[HEXUS] Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[HEXUS] Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 01:41 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
matthew87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 353
Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
And pigs might fly

Apple couldn't justify the R&D expense in trying to compete with AMD, NVidia or Intel in the high performance GPU or CPU market.

There's very few 'professionals' left on Mac OSX, most have moved to either Linux or Windows. Thus why Apple didn't refresh their Mac Pro for how many years, was it 5?. Sell 'pro' laptops that are so thermally limited it's pointless paring them with mobile i7s or i9s, and made Mac Pros like the Rubbish Can. So too why they don't offer 24/7 or next business day on site warranties on their computers like Dell or HP. Because their core market for their computers for nigh on a decade has been consumers who use their devices for nothing more than home/office productivity.

This isn't the 1980s or Mid 00s anymore, the market that cares about high end or powered Macs is so small Apple don't even care for them and haven't for years.


matthew87 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:12 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
aayman_farzand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 638
Rep: 12 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
I'm not trying to twist your words...

Who is to say Apple doesn't make a GPU that can scale up to desktop application? It may seem unlikely, but only Apple knows exactly what that will look like for now. For all we know they may release a console with a powerful GPU that competes with PS5 in the future.
Or the Nintendo Switch, that might be achievable soon.
aayman_farzand is offline  
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:46 AM
Performance is the bible
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,990
Rep: 441 (Unique: 304)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
I'm not trying to twist your words...

Who is to say Apple doesn't make a GPU that can scale up to desktop application? It may seem unlikely, but only Apple knows exactly what that will look like for now. For all we know they may release a console with a powerful GPU that competes with PS5 in the future.
Even if by some miracle it can scale, it won't be inside the laptops. Maybe in the imac but not in the mobile systems.
There is no magic inside apple that can create a 200W gpu performance (like the PS5) inside a 50W envelope even with 5nm manufacturing with mobile GPU knowledge they are mostly licensing.
That is just dream land talk.


Defoler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 07:55 AM
sudo apt install sl
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,018
Rep: 197 (Unique: 133)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Even if by some miracle it can scale, it won't be inside the laptops. Maybe in the imac but not in the mobile systems.
There is no magic inside apple that can create a 200W gpu performance (like the PS5) inside a 50W envelope even with 5nm manufacturing with mobile GPU knowledge they are mostly licensing.
That is just dream land talk.
It's called software and after reading up some more a ton of content creators are happy using LumaFusion.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lumafusion/id1062022008


Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
WannaBeOCer is offline  
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 05:12 PM
Indentified! On the Way!!
 
LancerVI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,692
Rep: 155 (Unique: 116)
I feel wrong being in this thread. I hate Apple with the radiant passion of 1000 suns. Never liked their closed approach to anything. Last Apple I ever owned was an Apple II gs.

Having said that, I completely support and look forward to seeing what Apple does here. X86 has served us well, but I can't help but feel it has been an albatross to progress. Killing off x86 probably won't happen for another 100 years at the rate we're going and as much as I love x86 having been around for 8086, I just want to see something "new".

Maybe I'm way off base, but isn't it time we start looking to revolutionize CPUs? Try something different? I just hope it works out different than the 68k motorola days. Would love to see a new Amiga 500 or Apple whatever.


Ahhhck......don't mind me. I'm talking out my backside! I miss the late 80s and I'm getting old.
LancerVI is offline  
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 05:23 PM
sudo apt install sl
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,018
Rep: 197 (Unique: 133)
Quote: Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post
I feel wrong being in this thread. I hate Apple with the radiant passion of 1000 suns. Never liked their closed approach to anything. Last Apple I ever owned was an Apple II gs.

Having said that, I completely support and look forward to seeing what Apple does here. X86 has served us well, but I can't help but feel it has been an albatross to progress. Killing off x86 probably won't happen for another 100 years at the rate we're going and as much as I love x86 having been around for 8086, I just want to see something "new".

Maybe I'm way off base, but isn't it time we start looking to revolutionize CPUs? Try something different? I just hope it works out different than the 68k motorola days. Would love to see a new Amiga 500 or Apple whatever.


Ahhhck......don't mind me. I'm talking out my backside! I miss the late 80s and I'm getting old.
X86 would of died but you can thank AMD and Microsoft for keeping it alive.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
WannaBeOCer is offline  
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 05:37 PM
Indentified! On the Way!!
 
LancerVI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,692
Rep: 155 (Unique: 116)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
X86 would of died but you can thank AMD and Microsoft for keeping it alive.
You're not wrong, but isn't it more big business refusing to relinquish their old processes and software. The current state is all because of backward compatibility.

I'm the biggest "capitalist pig" around, but even I can see that big, mainstay organizations will resist anything that requires them to revamp their processes from the ground up. I figured virtualization would have fixed this problem by now.
LancerVI is offline  
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 05:51 PM
sudo apt install sl
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,018
Rep: 197 (Unique: 133)
Quote: Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post
You're not wrong, but isn't it more big business refusing to relinquish their old processes and software. The current state is all because of backward compatibility.

I'm the biggest "capitalist pig" around, but even I can see that big, mainstay organizations will resist anything that requires them to revamp their processes from the ground up. I figured virtualization would have fixed this problem by now.
Exactly it's due to backwards compatibility, if they weren't provided a solution by one of the chip makers we wouldn't still be using x86. From a software perspective it seems as though Apple is leading the innovation while others are copying with getting rid of legacy software.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
WannaBeOCer is offline  
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 12:17 AM
Performance is the bible
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,990
Rep: 441 (Unique: 304)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
It's called software and after reading up some more a ton of content creators are happy using LumaFusion.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lumafusion/id1062022008

https://youtu.be/lKqUggbSlHw
Right. So everyone ditch their adobe, autodesk etc software, for lumafusion, because that software can replace everything, and a sponsored ad video by linus said we should.
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote: Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post
Never liked their closed approach to anything
I don't get it. Who had any "open" approach to anything beside linux systems?
Microsoft? No, closed. Intel? No, closed. AMD? No, closed. IBM? No, closed. Google? Well open but not exactly 80s.
And you could theoretically do anything you want with an apple os (including the big hackintosh community).



Last edited by Defoler; 07-10-2020 at 12:22 AM.
Defoler is offline  
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 12:32 AM
sudo apt install sl
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,018
Rep: 197 (Unique: 133)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Right. So everyone ditch their adobe, autodesk etc software, for lumafusion, because that software can replace everything, and a sponsored ad video by linus said we should.
Thanks for the clarification.
Clearly that was an example of one of many apps that run very well already on ARM. Not all content creators want to be stuck by their desk. AutoDesk Maya also looked like it ran very smoothly.

They can perform their edits and model their creations while on the go. When they get back to their desktops they can start rendering/export their masterpieces.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
WannaBeOCer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off