[Hardware Leaks] Exclusive first look at Nvidia’s Ampere Gaming performance - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Hardware Leaks] Exclusive first look at Nvidia’s Ampere Gaming performance

post #11 of 200 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 05:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 11)
Doesn't matter if 10% faster or 70% faster.

Price is all that matters to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 200 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 05:29 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 197 (Unique: 133)
Quote: Originally Posted by keikei View Post
Looks to be the new Ti. 31% over FE does not a monster make.
Last time we had a die shrink the GTX 1080 was ~30% faster than the GTX 980 Ti.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 200 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 05:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
If this was 3080, its would amazing but Nvidia is not in that kind of business. I mean sure it can be 3080 that used to be a 2080 Ti in the past. It might cost between 700-1200.
I've been waiting for this topic to catch on.

It's not about NVIDIA being in any kind of business.

The best I can tell from leaks and industry sources:

1) NVIDIA was considering using Samsung as an industry partner for next-gen parts. They continued down this path until it became apparent that Samsung couldn't quite deliver what they were looking for.
2) While that was going on, AMD was in the process of rolling out multiple generations of GPUs on 7nm. At this point AMD has 7nm down to a science. (keep this in mind as we move forward).
3) NVIDIA finally decided, at minimum, to use TSMC 7nm for high end and possibly midrange parts. At this point they are behind schedule.
4) NVIDIA spends a ton of time and money porting their designs to TSMC 7nm. The results end up being somewhat underwhelming.

Yes, this is an engineering sample. Yes things could get better before launch. However, unless someone was testing a really OLD engineering sample, this is close to being representative of the final product. I've been predicting the top TI card to be 30% faster than the 2080ti, and thus far my predictions are looking like they are going to be pretty spot on TBH.

The reason I bring up AMD is that I know for a fact they've been able to hit 2.5 GHz boost clocks on an RDNA 2 part. I've also heard from a third party they may even be at 2.66 or 2.8 GHz for some of their silicon. A lot of this boils down to new power management features and to a lesser extent, other architectural improvements.

What I'm getting at is that NVIDIA slipped this gen. We'll see if they are able to recover, but it looks like AMD might be the one with the faster part this time around. That hasn't happened in a few years now, so it'll be nice.

One other juicy tidbit I hesitated bringing up: AMD apparently is working very hard at optimizing power consumption, including the ability to shut down multiple CUs and boost the remaining CUs to much higher clocks. Based on this information, 3 GHz+ or even 4 GHz+ from future GPUs (not Navi2X, however) are not out of the question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 200 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 06:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
Doesn't matter if 10% faster or 70% faster.

Price is all that matters to me.
From what I understand, the top end 'ti' card is going to drop to $999 and some of the other cards are going to have minor changes in price, but don't expect much movement for most tiers unless AMD puts pricing pressure on NVIDIA. However, it should be noted that AMD isn't looking to sacrifice margins here. If they can deliver a faster product for a tad bit less money, they will, but don't expect substantial discounts from them either.
post #15 of 200 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 06:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

One other thought I had:

From what I gather with the way AMD's ray tracing is set up, they have to go "wide" (more CUs and supporting silicon) to get more RT performance, so we may see wider, but slower (clock speed wise) GPUs at the top end. Indeed, the Xbox One vs. PS5 specs appear to confirm this: The Xbox One has a wider design, while the PS5 has a narrower design, but with higher clock speeds. For NVIDIA, the general consensus is that NVIDIA is focusing on RT performance for next-gen, and not so much general gaming performance. It occurred to me when typing up my last post that these GPUs could very well have a ton of new RT silicon, and could end up being significantly faster than the 2xxx series in that respect.
post #16 of 200 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 06:15 PM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1806 (Unique: 1179)
Quote: Originally Posted by betam4x View Post

1) NVIDIA was considering using Samsung as an industry partner for next-gen parts. They continued down this path until it became apparent that Samsung couldn't quite deliver what they were looking for.
2) While that was going on, AMD was in the process of rolling out multiple generations of GPUs on 7nm. At this point AMD has 7nm down to a science. (keep this in mind as we move forward).
3) NVIDIA finally decided, at minimum, to use TSMC 7nm for high end and possibly midrange parts. At this point they are behind schedule.
4) NVIDIA spends a ton of time and money porting their designs to TSMC 7nm. The results end up being somewhat underwhelming.

Yes, this is an engineering sample. Yes things could get better before launch. However, unless someone was testing a really OLD engineering sample, this is close to being representative of the final product. I've been predicting the top TI card to be 30% faster than the 2080ti, and thus far my predictions are looking like they are going to be pretty spot on TBH.

The reason I bring up AMD is that I know for a fact they've been able to hit 2.5 GHz boost clocks on an RDNA 2 part. I've also heard from a third party they may even be at 2.66 or 2.8 GHz for some of their silicon. A lot of this boils down to new power management features and to a lesser extent, other architectural improvements.

What I'm getting at is that NVIDIA slipped this gen. We'll see if they are able to recover, but it looks like AMD might be the one with the faster part this time around. That hasn't happened in a few years now, so it'll be nice.

One other juicy tidbit I hesitated bringing up: AMD apparently is working very hard at optimizing power consumption, including the ability to shut down multiple CUs and boost the remaining CUs to much higher clocks. Based on this information, 3 GHz+ or even 4 GHz+ from future GPUs (not Navi2X, however) are not out of the question.

I think Nvidia is using Samsung 8nm and only TSMC for A100. We will have to see. I think its quite impossible to switch noted that fast. Last time TSMC/Nvidia has delayed was Fermi which came 6 months after AMD and was not refined. I dont think Ampare was delayed much unless the original launch was for Q1 2020 and moved to Q3-Q4. If original launch was Q2-Q3 then a delay means no GPU from Nvidia in 2020.

Yamato
(10 items)
Ishimura
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
GPU
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Gamdias Chione M1A-280R
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
▲ hide details ▲

post #17 of 200 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 06:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 440 (Unique: 294)
Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
I think Nvidia is using Samsung 8nm and only TSMC for A100. We will have to see. I think its quite impossible to switch noted that fast. Last time TSMC/Nvidia has delayed was Fermi which came 6 months after AMD and was not refined. I dont think Ampare was delayed much unless the original launch was for Q1 2020 and moved to Q3-Q4. If original launch was Q2-Q3 then a delay means no GPU from Nvidia in 2020.

Is that when Nvidia was blaming TSMC for the barn fire Fermi?

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

post #18 of 200 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 06:29 PM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1806 (Unique: 1179)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
Is that when Nvidia was blaming TSMC for the barn fire Fermi?
Yeah. I think also with 20nm, They had to backport to 28nm (Maxwell).

Yamato
(10 items)
Ishimura
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
GPU
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Gamdias Chione M1A-280R
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
▲ hide details ▲

post #19 of 200 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 32)

GA 100 was TSMC it doesn't look like that was underwhelming or had low clock speed issues. So this could very well be a card that is clocked lower for testing purposes. hard to conjecture everything you're saying especially without any evidence to back it up.

CPU
(4 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
GPU
RTX 2080Ti
RAM
16GB DDR4
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 200 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 01:02 AM
WaterCooler

Rep: 75 (Unique: 68)
From what I understand, the top end 'ti' card is going to drop to $999
If you rewatch the Turing announcement video, $999 was the starting price of the 2080 Ti too. I don't know about anyone else here, but I've never seen one below $1100.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Deus Ex (2015-)
(21 items)
CPU
[Intel] Core i7-4790k
Motherboard
[ASUS] Z97-DELUXE
GPU
[ASUS] GTX 980 Strix
RAM
[Corsair] Vengance Pro Series 16GB DDR3-2400
Hard Drive
[Crucial] M550 512GB
Hard Drive
[WD] Black 3TB x 2
Power Supply
[Corsair] AX750
Cooling
[EK] Supremacy EVO - Gold
Cooling
[EK] GTX 980 Strix - Fullcover w/ Backplate
Cooling
[EK] D5 X-RES Top 100 w/ D5 Vario
Cooling
[Monsoon] 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Compressions - Gold
Cooling
[XSPC] EX240 x 2
Cooling
[Corsair] SP120 x 5 / AF120 x 1
Case
[Corsair] Carbide Air 540
Operating System
[Windows] 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
[LG] 32GK650F-B
Keyboard
[Corsair] K70 - Red switches
Mouse
[Razer] Naga Epic
Audio
[Audio Technica] ATH-A700
Audio
[Antlion] ModMic
Other
[Lamptron] FC5-V2
CPU
[Intel] Core i7-960
Motherboard
[ASUS] Rampage III Formula
GPU
[EVGA] GTX 670 FTW 2GB
RAM
[Corsair] Dominator-GT 6GB DDR3-1866
Hard Drive
[Crucial] M4 128GB
Hard Drive
[Samsung] Spinpoint F3 1TB x2
Hard Drive
[WD] Caviar Black 750GB
Power Supply
[Corsair] AX850
Cooling
[XSPC] Raystorm
Cooling
[XSPC] EX360 and EX240
Cooling
[Scythe] Gentle Typhoon AP-15 x 5
Cooling
[EVGA] GTX 680 Hydro Copper w/ Backplate
Cooling
[XSPC] Dual-bay Res w/ [Swiftech] MCP655
Cooling
[Bitfenix] Spectre Pro Red LED - 140mm x 4
Case
[NZXT] Switch 810 Matte Black
Operating System
[Windows] 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Monitor
[BenQ] XL2420TX
Keyboard
[Saitek] Cyborg V.5 Red LED
Mouse
[Razer] Naga Epic Red LED
Audio
[Audio Technica] ATH-A700
Audio
[ASUS] Xonar Essence STX
Other
[Lamptron] FC5-V2
CPU
[Intel] Core M-5Y10
GPU
[Intel] HD Graphics 5300
RAM
[Generic?] 8 GB DDR3
Hard Drive
[Generic?] 256GB SSD
Operating System
[Microsoft] Windows 10
Monitor
1920 x 1080
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in