[G3D] Intel Comet Lake-S CPUs and Z490 boards support PCI-E 4.0 (but it's not active) - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[G3D] Intel Comet Lake-S CPUs and Z490 boards support PCI-E 4.0 (but it's not active)

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:57 AM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 289 (Unique: 227)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
Isn't PCIE 5.0 still a good 3 or 4 years out on consumer level stuff?
Nope 1 to 2 years. Most likely will drop around the same time as DDR5. It took about 2 years for AMD to adopt PCIE 4.0. So it should take about that to adopt 5.0. So we will probably see it next year. Also USB 4.0 next year. Next year will be exciting.

Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ozlay; 01-22-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 12:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 176 (Unique: 130)
Quote: Originally Posted by ozlay View Post
Nope 1 to 2 years. Most likely will drop around the same time as DDR5. It took about 2 years for AMD to adopt PCIE 4.0. So it should take about that to adopt 5.0. So we will probably see it next year. Also USB 4.0 next year. Next year will be exciting.
Oh, nice. Might have to put off my upgrade plans another 6 months or so then.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Performance is the bible

Rep: 441 (Unique: 304)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
Isn't PCIE 5.0 still a good 3 or 4 years out on consumer level stuff?
PCIE 4.0 final specs came out 2 years before PCIE 5.0.
4.0 bring new things, like OCuLink-2, and of course the higher clocks. But PCIE 5.0 isn't bringing something new, but mostly the big different is compression and data transfer protocol. Meaning PCIE 4.0 is using a similar transfer protocol as 3.0, but with higher clocks. 5.0 brings better data transfer protocols which allow higher bandwidth on the same new higher clocks.
There are 6 differences between 4.0 and 5.0, and they are mostly in a few features that were developed just after pcie 4.0 was completed.

So, what it means is that a motherboard that support PCIE 4.0 could potentially support PCIE 5.0 with the right firmware. That is why it is expected to already be available on the servers side in 2021 (along with DDR5) and it was leaked that intel will release new chips that support them.
Once it is on the server side, and when 7nm becomes common, we might see 5.0 starting to make its way into high end desktops.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Getting a little tired of people saying/alluding to this so its time for a dose of reality. There is no way that PCI-E 5.0 is going to available anytime in the near future for the consumer. PCI-E 4.0 adds cost and complexity to a motherboard, etc and PCI-E 5.0 adds on top of that. Further the vast majority of consumers (including gamers) arent going to see the advantage of using a PCIE 4 system for some time (let alone a PCIE 5 system). I wouldnt be shocked if consumers were still running pcie 4.0 when the playstation 6 (yes 6) comes out.

AI, deep learning, crazy networking all see a benefit in switching to PCIE 5 for sure and they will when available but the consumer simply has no need for it for some time. Maybe HEDT systems will or they will simply have more PCIE 4 lanes

If im being short sighted ok i can except that. Give me a legitimate reason a consumer would need PCIE 5.0 anytime in the near future, and remember that im stressing consumer

Just because a newer faster spec is coming out soon doesnt mean it will be widely used. i mean PCIE 6.0 is being finalized in 2021 so i guess we should just wait huh?

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Specification
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 348 (Unique: 257)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigboy678 View Post
If im being short sighted ok i can except that. Give me a legitimate reason a consumer would need PCIE 5.0 anytime in the near future, and remember that im stressing consumer

Not only will PCIE 5 give SSDs room to grow, but it would also enable low-end, basic consumer SSDs to get away with using a single lane and still have adequate performance. This could enable CPUs to be made cheaper by reducing lane counts in the die.
PCIE 5 would also allow proper bandwidth to the chipset, which we have never had before.
Also when multi-GPU cuts the lane count in half to each slot we would have plenty of bandwidth system.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 05:13 AM
Expert pin bender

Rep: 166 (Unique: 96)
Seriously come on people stop defending Intel already. Isn't it ironic on the forum where "pursuit of performance" you can find excuses about a faster newer specification is "useless". I see countless posts lambasting stuff like qlc nand drives, or [email protected] in favor of faster options, but pcie 4 or 5 is useless. Using this equation then why bother with DRR5 or whatever else right? No, it's simple you folks want to defend your beloved Intel.

Also, enjoy the crow of "Intel is skipping 4.0 pcie because it's useless and they are going to magically jump to 5.0 real soon!!" For fracking sakes, they can't even do 4.0 pcie or thunderbolt 3 right.

GPU i currently own: R9 390/290x/290/390x/FuryX/Vega FE/RX Vega 64/ - CPUs: 5960x/R7 1700/X5650x2/E5 2863/e5 2670/R5 3600/FX 9590
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Owner
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 05:39 AM
Hey I get one of these!

Rep: 321 (Unique: 222)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigboy678 View Post
Getting a little tired of people saying/alluding to this so its time for a dose of reality. There is no way that PCI-E 5.0 is going to available anytime in the near future for the consumer. PCI-E 4.0 adds cost and complexity to a motherboard, etc and PCI-E 5.0 adds on top of that. Further the vast majority of consumers (including gamers) arent going to see the advantage of using a PCIE 4 system for some time (let alone a PCIE 5 system). I wouldnt be shocked if consumers were still running pcie 4.0 when the playstation 6 (yes 6) comes out.

AI, deep learning, crazy networking all see a benefit in switching to PCIE 5 for sure and they will when available but the consumer simply has no need for it for some time. Maybe HEDT systems will or they will simply have more PCIE 4 lanes

Just because a newer faster spec is coming out soon doesnt mean it will be widely used. i mean PCIE 6.0 is being finalized in 2021 so i guess we should just wait huh?

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Specification
Zen 4, aka Ryzen 5000, will get 5nm, PCI-e 5.0, DDR5, and USB4 support along with moving on from AM4 to a new socket. It is, based on previous Ryzen launch history, about 18 months away.

I dunno what you consider to be near future, but 1.5 release cycles away is pretty near in my eyes.

That being said, what will actually make use of 5.0 besides SSDs, AMD's chipset, and AMD's GPUs? Dunno. Probably nothing for a while, same as 4.0 is now.

Forge
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
AMD 5700XT PowerColor Devil
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo (2x16GB 3600Mhz/C16)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Corsair H150i
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-9
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 12:18 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 364 (Unique: 261)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Source

Seems like intel relay on motherboards manufacturers to allow PCIE 4.0. I wonder why. Did AMD demanded they do it, while intel didn't or found out post design and they don't have time to come back to fix it?
Looks like a big oversight in design process if this is true.
But it could also be that in the future with firmware updates, some could give PCIE 4.0 on intel as well.
AMD invested in development of PCIE4 for their platform and non AMD solution is the one delayed.
Intel coming late to the party trying to squeeze it in and failing on their own chipsets.

Yes higher bandwidth always requires higher quality, better tracing, better shielding, lower noise, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in