[WCCF] RTX 3080 Timespy Extreme is alleged to be 35% above 2080 Ti - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[WCCF] RTX 3080 Timespy Extreme is alleged to be 35% above 2080 Ti

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 157 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 04:29 PM
sudo apt install sl
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,994
Rep: 196 (Unique: 132)
Quote: Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
It's real funny isn't it? An entire data base of results proving you wrong. I want your tears fresh. If I see salt sentiment at the bottom of my flask I'm sending it back. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
I love your new trolling attitude on these forums. Makes it lively again.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
WannaBeOCer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 157 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 04:31 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
reflex75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 186
Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by reflex75 View Post
If power consumption increases as much as perf, then it's not really improving overall.
Should compare 2080ti vs 3080ti both at the same 250w TDP to check the real progress...
I disagree, if we are evaluating the technology you are correct but if we are evaluating the GPU I don't care how much power it uses (assuming I can still cool it with a water block). Even if we have no gain in efficiency I would still want a GPU that could do 2x what my 2080 Ti can. I have a 4K120Hz display and I want to be able to drive it with one GPU.
Childish brute force thinking...
You can already reach that level of performance with 2080ti by using massive cooling if you don't care about efficiency.
And in few generations we will use power plant for a single gpu to still improve performance...
reflex75 is offline  
post #23 of 157 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 04:41 PM
sudo apt install sl
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,994
Rep: 196 (Unique: 132)
Quote: Originally Posted by reflex75 View Post
Because 400w is not enough for A100 SXM4 and limits its boost frequency at only 1410Mhz.
Again the PCIe version is rated at 250w and the card has 6912 CUDA cores. We won't have that many CUDA cores. We never had a Ti card that had a power target more than 250w.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RE Ti - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Solus Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
WannaBeOCer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 157 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 04:42 PM
Retired Staff
 
JedixJarf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Coruscant
Posts: 9,480
Rep: 307 (Unique: 246)
Quote: Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
That's against a stock OEM 2080ti. When you factor in OC'd cards like the Kingpinm etc. The difference can dwindle down to 20% - 0%.

https://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-...sion+1.0/1+gpu
The reason that argument sucks is because you can OC the the 3080ti too (presumably).


JedixJarf is offline  
post #25 of 157 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 04:47 PM
Overclocker
 
EastCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,585
Rep: 157 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
The reason that argument sucks is because you can OC the the 3080ti too (presumably).
The OC is always presented in the review so that's moot. It's up to the reviewer to expound on it. And, the results as a whole have always omitted their best OC'd card from the previous gen. Not just the OEM card. Thus making the percentage much larger then it really is.

Would you expect everyone with a 2080ti to have just a OEM? Of course not. So those cards, even if WC, should be factored in. If you really want to know if a 3080 is better then a 2080ti one would want to know what the percentage is based on more then just the OEM cards out there. It's a valid argument.

Now if you read the link in the OP it mirrors what I'm saying. In part it says...
Quote:
When compared to the Turing cards, the GeForce RTX 3080 looks to be around 35% faster than a stock GeForce RTX 2080 Ti which would make it the biggest performance jump over the previous generation Ti offering. We also compared the score to my heavily overclocked RTX 2080 Ti graphics card (Lightning Z) and found the difference to end up around 12%.
Were I stated in an earlier post a difference between 20%-0%. Which I stand by (depending on OC card used).

Last edited by EastCoast; 08-01-2020 at 04:54 PM.
EastCoast is offline  
post #26 of 157 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 05:41 PM
Robotic Chemist
 
Asmodian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 2,876
Rep: 202 (Unique: 134)
Quote: Originally Posted by reflex75 View Post
You can already reach that level of performance with 2080ti by using massive cooling if you don't care about efficiency.
No I cannot. I have shunt modded my GPU and use 12x140mm worth of radiator. If the technology cannot do it without brute force yet I will take brute force. In the end it is the performance that matters to me, a more efficient GPU is better but only if it is at least the same speed. I do not want power limits to hold back performance.

I understand I am not everyone but I am not sure how it is childish.

Quote: Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
Would you expect everyone with a 2080ti to have just a OEM? Of course not. So those cards, even if WC, should be factored in. If you really want to know if a 3080 is better then a 2080ti one would want to know what the percentage is based on more then just the OEM cards out there. It's a valid argument.
I guess I can see comparing the scores from an early/stock 3080 to a max OC 2080 Ti under water but you are using the scores from cards running under N2 or dry ice. Your point seems to be that a 3080 is 0% faster than a max OC 2080 Ti under N2, but you conveniently don't mention the exotic cooling, which changes how impressive that statement sounds fairly significantly.

A 3080 matching a 2080 Ti under N2 sounds pretty good instead of diminishing the improvement so you leave that part out, because spin is always the name of the game for you.

"Soldering resistors onto your video card to bypass the manufacturers over current protection kind-of sort-of absolute-definitely voids your warranty"
Desktop
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU
Nvidia 2080 Ti
RAM
32GB DDR4 3600
Hard Drive
Intel 900P
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
Seasonic 1200W
Cooling
EK Velocity + EK GPU Block
Case
Old Marble Slab
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG C9 55"
Keyboard
Wooting two
Mouse
Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Mousepad
Logitech G PowerPlay
Audio
Arctis Pro Wireless
Other
Mellanox 40GbE
▲ hide details ▲


Asmodian is online now  
post #27 of 157 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 05:48 PM
Spaghetti
 
Buris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,120
Rep: 43 (Unique: 35)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Why do you think the power target is higher than 250w? A 6912 core A100 uses 250w, we're definitely not getting that many CUDA cores.
1. The A100 runs at a pretty low clock, which isn't great for most games.

2. The A100 is the only Ampere GPU that's confirmed to be on TSMC's 7nm, the rest will supposedly be on Samsungs 8nm, which is significantly less efficient (only +10/15% Perf/W over TSMC's 12nm)

MARS
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G-Skill Sniper
Hard Drive
WD EMAZ001
Hard Drive
WD Black SN750
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
Noctua U12A
Case
NZXT H500
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10
Operating System
Pop! OS
Monitor
BenQ XL2730z
Keyboard
Aukey Mechanical
Mouse
Mionix Castor
Mousepad
Aukey
Audio
PreSonus Eris E3.5
Audio
SennHeiser 598
Audio
Blue Yeti
▲ hide details ▲
Buris is offline  
post #28 of 157 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Facepalm
 
Falkentyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Riverside
Posts: 8,076
Rep: 463 (Unique: 321)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No I cannot. I have shunt modded my GPU and use 12x140mm worth of radiator. If the technology cannot do it without brute force yet I will take brute force. In the end it is the performance that matters to me, a more efficient GPU is better but only if it is at least the same speed. I do not want power limits to hold back performance.

I understand I am not everyone but I am not sure how it is childish.



I guess I can see comparing the scores from an early/stock 3080 to a max OC 2080 Ti under water but you are using the scores from cards running under N2 or dry ice. Your point seems to be that a 3080 is 0% faster than a max OC 2080 Ti under N2, but you conveniently don't mention the exotic cooling, which changes how impressive that statement sounds fairly significantly.

A 3080 matching a 2080 Ti under N2 sounds pretty good instead of diminishing the improvement so you leave that part out, because spin is always the name of the game for you.
This guy speaks the complete truth.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
Falkentyne is offline  
post #29 of 157 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 06:11 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
wingman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,683
Rep: 63 (Unique: 46)
From what I see with exotic cooling and overclock folks only gain 1-3% performance improvement in benchmarks.

i5 8600K @ 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB DDR4 XMP 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel G-Sync compatible
wingman99 is offline  
post #30 of 157 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 06:31 PM
Overclocker
 
EastCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,585
Rep: 157 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I guess I can see comparing the scores from an early/stock 3080 to a max OC 2080 Ti under water but you are using the scores from cards running under N2 or dry ice.
Oh, you've shown me the light, hellelujah. Because the only way to get no temps in your score is to only use LN2.
But that's your narrative isn't it, the pic. It's the only result ever. It's the only result that 3Dmark has. It's the only result that matters. Because if I don't baby you into showing you the data base in my proir post all the scores then must be LN2 it is. Perhaps they used N2 as later noted in your post, lol.



Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Your point seems to be that a 3080 is 0% faster than a max OC 2080 Ti under N2, but you conveniently don't mention the exotic cooling, which changes how impressive that statement sounds fairly significantly.
No, if you read my post I said that it could be between 20-0%. But I get it, your panties are in a bunch on something you've deemed negative about nvidia. Not surprised in the slightest though. Grow some thicker skin.

Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
A 3080 matching a 2080 Ti under N2 (??) sounds pretty good instead of diminishing the improvement so you leave that part out, because spin is always the name of the game for you.
As you've already seen, you don't need LN2. But nice attempt to pivot to change the narrative of the conversation. But I'm going to steer it back. And I want you to grab your jimmies because they might cause chaffing.


Now, if the performance is so good with 3080/3080ti why do they need to incorporate DLSS (rumored) to further improve performance? Anyone with a 2080ti can load up BF5 and see that unless they use 4k DLSS is disabled. The point being, drum roll....wait for effect...I'll get there soon enough...this is getting arkward...those results could have been provided using DLSS 3.0. Which means that it's brute force performance is much lower.

No you say? Put down the hand bag. And lets take a trip down memory lane and follow the yellow brick road. No, we aren't going to see the wizard. Just 3dMark Vantage were they allowed GPU Physx into the benchmark to boost hall of fame scores. Where you going? Ah, I see you remember. Carry on...



Oh my, it's like a watching old betties duke it out with hand purses. Arguing that Anacin is better then Bayer. Either or should help your "spinning" problem.

Last edited by EastCoast; 08-01-2020 at 06:41 PM.
EastCoast is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off