[TPU] AMD Readies Three HEDT Chipsets: TRX40, TRX80, and WRX80 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TPU] AMD Readies Three HEDT Chipsets: TRX40, TRX80, and WRX80

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 73
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
[TPU] AMD Readies Three HEDT Chipsets: TRX40, TRX80, and WRX80



https://www.techpowerup.com/258739/a...rx80-and-wrx80

Quote:
AMD is preparing to surprise Intel with its 3rd generation Ryzen Threadripper processors derived from the "Rome" MCM (codenamed "Castle Peak" for the client-platform), that features up to 64 CPU cores, a monolithic 8-channel DDR4 memory interface, and 128 PCIe gen 4.0 lanes. For the HEDT platform, AMD could reconfigure the I/O controller die for two distinct sub-platforms within HEDT - one targeting gamers/enthusiasts, and another targeting the demographic that buys Xeon W processors, including the W-3175X.
Welp. If Intel doesn't counter with a reasonably priced Socket A LGA 3647 16 or 24 core (not a $3000+ 28 core), I might really go AMD this round.


Last edited by SuprPwrUsr; 08-29-2019 at 07:40 PM.
SuprPwrUsr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:07 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
n4p0l3onic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 538
Rep: 16 (Unique: 13)
It would be absolutely crazy if there going to be both cpus and motherboards for trx40 that cost the same or maybe slightly less than the upper end of x570 system.

Say a 12 core threadripper 3920x with a $300 trx40 board. Will that be possible?
n4p0l3onic is offline  
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:52 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
braincracking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 185
Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by n4p0l3onic View Post
It would be absolutely crazy if there going to be both cpus and motherboards for trx40 that cost the same or maybe slightly less than the upper end of x570 system.

Say a 12 core threadripper 3920x with a $300 trx40 board. Will that be possible?
I think that TRX40 might just be exactly that. So low end boards for around $300 should be possible, like x299 really.

Martian Horiz(e)n
(12 items)
The Leftover(s)
(18 items)
CPU
R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master x570
GPU
Galax 1080ti FE
RAM
G Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 - CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO
Power Supply
Superflower Leadex 750 Gold
Cooling
EK blocks, rads, pump/res - Barrow fittings, petg tubing.
Case
In win 509
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 34uc88-b
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB - MX brown
Mouse
Corsair M65 RGB
CPU
3770k
Motherboard
AsRock Z77 Extreme 6
GPU
Vega 56
RAM
Kingston Hyper X DDR3
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Hard Drive
Samsung Qvo
Power Supply
CoolerMaster V1000
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo
Cooling
EK Duraclear
Cooling
Barrow compression fittings
Cooling
360 Radiator HWLabs Nemesis GT360
Cooling
Deepcool RF120M x 6 RGB fans
Case
Deepcool Matrox 500
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Monitor
Viewsonic 3440x1440 curved
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Corsair M65
Audio
Aune T1SE DAC
▲ hide details ▲
braincracking is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 73
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
TRX80 with 8 channels of memory and 128 pie lanes is crazy. I wonder if the 32 core version will perform good in games without having to enable game mode. similar to the current 2950x vs 2990wx.

Last edited by SuprPwrUsr; 08-30-2019 at 05:36 AM.
SuprPwrUsr is offline  
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:46 AM
Overclocking Enthusiast
 
ozlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,765
Rep: 287 (Unique: 227)
Well I can't find a 3900x... I guess ill wait for Threadripper.

Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲


ozlay is offline  
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 06:51 AM
Hey I get one of these!
 
KyadCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,419
Rep: 316 (Unique: 220)
Quote: Originally Posted by SuprPwrUsr View Post
TRX80 with 8 channels of memory and 128 pie lanes is crazy. I wonder if the 32 core version will perform good in games without having to enable game mode. similar to the current 2950x vs 2990wx.
The issue with the 2990WX was that two of the dies did not have direct access to memory. Zen 2 chips (Ryzen 3000, Epyc 7002, and TR3) do not have this limitation due to the IO die design. A CPU with insanely high core counts will not be the best for gaming for many reasons, but it will not be crippled like the 2990WX was.

In theory, the only thing stopping a 32 or 64-core TR3 chip from performing exactly the same in games as a 3700X is power and thermal concerns.

--------------------------

....... X399 was insane. TRX40 is still insane.

TRX80 is.... wow. AMD wants intel to simply not exist in any segment. Jesus christ.

Also thank you for noting that the new chips will work in my X399 board, I don't need PCI-e 4.0 right now and 3200 14-14-14 should be fine, I'll just take the higher clocks and lower power consumption. Please still make a 16-core for us lowly plebs that can not afford a 64-core. (wow what a sentence to type! )

Forge
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
AMD 5700XT PowerColor Devil
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo (2x16GB 3600Mhz/C16)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Corsair H150i
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-9
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
▲ hide details ▲
KyadCK is offline  
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:13 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
EniGma1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,460
Rep: 346 (Unique: 255)
Quote: Originally Posted by n4p0l3onic View Post
It would be absolutely crazy if there going to be both cpus and motherboards for trx40 that cost the same or maybe slightly less than the upper end of x570 system.

Say a 12 core threadripper 3920x with a $300 trx40 board. Will that be possible?



Given the package size and inherent cost of it along with the larger IO die, I would not expect any CPU under 16 cores for the new threadrippers. I would bet the TRX40 platform will have 16, 24, 32 count processors available, while the TRX80 would support the same as well as 40, 48 56, and 64 count processors (or possibly removing the 40 and 56 count models to cut down on SKUs). Going in groups of 8 since each die is 8 cores, and all defective dies with less functional cores are most likely used for Ryzen processors.
I would also expect barebones base price MBs for this to start around $300-350, given the huge socket cost, the extra memory traces needed, and the extra routing of PCIE traces for additional lanes. Typical middle of the road boards will probably be $500-600 given the prices we are seeing for the 4.0 compatible boards already.

EniGma1987 is offline  
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:44 AM
Debian Dude
 
Particle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Soviet Kansastan
Posts: 2,182
Rep: 168 (Unique: 120)
Quote: Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post
The issue with the 2990WX was that two of the dies did not have direct access to memory. Zen 2 chips (Ryzen 3000, Epyc 7002, and TR3) do not have this limitation due to the IO die design. A CPU with insanely high core counts will not be the best for gaming for many reasons, but it will not be crippled like the 2990WX was.

In theory, the only thing stopping a 32 or 64-core TR3 chip from performing exactly the same in games as a 3700X is power and thermal concerns.

--------------------------

....... X399 was insane. TRX40 is still insane.

TRX80 is.... wow. AMD wants intel to simply not exist in any segment. Jesus christ.

Also thank you for noting that the new chips will work in my X399 board, I don't need PCI-e 4.0 right now and 3200 14-14-14 should be fine, I'll just take the higher clocks and lower power consumption. Please still make a 16-core for us lowly plebs that can not afford a 64-core. (wow what a sentence to type! )
This isn't an argument about anything you've said, but just for clarity: The sockets are SP3 (server) and TR4 (HEDT).

Particle is offline  
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Hey I get one of these!
 
KyadCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,419
Rep: 316 (Unique: 220)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
Given the package size and inherent cost of it along with the larger IO die, I would not expect any CPU under 16 cores for the new threadrippers. I would bet the TRX40 platform will have 16, 24, 32 count processors available, while the TRX80 would support the same as well as 40, 48 56, and 64 count processors (or possibly removing the 40 and 56 count models to cut down on SKUs). Going in groups of 8 since each die is 8 cores, and all defective dies with less functional cores are most likely used for Ryzen processors.
I would also expect barebones base price MBs for this to start around $300-350, given the huge socket cost, the extra memory traces needed, and the extra routing of PCIE traces for additional lanes. Typical middle of the road boards will probably be $500-600 given the prices we are seeing for the 4.0 compatible boards already.
Just so you are aware, not all Epyc 2 chips have all eight dies on them, or at least not all eight active.

https://wccftech.com/amd-epyc-rome-7...128-pcie-gen4/

256MB L3 is 8 die, 192MB is 6 die, 128MB is 4 die, and 64MB is 2 die. You'll also notice that EPYC 2 is available all the way down to 8 cores, and that they have several different configurations for the same core counts, like the $450 1P 8c/16t/64MB vs the $575 2P 8c/16t/128MB.

Either way they can still only operate at a minimum of a core disabled per CCX, NOT per CCD. In a 8-die chip they can only operate in 16/32/48/64, so a 40 or 56-core chip would not be possible. Same with the 6-die chips running in 12/24/48.

-------------

I dunno if I want a 2die or 4 die version of TR3's 16/32t chip.

On the one hand, 4 die (like the 7302P) is much less thermal density, more cache, and possibly better bined cores. On the other hand, more cores enabled per CCX (like the 7282) would be better for latency if all else is equal and lower power over all.

Clearly AMD believes that more dies and cache is better as they do charge more for them, but my desktop workload doesn't overlap much with my server workloads. Hmm...

Quote: Originally Posted by Particle View Post
This isn't an argument about anything you've said, but just for clarity: The sockets are SP3 (server) and TR4 (HEDT).
Yup.

To clarify my post; TR3 = Threadripper 3000 series.

AMD did not make this easy on us. Ryzen vs Zen, TR4 for the TR socket, "Ryzen 3" vs Ryzen 3/5/7. Confusion everywhere.

Forge
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
AMD 5700XT PowerColor Devil
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo (2x16GB 3600Mhz/C16)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Corsair H150i
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-9
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
▲ hide details ▲
KyadCK is offline  
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:02 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Maximization's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 1,440
Rep: 31 (Unique: 30)
i cant wait for my computer to blow up so i have to buy a new computer

Raidmax Scorpio
(7 items)
INA
(19 items)
CPU
opteron 185
Motherboard
a8n sli deluxe
GPU
ati 5870 XFX
RAM
Kingston
Power Supply
Silverstone Zeus 650 watt
Case
Raidmax Scorpio
Operating System
Vista 64 Ultimate
CPU
xeon E5-1680 V2
Motherboard
RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
GPU
1080Ti Poseidon
GPU
1080Ti Poseidon
RAM
G.Skill F3-12800CL10-8GBXL
Hard Drive
Sandisk SSD
Optical Drive
DVD WRITER
Optical Drive
BLU-RAY WRITER
Power Supply
SEASONIC SS-850KM ACTIVE PFC F3
Cooling
CUSTOM LOOP
Case
RAVEN 03
Operating System
windows 10 pro
Operating System
VISTA 64 ULTIMATE
Monitor
Philips BDM4065UC 40"
Keyboard
CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK
Mouse
Utech Smart laser mouse
Mouse
CYBER SNIPA TRACER
Audio
ONBOARD
Other
Scythe Kama Rack 5.25" Bay Multi Media / Dual 2.5" HDD Mobile Rack Device (SCKMRK-5)
▲ hide details ▲
Maximization is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off