[TPU] AMD Readies Larger 7nm "Navi 12" Silicon to Power Radeon RX 5800 Series - Page 11 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TPU] AMD Readies Larger 7nm "Navi 12" Silicon to Power Radeon RX 5800 Series

post #101 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:29 PM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1806 (Unique: 1179)
Quote: Originally Posted by dantoddd View Post
Lets see. I'm pretty sure the AMD card will come by the end of this year and I hope it will be close to the 2080Ti at around USD 800 without the RTX bells and whistles. At the same time Nvidia is going to invest heavily in RTX implementations.

I bought my 2080Ti not for RTX stuff but because it was teh only card that gave close to 60fps at 4k, since then i've switched to 3440x1440 panel with GSYNC. That's when i played Control with RTX and for me the qualitative difference in RTX on and off was night and day, and not just me but every reviewer has pretty much said this. Also, i was confortably playing at 60+ fps with one RTX feature turned off and with 2x AA. Now nvidia has a bunch of RTX titles coming up, pretty big ones TBH. Lets see how this difference plays off.

Also, i was saying pretty much the same thing u are saying until I played Control. I had BF5 and Metro, in both cases the RTX features weren't worth the performance hit.
Control might have the best RTX but the game itself looks far worse than Metro and BF5. It's like looking at Minecraft were RTX is very apparent. I still found Control RTX implementation trashy. If you think that IQ is acceptable then all be it.

Yamato
(10 items)
Ishimura
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
GPU
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Gamdias Chione M1A-280R
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:33 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 188 (Unique: 130)
Gears 5 has screen space reflections. Looks nice but the artifacts are very noticeable.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #103 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 234 (Unique: 110)
That's when i played Control with RTX and for me the qualitative difference in RTX on and off was night and day, and not just me but every reviewer has pretty much said this.
Because developers gimp the visuals when DXR is off. It was pretty clear with Metro Exodus. Try Resident Evil 2 Remake, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice or some other game that actually tries and you will see how much developers leave out in DXR titles just to buff up the comparison.

Control with DXR off doesn't even try to fake reflections for god's sake.

And not to talk about it halving your FPS when the whole thing is on that I'm sure will only get worse as more effects are added. Wait until they want to do caustics, SSS and transmission.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter

Last edited by Imouto; 09-08-2019 at 04:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:47 AM
Food Editor

Rep: 725 (Unique: 381)
Lets see. I'm pretty sure the AMD card will come by the end of this year and I hope it will be close to the 2080Ti at around USD 800 without the RTX bells and whistles. At the same time Nvidia is going to invest heavily in RTX implementations.

I bought my 2080Ti not for RTX stuff but because it was teh only card that gave close to 60fps at 4k, since then i've switched to 3440x1440 panel with GSYNC. That's when i played Control with RTX and for me the qualitative difference in RTX on and off was night and day, and not just me but every reviewer has pretty much said this. Also, i was confortably playing at 60+ fps with one RTX feature turned off and with 2x AA. Now nvidia has a bunch of RTX titles coming up, pretty big ones TBH. Lets see how this difference plays off.

Also, i was saying pretty much the same thing u are saying until I played Control. I had BF5 and Metro, in both cases the ray tracking features weren't worth the performance hit.
Control is the most underwhelming graphical release I've seen in quite some time, tbh. With or without ray tracing on. it looked great on my buddies tiny laptop, but in 4K? meh, GTA5 has better graphics, and every single other DX12 title to drop blows it outta the water with and without Ray Tracing enabled.

you're right, nv already balls deep in ray tracing, as they should be. It'll be relevant eventually, and someone needs to buy it. Enjoy!

Yes, nvidia will keep hammering Ray Tracing, as its the only thing that separates them from AMD & Next consoles at this point. Let's just hope they don't skimp so much next time. Things are clearly whack right now if someone like me is debating buying an AMD card instead of an NV flagship for the first time in a decade.

at the core of my being though, i don't care about any of it until we get HDMI 2.1/DP1.4+ on our cards. They're all garbage until then.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in