[VC] Ryzen 4000 Rumored on 5nm+ - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[VC] Ryzen 4000 Rumored on 5nm+

post #61 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 07:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by Slaughtahouse View Post
Nah - Lets keep the confusion coming.

In reality... they are committed to it as Zen signifies an architecture and Ryzen is just the series. I.E. Zen 1 is both Ryzen 1000 and Ryzen 2000 series. Zen 2 is Ryzen 3000 series and will be Ryzen 4000 (if 4 is refresh). Zen 3 will be Ryzen 5000.

THERE IS NO ESCAPE

Quote: Originally Posted by prznar1 View Post
Or maybe Zen3+, there is a high possibility of AMD making zen3+, maybe even for AM4 since they moved DDR5 and zen4 to 2022
Yeah, I don't believe the Warhol leak, saying 7nm Zen 3 next year. Remember, it is a 14-16 month cadence between chips. So a Q4 release means Zen 4 would already be Q1 to Q2 2022. If a refresh came in 2021, then that would likely push it to late 2022 to 2023.

So the refresh I'm highly doubting. If the rumor of 5nm is true, earliest for release is March to may next year for Zen 3.

Quote: Originally Posted by ozlay View Post
Not sure? But they already moved their other 14nm parts to 12nm like the 1600AF. So they might want to move the I/O die in Epyc an threadripper to 12nm. So Moving Ryzen 4000 to a smaller I/O die might happen.

But the I/O dies are made by Glofo and they don't really have anything smaller then 12nm. So maybe they wont make the I/O dies smaller. Unless they are made some place else.

Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
AMD still has a Wafer Supply Agreement with Global Foundries that runs through 2024.
There is something else they may be considering from GloFo: interposers. There is the rumor of that being used with Zen 4. It takes 32/22nm process or something like that for 2.5/3d stacking with their process. And they already do the i/o die there, which would be incorporated into an active interposer. So just a thought. One gen on 7nm for epyc, then interposer.

Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
AMD are using them for the entry level APUs, and could be some of the xbox/ps chips. Almost everything else they are making with TSMC.
No. They are using 7nm and I've seen nothing saying for sure the console APUs are more than one chip, which is how they did their APUs.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Desktop (Click to show)
Asus Maximus VIII Extreme, G.Skill 4133MHz - Running 3733MHz (MB limitation; I've had 4000, but...)@[email protected] 14-17-17-36-280 with Corsair CMXAF2 Ram fans, EVGA 980 Ti Classified (OC specs to come), [email protected]@1.42V everyday stable, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate AIO (push/pull 6xNoctua iPPC 3000), EVGA 1600 Ti PSU (for later SLI setups), Thermaltake X9 Cube, Intel 600P NVME
Laptop (Click to show)
P770ZM / Chi Mei 1080p 17.3" TN matte - OC to 100Hz / Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5GHz 1.130V Static / Nvidia Geforce 980M 8GB (current OC limit of 330MHZ Core/410MHZ VRam/ [email protected]) / Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR3 [email protected] CR-2T custom SPD / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2 / Intel Wifi Dual Band 7265ac+BT / Win 7 Pro x64 - custom by NTLite / 330W PSU/Prema BIOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 07:29 PM
Sexagenarian

Rep: 28 (Unique: 21)
This looks more and more bogus as time moves on .
very unlikely but still not totally impossible .
the rumour does appear to have gone dead though !
post #63 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 08:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by pony-tail View Post
This looks more and more bogus as time moves on .
very unlikely but still not totally impossible .
the rumour does appear to have gone dead though !
AMD has since come out saying Zen 3 will release this year. They said this when they said the GPU will drop before the consoles drop. So end of year we will see RDNA2 around September, the consoles drop for holiday buying, then the Zen 3 CPUs drop on 7nm. That means the rumors of already having the A0 stepping floating around were correct and they are close to final silicon for the ramp up (estimate ramp beginning 2-3 months before release). This is why a 12-15 month cadence is normal. At least 9 months from tape out to ready for ramp. Sometimes, you need a couple months of tweaking. Then you do the ramp. Intel used to stay on 12 months, then expanded closer to 15. AMD, since Zen has arrived, has consistently hit 14-16 month cadences, with Zen out in March and volume rest of the lineup in April, Zen+ in May and over the summer, Zen 2 in July and the larger chips out in October or November, and now Zen 3 out around October or November (I do not think they would wait for December as then you could drop at CES).

This means Zen 4 should arrive in December of 2021 or more likely Q1 of 2022, with CES announcement and release in February or March.

So that explains better why it went dead. AMD said otherwise on something that would contradict the potential release schedule (there is a reason I said if 5nm was used, it is a March to May 2021 release at earliest).

Desktop (Click to show)
Asus Maximus VIII Extreme, G.Skill 4133MHz - Running 3733MHz (MB limitation; I've had 4000, but...)@[email protected] 14-17-17-36-280 with Corsair CMXAF2 Ram fans, EVGA 980 Ti Classified (OC specs to come), [email protected]@1.42V everyday stable, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate AIO (push/pull 6xNoctua iPPC 3000), EVGA 1600 Ti PSU (for later SLI setups), Thermaltake X9 Cube, Intel 600P NVME
Laptop (Click to show)
P770ZM / Chi Mei 1080p 17.3" TN matte - OC to 100Hz / Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5GHz 1.130V Static / Nvidia Geforce 980M 8GB (current OC limit of 330MHZ Core/410MHZ VRam/ [email protected]) / Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR3 [email protected] CR-2T custom SPD / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2 / Intel Wifi Dual Band 7265ac+BT / Win 7 Pro x64 - custom by NTLite / 330W PSU/Prema BIOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 09:24 AM
Spaghetti

Rep: 43 (Unique: 35)
Quote: Originally Posted by ajc9988 View Post
AMD has since come out saying Zen 3 will release this year. They said this when they said the GPU will drop before the consoles drop. So end of year we will see RDNA2 around September, the consoles drop for holiday buying, then the Zen 3 CPUs drop on 7nm. That means the rumors of already having the A0 stepping floating around were correct and they are close to final silicon for the ramp up (estimate ramp beginning 2-3 months before release). This is why a 12-15 month cadence is normal. At least 9 months from tape out to ready for ramp. Sometimes, you need a couple months of tweaking. Then you do the ramp. Intel used to stay on 12 months, then expanded closer to 15. AMD, since Zen has arrived, has consistently hit 14-16 month cadences, with Zen out in March and volume rest of the lineup in April, Zen+ in May and over the summer, Zen 2 in July and the larger chips out in October or November, and now Zen 3 out around October or November (I do not think they would wait for December as then you could drop at CES).

This means Zen 4 should arrive in December of 2021 or more likely Q1 of 2022, with CES announcement and release in February or March.

So that explains better why it went dead. AMD said otherwise on something that would contradict the potential release schedule (there is a reason I said if 5nm was used, it is a March to May 2021 release at earliest).
We've also got some rumors saying AMD did infact pick up extra 5nm supply, but it looks like it'll most likely be for GPUs rather than CPUs

MARS
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G-Skill Sniper
Hard Drive
WD EMAZ001
Hard Drive
WD Black SN750
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
Noctua U12A
Case
NZXT H500
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10
Operating System
Pop! OS
Monitor
BenQ XL2730z
Keyboard
Aukey Mechanical
Mouse
Mionix Castor
Mousepad
Aukey
Audio
PreSonus Eris E3.5
Audio
SennHeiser 598
Audio
Blue Yeti
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in