[TPU] AMD Readies Three HEDT Chipsets: TRX40, TRX80, and WRX80 - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TPU] AMD Readies Three HEDT Chipsets: TRX40, TRX80, and WRX80

post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 175 (Unique: 129)
128 PCIE lanes? That's just banana's.

Guess I won't have to look for which USB port is 3.1 anymore and can finally throw away all those dirty SATA drives.

Now if only I used some type of software that would actually see benefits from 8-channel memory...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:30 AM
Just living in a van...

Rep: 124 (Unique: 100)
Quote: Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post
Why would AMD want people to buy Threadripper instead of Epyc? If they buy AMD at all, AMD is happy.
I think the bigger problem is some folks (like myself) simply won't buy Threadripper until motherboards offer all the features I'm actually looking for. The chips themselves are great, but the board solutions have been gaming-centric and are, in my mind, incomplete without official ECC support. I suspect this will not be an issue this coming generation and I'm particularly curious about the WRX80.

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Hey I get one of these!

Rep: 319 (Unique: 222)
Quote: Originally Posted by technodanvan View Post
I think the bigger problem is some folks (like myself) simply won't buy Threadripper until motherboards offer all the features I'm actually looking for. The chips themselves are great, but the board solutions have been gaming-centric and are, in my mind, incomplete without official ECC support. I suspect this will not be an issue this coming generation and I'm particularly curious about the WRX80.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...rt#support-doc

Official ECC support since April 2018. Done.

Not that it matters. Epyc and SP3 boards do not cost much more than Threadripper/X399, and then you get to use cheaper buffered ECC, and much more of it.

Forge
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
AMD 5700XT PowerColor Devil
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo (2x16GB 3600Mhz/C16)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Corsair H150i
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-9
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 175 (Unique: 129)
Why would you go TR over Epyc in an application where ECC is necessary?

(actually asking, I have no clue)

post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Just living in a van...

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...rt#support-doc

Official ECC support since April 2018. Done.

Not that it matters. Epyc and SP3 boards do not cost much more than Threadripper/X399, and then you get to use cheaper buffered ECC, and much more of it.
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
Why would you go TR over Epyc in an application where ECC is necessary?

(actually asking, I have no clue)
I apologize, my post was not complete.

Clock speed and cost would be the two primary factors. While Epyc motherboards are priced reasonably well, equivalent (or near-equivalent) 1P chips are notably more expensive than their (faster) TR counterparts. Additionally, the need for ECC compatibility is not necessarily (for me, at least) an immediate concern. A few years down the line as I inevitably replace this hypothetical computer it would probably become my home server. Of course, plans change and all that, but I like having the flexibility - especially at the price point we're talking about.

The Designare has actually been in my watch list for a while now, but I'm 'hoping' to find a board with 10g and a somewhat less ostentatious design. With the exception of Asus, I'm concerned about the ability to shut off all the RGB lighting on these boards without needing to install proprietary software. I know Asus lets you manage it within the BIOS and AsRock seemingly does not (at least I haven't found it yet), but I don't know about other brands.

post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:38 PM
Hey I get one of these!

I apologize, my post was not complete.

Clock speed and cost would be the two primary factors. While Epyc motherboards are priced reasonably well, equivalent (or near-equivalent) 1P chips are notably more expensive than their (faster) TR counterparts. Additionally, the need for ECC compatibility is not necessarily (for me, at least) an immediate concern. A few years down the line as I inevitably replace this hypothetical computer it would probably become my home server. Of course, plans change and all that, but I like having the flexibility - especially at the price point we're talking about.

The Designare has actually been in my watch list for a while now, but I'm 'hoping' to find a board with 10g and a somewhat less ostentatious design. With the exception of Asus, I'm concerned about the ability to shut off all the RGB lighting on these boards without needing to install proprietary software. I know Asus lets you manage it within the BIOS and AsRock seemingly does not (at least I haven't found it yet), but I don't know about other brands.
The Designare has a whole one RGB, on the SB, and can be disabled/changed in BIOS without software.

Forget 10G as a board feature entirely. 10GBase-T (the only 10g they put onboard on consumer boards) is a bad and expensive path to go down with no future. What you want (provided you have not already paid into CAT6) is SFP+, as there is a lot of SFP+ gear for cheap on ebay, as well as QSFP+ (40g) because businesses are upgrading from 10g/40g to 25g/100g. You can pick up a Intel X520-DA1 (or DA2) for like $40-50, fibre itself is actually cheap, and so are 10g transceivers. ...Or if you're like 10ft from your switch you can just buy a $10 DAC and not deal with any of that.

Forge
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Corsair H150i
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Mouse
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-9
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 199 (Unique: 133)
What you want (provided you have not already paid into CAT6) is SFP+, as there is a lot of SFP+ gear for cheap on ebay, as well as QSFP+ (40g) because businesses are upgrading from 10g/40g to 25g/100g.
Good advice! I really like my 40GbE LAN using Ebay hardware.

We need to drop CAT to get > ~5GbE in a practical way, this is why 10GbE is still not really standard, we want to keep CAT and it is not really good enough for 10GbE even today. If I were to get on-board 10GbE I would want it to use SFP+.

"Soldering resistors onto your video card to bypass the manufacturers over current protection kind-of sort-of absolute-definitely voids your warranty"
Desktop
(17 items)
CPU
Intel i9-7900X @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Apex
GPU
2080 Ti
RAM
32GB DDR4 4000
Hard Drive
Intel 900P
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
Seasonic 1200W
Cooling
EK Monoblock + GPU
Case
Old Marble Slab
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG C9 55"
Keyboard
Wooting two
Mouse
Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Mousepad
Logitech G PowerPlay
Audio
Arctis Pro Wireless
Other
Mellanox ConnectX-3 MCX354A-FCCT 40 GbE
▲ hide details ▲

post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:25 PM
Just living in a van...

Thanks for the input you two, that is certainly something worth considering.

post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:21 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 275 (Unique: 215)
Why would AMD want people to buy Threadripper instead of Epyc? If they buy AMD at all, AMD is happy.
EPYC is primarily aimed at the server market where performance-per-watt is king. In the desktop market, efficiency is sacrificed for outright performance - which tends to suit desktop-class applications where workloads (such as rendering, software compilation) benefit from the increased clock speeds on offer. If AMD only wanted EPYC in high-end desktop and professional workstations, Threadripper simply would not exist.

Ryzen
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3
GPU
Sapphire Pulse Vega 56
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Storage Array
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME 1000 Ultra
Cooling
AMD Wraith Spire
Case
Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Operating System
KDE Neon 18.04 LTS
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Keyboard
Dell SK-8185
Mouse
Logitech Trackman Wheel
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:50 AM
Hey I get one of these!

Quote: Originally Posted by parityboy View Post
EPYC is primarily aimed at the server market where performance-per-watt is king. In the desktop market, efficiency is sacrificed for outright performance - which tends to suit desktop-class applications where workloads (such as rendering, software compilation) benefit from the increased clock speeds on offer. If AMD only wanted EPYC in high-end desktop and professional workstations, Threadripper simply would not exist.
Know whats faster than a 3.0Ghz 32-core in an application that can make use of 32 cores? Two 2.25ghz 32 cores. Threadripper does not hold the performance crown over Epyc.

Threadripper exists as a medium ground between people who need more, but don't need everything, just like Intel's HEDT. Also just like Intel's HEDT, it does not have some features that are considered important to workstations, such as buffered ECC. AMD has no reason to allow Threadripper to directly encroach upon Epyc's space when you can buy Epyc for just that little bit more.

Why would AMD shoot Epyc in the foot when they have no reason to do so?

Thanks for the input you two, that is certainly something worth considering.
To put it in context and clarify, I got;
  • An IBM Blade G8000 with 2xSFP+ expansion card for $100
  • An IBM Blade G8124 for $400
  • Two 75ft cyan multimode fibre cables for $25
  • Four Arista transceivers for $40
  • Four X520-DA2s for $130
  • Six 3ft Dell DACs for $30

This allows my two desktops to be connected at 10g, my gameserver connected at 10g, my main server to be connected at 40g (4x10gs, it's ESXi so servers are split between the NICs), and my PFSense box connected at 10g, with everything else including wifi connected at 1g (which connects to the G8124 via 10g).

Enterprise hardware does come with compatibility concerns to keep in mind, but the potential for upgradeability is far higher if that is a route you want to go. Most people do not need a 24-port 10g switch, but if you can work with a 24/48 1g that has a SFP+ uplink or two for your server, that can be had really cheap.

Forge
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Corsair H150i
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Mouse
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-9
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in