[Notebook Check]AMD leaves the RX Vega 56, RX Vega 64 and Radeon VII out in the cold; claims it is listening - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Notebook Check]AMD leaves the RX Vega 56, RX Vega 64 and Radeon VII out in the cold; claims it is listening

post #31 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
On AMD's Reddit they want you to vote on it.

https://www.feedback.amd.com/se/5A1E...df3c_326939553
As of now Integer Scaling and Image Sharpening have a substantial lead.

I actually want to try Integer Scaling for modern games rendered at 4K and upscaled to 8K.
Of course Checkerboarding is far preferred as a near functional equivalent to higher resolutions at much greater efficiency than native rendering, but Integer Scaling could still let me use higher hardware pixel density to solve some of the issues with raw native 4K while maintaining sharpness, unlike most Anti-Aliasing methods used today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 695 (Unique: 426)
Nvidia rumor = Fact
AMD Rumor = They didn't mean what they said.

I have a big bang house. I had all the materials for my new house brought in and dumped on a vacant lot. I took a stick of dynamite, lit the fuse on fire and tossed it into the pile of materials. BOOM went the explosion and when the dust settled I had a new house! Amazing isn't it?
Super P's Rig
(21 items)
Noahman
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON
GPU
Gigabyte RTX 2070S
RAM
XPG Spectrix D41 3600MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
MyDigitalSSD SBX
Hard Drive
WD Black 500GB NVMe
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2
Cooling
Bykski CPU-XPR-AM
Cooling
Phobya Balancer 150 Reservoir
Cooling
XSPC EX280 Radiator
Cooling
TC-A - CPU Liquid Cooling Pump
Cooling
XSPC EX360 Radiator
Case
Phanteks Pro M TG
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
MSI Optix AG32CQ
Keyboard
G710+
Mouse
G305
Mousepad
Vipamz Extended XXXL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 439
Audio
Asus U7
CPU
5960X
Motherboard
Asus X99
GPU
MSI R9 380 Gaming
RAM
V-Color Skywalker 16GB 2666MHz
Hard Drive
Kingston SSDNOW V300
Power Supply
EVGA 500 W1
Cooling
CoolerMaster 120MM AIO
Case
Fractal Design Define S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #33 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:39 AM
Vandelay Industries

Rep: 78 (Unique: 59)
Quote: Originally Posted by criminal View Post
Nvidia rumor = Fact
AMD Rumor = They didn't mean what they said.
It's more of a "Any PC company says something neutral, the community assumes either a positive or a negative and runs with it, then screams at the top of their lungs when their assumption is not accurate". Not to mention the whole red/green camp nonsense that infects rational.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Expert pin bender

Rep: 154 (Unique: 91)
I don't get the defense of AMD on this one. They have released RIS for polaris but not vega. They skipped vega that simple. Did they say why they did it that way? Is the debate over "sometime" vs "never"? Really?

What is the rumor here? AMD having a response or lack thereof?

GPU i currently own: 390x/FuryX/Vega FE/RX Vega 64/RX 580 - CPUs: 5960x/R7 1700/X5650x2/E5 2863/e5 2670/R5 3600
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Owner
post #35 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:11 PM
new to OCN?

Rep: 1542 (Unique: 926)
Quote: Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post
I don't get the defense of AMD on this one. They have released RIS for polaris but not vega. They skipped vega that simple. Did they say why they did it that way? Is the debate over "sometime" vs "never"? Really?

someone clearly said they werent going to release it at the moment which is the same as the article implies

Last edited by PontiacGTX; 09-20-2019 at 12:15 PM.
post #36 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:45 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 177 (Unique: 123)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
As of now Integer Scaling and Image Sharpening have a substantial lead.

I actually want to try Integer Scaling for modern games rendered at 4K and upscaled to 8K.
Of course Checkerboarding is far preferred as a near functional equivalent to higher resolutions at much greater efficiency than native rendering, but Integer Scaling could still let me use higher hardware pixel density to solve some of the issues with raw native 4K while maintaining sharpness, unlike most Anti-Aliasing methods used today.
The last two surveys they did integer scaling won both of them. Instead of adding the support or say they are working on it they now add it again on this 3rd survey. I don't understand the purpose of these surveys if they aren't going to add features users vote on in the first place.

Edit: Integer scaling has been on their survey for quite some time now: https://community.amd.com/thread/238377

Why can't they be more like Intel's graphics team who listen when consumers want something?

https://www.techpowerup.com/256801/i...raphics-lineup

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 09-20-2019 at 12:55 PM.
post #37 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:01 PM
new to OCN?

Rep: 1542 (Unique: 926)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
The last two surveys they did integer scaling won both of them. Instead of adding the support or say they are working on it they now add it again on this 3rd survey. I don't understand the purpose of these surveys if they aren't going to add features users vote on in the first place.

Edit: Integer scaling has been on their survey for quite some time now: https://community.amd.com/thread/238377

Why can't they be more like Intel's graphics team who listen when consumers want something?

https://www.techpowerup.com/256801/i...raphics-lineup
Intel and Nvidia, sometimes this makes me believe they brought up the lack of image sharpening on Vega to forget entirely of integer scaling, just releasing the (API ) RIS port for Vega and avoid to release integer scaling for longer
post #38 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)

It isn't a rumour.
Though AMD could kill your puppy and people here will try to defend AMD for doing it.

The fact that they decided to completely skip vega, and claim "we will listen" is basically their way of brushing it under the rug. If in a few months someone will ask them if they listened, they can just say "the community wasn't interested", and there you go, no need to to do. Problem solved.
As long as there is no backlash over it (because AMD fans will be willing to look the other way), they aren't going to do it.

post #39 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:07 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 894 (Unique: 503)

I honestly don't understand it either. This is 100% not a rumour and it defies all logic to consider it as such. The title of the article is accurate and so is its content and so is the original source PCGamesN, if we are to believe their direct quote from AMD's response (see below), which at this point we should, it's been 8 days, if it were false AMD would have said so already.

Quote:
“AMD will gauge end user reception and demand for Radeon Image Sharpening,” says AMD in response to our questions about future Vega support, “and will consider adding support for additional Radeon RX graphics cards in the future.”

Fact 1: AMD releases RIS for Navi. Ok, new lineup, new feature, maybe it will be backported to other archs, maybe it's technically possible (without a substantial performance hit, that is), maybe it's not, but for now, fine.

Fact 2: AMD decides to backport RIS to Polaris, leaving people who actually paid more money for their Vega 56, 64 and VII out in the cold. Paint AMD's inner wants and plans however you want to, but it's a fact. Maybe in the future there will be support, but the title of the article is quite accurate, Vega owners as of right now are left out in the cold, they can't use the feature that older arch Polaris users can.

post #40 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:01 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 31 (Unique: 27)
I think if AMD ever gets back into the consumer GPU market, it will be after PS5 is released. AMD currently has it's eggs in the next gen console basket and they probably have no reason to help the PC gaming market right now since they stand to gain from future console sales all the more if people are running out of good options for GPUs on PC.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in