/16t part on 7nm would have little problem maintaining 3.2Ghz boosted on all cores, probably would only use 25 watts at that low of a clockspeed.
I'm not so sure about that. Ryzen 2 consumer parts aren't clocked that much higher, and they easily push past 95 watts under a heavy load without adding in the power draw of the igpu.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 202 (Unique: 181)
Quote: Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post
My bet is that it will mostly do the same thing as windows, and just dynamically clock cores based on load, power, and heat.

A console has a limited power budget and cooling capacity. The first iteration of the console will probably be about 125 watts total system draw, which means that CPU/APU has to fit comfortably inside 95 watts or so peak. With eight ryzen cores you can pretty easily shoot that budget running an all core load; especially if you add a GPU load on top of that.

I'm not so sure about that. Ryzen 2 consumer parts aren't clocked that much higher, and they easily push past 95 watts under a heavy load without adding in the power draw of the igpu.
They'll probably try to build the console around 225w as the goal. At least, that's what Sony had as a goal for the first PS4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzman go_quote.gif
Computer viruses are like herpes. You never think in a million years you'd get one... Till you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 185 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
too bad we won't be seeing this chip in a laptop.
if those consoles could be had for $500, a laptop with this chip should be less than $1000.
Not that many people want to carry around a laptop that heavy or loud. It's all about Ultrabooks ever since Intel created that form factor in 2011. If they do they'll buy a laptop with a discreet GPU since I'm sure the Turing mobile parts are quicker than the Navi iGPU in the xbox.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz w/ .975v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 07-24-2019 at 01:49 PM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:25 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 346 (Unique: 244)
Quote: Originally Posted by delboy67 View Post
Do you think there's some sort exclusivity deal with sony/ms? I thought we would've seen a big apu for the dt or laptop market well before now.
LOL.

They are custom designs made to order. So yes you could say there is an "exclusivity" deal haha.

AMD is damn slow releasing good APUs always 1 generation behind. Last time they even made a deal with Intel to make an APU and sold them their engineers along with it.

Laptops are very power constrained so they often get different parts although nowadays they get the low power desktop parts really. Just buy a 3400G laptop what's stopping you, they've been selling Ryzen CPU laptops a while now.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:37 AM
Amiga 600

Rep: 53 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
LOL.

They are custom designs made to order. So yes you could say there is an "exclusivity" deal haha.

AMD is damn slow releasing good APUs always 1 generation behind. Last time they even made a deal with Intel to make an APU and sold them their engineers along with it.

Laptops are very power constrained so they often get different parts although nowadays they get the low power desktop parts really. Just buy a 3400G laptop what's stopping you, they've been selling Ryzen CPU laptops a while now.
Your post implies amd is a manufacturer and sony/ms own the ip? Amd own the ip so they could in theory make a similar apu and sell it if they wanted. What I mean is they havent released anything at all for the diy or even laptop market that might directly compete with the console apus.

C64>Amiga600>Packard Bell pre-built>Custom build1>Compaq pre-built>Custom build2>xb360+ps3>Custom build3>Custom build4+HP Envy 15
Custom build 4
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard
Asrock B450 K4
GPU
Asus ROG Strixx Vega 56
RAM
16GB 3200mhz Corsair lpx
Hard Drive
Crucial P1 1TB NVME
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB HDD
Power Supply
Corsair hx650
Cooling
Amd wraith
Case
Aviator V
Operating System
Win10
Monitor
iiyama 27" 1440p freesync
Keyboard
Corsair K30
Mouse
Logitech G300
Mousepad
Razer Sphex
Audio
Logitech
Other
Oculus Rift S
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 134 (Unique: 85)
Your post implies amd is a manufacturer and sony/ms own the ip? Amd own the ip so they could in theory make a similar apu and sell it if they wanted. What I mean is they havent released anything at all for the diy or even laptop market that might directly compete with the console apus.
With Microsoft doing things like the DX12 Command Processor on Xbox One X, and now rumors of hardware accelerated Havok, I’d bet they do own the IP for at least some of the silicon.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 231 (Unique: 109)
Do you think that selling a design and then using it yourself is a good business practice?

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:57 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 346 (Unique: 244)
Just a buy a console then and install different OS on it if you want that hardware.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 45 (Unique: 27)
Laptops don't have a shared memory architecture CPU/GPU like the consoles where one uses GDDR memory and the other has some cache specialty thing.. and both have slower clocks and not based of Zen cores. I expect to see better laptop APUs using Zen 2 at the next release but I wouldn't expect them to have the same graphics power as the consoles.. mostly due to power limitations and market needs. If I want a gaming laptop I don't want an APU.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in