[TechSpot] Slides reveal Intel's entire 10th-gen series: Up to 5.3 GHz and 10 cores - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[TechSpot] Slides reveal Intel's entire 10th-gen series: Up to 5.3 GHz and 10 cores

post #61 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 02:04 PM
Spaghetti

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
Quote: Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post
Navi does not need 4.0 x16, but, the fewer lanes you need for your GPU, the more lanes you can use for other things.
I’m also sick of hearing “But PCI-E 5.0 is coming in 2021, so why should I invest in a PCI-E 4.0 mobo!?”

That in and of itself is a good reason.

Let’s say in 2 years PCI-E 3.0 x16 is fully saturated by a hypothetical RTX 4080 and GPUs skip to PCI-E 5.0 x16.

My PCI-E 4.0 mobo will certainly not be bottlenecked as the card will run in PCI-E 4.0 mode

MARS
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G-Skill Sniper
Hard Drive
WD EMAZ001
Hard Drive
WD Black SN750
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
Noctua U12A
Case
NZXT H500
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10
Operating System
Pop! OS
Monitor
BenQ XL2730z
Keyboard
Aukey Mechanical
Mouse
Mionix Castor
Mousepad
Aukey
Audio
PreSonus Eris E3.5
Audio
SennHeiser 598
Audio
Blue Yeti
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 09:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
For most consumer use there is no difference between DDR3 and DDR4, even at high speeds. DDR5 will matter greatly to servers, database servers will benefit from the bandwidth. Power use has dropped with every iteration of RAM and while it doesn't sound like much (0.2W is nothing to a desktop machine) it matters enormously when you need thousands of RAM sticks, as even a slight reduction in power saves on cooling.

I'm sure you already know this, I am just stating the obvious.
For most consumers can be said about just about anything when it comes to computing. If you've got certain workloads that may be sensitive to speed and or speed and bandwidth, it does make sense to upgrade. But I'm already discussing a niche workset compared to the majority of consumers. You're on point with the DDR5 benefits for DC use, but people who do build out there own high performance computers for niche work they do will benefit to some extent from the RAM, presuming they're willing to shell out. Of course that's on the consumer side and suspect to those claiming the DDR5 for consumer side in 2021 won't be as bad as the DDR4 launch is highly doubtful. I prefer to lean on the side of skepticism rather than accepting a rumor.

Any idea on defect rates in terms of the increased complexity?

post #63 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 09:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post
They added 49 more pins for power and the socket shape went from square to rectangular. This is coffee lake + 2 more cores. It won't be good, but if it was priced aggressively (and it probably won't be) it would still be worth buying.
Did not know this. Can't tell from images alone and I haven't held parts in my hand to make out a difference in shape. Pricing would matter on a few things. Depends on Intel's per processor cost as a finished product per *pick a sum* of total defect free processors achieving those clocks stable and no bad cores, plus maintaining silicon integrity. They'd have to price it to cover R&D and other associated costs plus enough to pocket. I wouldn't expect the i9 to be any less than $550-600. Compared to AMD, their costs are higher per unit. AMD is slated to double their orders by second half 2020. And given the data they now have on how their processors fly off shelves, physical and digital, I suspect they'll go all out with orders. For all we know the 3950X that retails at $750 may cost AMD a tiny fraction to produce and cover costs. The rests being profit. The next quarterlies should see a healthy rise up. There's a fake CES flyer flying around that jots down the confirmed 3990X release for Q1 2020 and a still rumored 3980X for a Q2 release. Makes a lot of sense. AMD is working off of a waterfall process for chiplet binning at segmentation.

MSI dropped the ball in early November with one of their developers showing a Task Manager screenie of the 64 core processor which people wrote off. But there were rumors of a 64 core TR3 going back to mid-summer. I don't expect core increases for Ryzen 4000, but do for Ryzen 5000. If the rumors for Zen 3 hold up, we should see a massive improvement across the range. Who knows what Zen 4 and 5 will hold. All I know and all most know are that AMD has teams working in tandem on future processor architectures. Exciting times.

Intel may finally get 10nm rolling for desktop albeit in very small numbers in 2020. Provided they stay true to their word. If not, I'd be curious to see how much they can push their highly refined 14nm process. I'm more curious about silicon integrity at this point. 11th gen, according to what I've seen which hasn't been confirmed by Intel yet, IIRC, will get a core regression. No idea on 12th gen. Intel's recent slide on 10th gen has some interesting footnotes, which were posted in this thread, I believe. In any case, two years ago I had hopes on Intel delivering a solid product that wasn't power hungry and put a healthy lead a la 2006 to AMD's product. Guess not. I don't want to judge AMD under Dr. Su's guidance this time around, but I hope for AMD's sake she doesn't allow the company to become complacent and ride on their laurels like they did many years ago and got sideswiped by Intel.

Quote: Originally Posted by dubldwn View Post
109k is a $500 cpu. It will be very competitive with 3900x in everything but power. At $600 it doesn’t make sense, but with 11 skus $400 doesn’t make sense just from a product segmentation perspective, and I don’t believe that even includes Pentium and Celeron.
You have a lot of faith in that pricing. The 9900K is currently retailing for $494 on Amazon and NewEgg. I don't remember the MSRP for tray (1,000 units) Intel had set, but in November '18 it was retailing for between $540 and $580 depending on the day and retailer. The 9900KS had a customer recommended price of $513, but retailers sold these for more. You're effectively stating that a new 10 core (2 cores mores than 9th gen) with higher clocks, greater cache, etc. will cost $500 flat.

Last edited by SwitchFX; 01-02-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by SwitchFX View Post

You have a lot of faith in that pricing. The 9900K is currently retailing for $494 on Amazon and NewEgg. I don't remember the MSRP for tray (1,000 units) Intel had set, but in November '18 it was retailing for between $540 and $580 depending on the day and retailer. The 9900KS had a customer recommended price of $513, but retailers sold these for more. You're effectively stating that a new 10 core (2 cores mores than 9th gen) with higher clocks, greater cache, etc. will cost $500 flat.

If Zen 3 is smashing the 10900K like it shouldnt exist, rest assured it will drop below $500.

Dont underestimate Zen 3 since its 8CCX has a significant improved latency structure which will put a nail to Intel stronghold, aka gaming.

post #65 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 10:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by guttheslayer View Post
If Zen 3 is smashing the 10900K like it shouldnt exist, rest assured it will drop below $500.

Dont underestimate Zen 3 since its 8CCX has a significant improved latency structure which will put a nail to Intel stronghold, aka gaming.
I've known about the cache changes for a few months now. It's one of the many changes Zen 3 will have. Had you actually bothered to read any of my posts in this thread you wouldn't have had to include that, but thanks for wasting your time. Gaming is but one area where improved latencies should make it level or better than Intel. You're still presuming Intel will knock prices down. Intel merely cut prices for their HEDT. This isn't HEDT. It's an increase in cores to counter Ryzen 3000 on their mainstream line. Realistically, Intel has nothing on tap until 2022 at the earliest. Any 10nm part they deliver until then is going have performance regressions that negate any improvements 10nm makes over a highly refined 14nm process atop an architectural change. Presuming they can even get those 10nm parts to clock as high or close to. Intel isn't historically known to slash prices, even if they're getting spanked. Intel stood still with their prices even back in the P4 days when they were shipping fire breathing processors and getting smoked by AMD's offerings. If you truly believe it'll be well under $500, then Intel simply ought to slash prices on all their processors, including their Xeon behemoths because those get spanked by Epyc. The 3960X makes simple work out of the W3275X according to STH's latest article. That's a sub $1,000 processor making a joke out of a nearly $5,000 one. Yep, Intel's gonna slash that by 60%.

The cache change alone should help latency sensitive tasks to a certain extent. As for the FPU work... I've read a lot of rumors and I'm simply going to sitback and wait until we near the launch of the product when bench leaks show up. Though apparently es chips are doing really well, though I suspect those were referring to Epyc Milan, as I believe that's getting a hard launch around Q2-3.
. I'm keen to see what Zen3 uarchitecture will bring. The internet is teeming with rumors and if it holds up, TR4 performance should fly by TR3. .
If the rumors for Zen 3 hold up, we should see a massive improvement across the range. Who knows what Zen 4 and 5 will hold. All I know and all most know are that AMD has teams working in tandem on future processor architectures. Exciting times.

Last edited by SwitchFX; 01-03-2020 at 11:13 AM.
post #66 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 12:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 111)
Looking to get in to 240hz gaming and the old 3930k is not ideal for that.

I was going to grab a 9900KS but I'm second guessing it now. The single core boost clocks should translate to better all core (manual) OCs for 10th gen.

dust bucket
(14 items)
CPU
Intel i7 3930k 4.6 1.37v
Motherboard
Asus Rampage IV Ext.
GPU
EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Hybrid 2050/6147
RAM
Samsung 2133 9-10-10-28 1t
Hard Drive
3x Samsung Sata SSD
Power Supply
EVGA 1300G2
Cooling
EVGA CLC280 aio
Case
Fractal Arc Midi R2
Operating System
Win 10 stripped
Monitor
Benq XL2420T 120hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 / Cherry Reds
Mouse
Finalmouse Ultralight 2
Mousepad
Steelseries QCK+
Audio
Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Scorpion667; 01-15-2020 at 12:50 PM.
post #67 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:30 PM
5.3 Ghz 8 Core When

Rep: 95 (Unique: 68)
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post

I was going to grab a 9900KS but I'm second guessing it now. The single core boost clocks should translate to better all core (manual) OCs for 10th gen.
I'd be more concerned with the temps on these things. Stock may be the way to go with these so you at least get the 5.3 single core

DyerLIVE
(15 items)
CPU
i7 7820x 4.7 ghz, 3.0ghz mesh
Motherboard
X299 ASUS ROG Strix-E
GPU
1080 Ti
RAM
32gb 3800mhz 16-17-16-37-1T trfc 320 (Model F4-3600C16Q-32GTZKK)
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Intel 730 240GB
Hard Drive
Intel 530 240GB
Power Supply
EVGA 750w G2
Cooling
DeepCool Castle EX 360mm
Case
Fractal Meshify S2 White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
AOC G2460PF 24” 144hz
Keyboard
Logitech G610
Mouse
Logitech G203
Mousepad
Steel Series XXL
▲ hide details ▲
post #68 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post

I moved my 3800x system onto a family member and picked up a 9900KS + AIO in December for my high refresh gaming system

I don't think you'll have too many regrets with this chip, the gaming performance is ridiculous . I can push either 5.4ghz HT off or 5.2ghz with HT on - HT off for now seems to be the way to go with increased clock speed.

My minimum fps has increased by 20-40 fps over the 3800x depending on the title (older games benefiting the most)
post #69 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:27 PM
5.3 Ghz 8 Core When

Rep: 95 (Unique: 68)
Quote: Originally Posted by Unkzilla View Post
I moved my 3800x system onto a family member and picked up a 9900KS + AIO in December for my high refresh gaming system

I don't think you'll have too many regrets with this chip, the gaming performance is ridiculous . I can push either 5.4ghz HT off or 5.2ghz with HT on - HT off for now seems to be the way to go with increased clock speed.

My minimum fps has increased by 20-40 fps over the 3800x depending on the title (older games benefiting the most)
careful there. people are going to be demanding proof for those probably accurate numbers

DyerLIVE
(15 items)
CPU
i7 7820x 4.7 ghz, 3.0ghz mesh
Motherboard
X299 ASUS ROG Strix-E
GPU
1080 Ti
RAM
32gb 3800mhz 16-17-16-37-1T trfc 320 (Model F4-3600C16Q-32GTZKK)
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Intel 730 240GB
Hard Drive
Intel 530 240GB
Power Supply
EVGA 750w G2
Cooling
DeepCool Castle EX 360mm
Case
Fractal Meshify S2 White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
AOC G2460PF 24” 144hz
Keyboard
Logitech G610
Mouse
Logitech G203
Mousepad
Steel Series XXL
▲ hide details ▲
post #70 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by aDyerSituation View Post
careful there. people are going to be demanding proof for those probably accurate numbers
Haha. Almost 1000mhz more clock speed vs my overclocked 3800x and +25ns improvement on memory latency with the same kit , not too hard to imagine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in