[Official] Google Nexus 7 Owners Club - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Google Nexus 7 Owners Club

post #1 of 2572 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 550 (Unique: 398)
*Welcome to the Official GOOGLE Nexus 7 Owners Club*

Full Page Spreadsheet >> here

Welcome to the Official Google Nexus 7 Owners Club! This club is intended to allow google nexus 7 owners to share tips and information regarding the new Nexus 7 tablet and also any general discussions about the nexus 7 is welcome too!

***If you wish to join the club please use the above link named "SIGNUP LINK" which is above the members table. If you want to add pictures of your Nexus 7 to the club, please post them in here and I will add them to the first post.***

Thanks folks for reading, and thank you to all members who have joined the club!

Nexus 7 Owners Club Pictures

$ilent (Click to show)
theturbofd (Click to show)
rui-no-onna (Click to show)
Faraz (Click to show)

TLCH723 (Click to show)
Cakewalk_S (Click to show)
Dopamin3 (Click to show)
vitality (Click to show)
crashdummy35 (Click to show)
lilraver018 (Click to show)
mtbiker033 (Click to show)
markp1989 (Click to show)
exzacklyright (Click to show)
CpHaAiOnS (Click to show)
Yellowsamuel (Click to show)
yakuzapuppy (Click to show)
ElementR (Click to show)
Addictedtokaos (Click to show)
Philistine (Click to show)
PinkPenguin (Click to show)
rrims (Click to show)
jammo2k5 (Click to show)
kpreet1996 (Click to show)
Fasista (Click to show)
black7hought (Click to show)
ApollyonXD (Click to show)
zinfinion (Click to show)
Pyro Gurl (Click to show)
kga92 (Click to show)

andyroo89 (Click to show)
tonybyatt (Click to show)
Bonkers (Click to show)
smoke420 (Click to show)
koulaid (Click to show)
tokkan (Click to show)
Jhurst747 (Click to show)
MoonRunes (Click to show)
TheDon83 (Click to show)
BillOhio (Click to show)
douzy (Click to show)
axipher (Click to show)
royalflush5 (Click to show)
K4IKEN (Click to show)

Matt-Matt (Click to show)
Seredin (Click to show)
Phillychuck (Click to show)
Buzzin92 (Click to show)

dharmaBum (Click to show)

Ardalista (Click to show)
sherlock (Click to show)
roflcopter159 (Click to show)
Doug B (Click to show)
Tohru Rokuno (Click to show)
xr1st1anos (Click to show)
goodwidp (Click to show)
Gogreen901 (Click to show)

Useful Stuff

Nexus 7 SPECIFICATIONS (Click to show)
FEATURES GALLERY TECH SPECS

SCREEN
7” 1280x800 HD display (216 ppi)
Back-lit IPS display
Scratch-resistant Corning glass

CAMERA
1.2MP front-facing camera

WEIGHT
340 grams

MEMORY
8, 16, 32 GB internal storage
1 GB RAM

BATTERY
4325 mAh
9 hours of HD video playback
10 hours of web browsing
10 hours of e-reading
300 hours of standby

CPU
Quad-core Tegra 3 processor

SIZE
198.5 x 120 x 10.45mm

WIRELESS
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth

NETWORK (32GB HSPA+ version only)
Unlocked GSM/UMTS/HSPA+
GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
3G (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)
HSPA+ 21

USB
Micro USB

OS
Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)

SENSORS
Microphone
NFC (Android Beam)
Accelerometer
GPS
Magnetometer
Gyroscope
Nexus 7 GALLERY (Click to show)
Nexus 7 REVIEWS (Click to show) Nexus 7 PROBLEMS (Click to show)
  • Raised Glass - Several people have reported an issue with the Nexus 7 left hand side; apparently the glass sometimes appeared raised on one side. A thread on xda forums features a possible solution here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1781237
  • Dead Pixels.
  • Malfunctioning screen brightness/contrast. Screen for no apparent reason appears washed out, or as if the brightness/contrast is set too high. This happened to me out of the blue after pressing standby button one afternoon and does not fix after manually changing display settings or after system restart.
Nexus 7 SUPPORT (Click to show) Nexus 7 TWEAKS (Click to show) Nexus 7 COMPLETE UNIT TEARDOWN (Useful especially if attempting to repair raised screen issue above!) (Click to show) Nexus 7 USB OTG CABLE/USB FLASH DRIVE WITHOUT ROOT (Click to show)
This is a handy app that lets you use an USB OTG cable and a USB flash drive or a USB card reader and an SD card to use on your Nexus 7 to allow you to use more than 16GB worth of data without having to root the device. One reviewer commented that the app works using a QQ-Tech® Micro B USB Host Mode Cable (OTG Cable) bought from Amazon for 0.98 cents. They also noted that the SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB Flash Drive and the Kingston Data Traveler G3 32gb USB Flash Drive have both been tested to work with this app on the Nexus 7. Other USB drives may work with this app but it is unknown which specific models.

Please take this advice with a pinch of salt, it may or may not be 100% accurate and you may need to buy the app and test out your products to find out if it is going to work, but this is a nice alternative for those who do not want to root thier N7.

Thanks to Addictedtokaos for the heads up!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer

Sig Link:
Code:
[CENTER][SIZE=3][B][I][URL=https://www.overclock.net/t/1283105/google-nexus-7-owners-club]***The Google Nexus 7 Owners Club***[/URL][/I][/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]

First Thoughts

OK when this thing first arrived it was packaged in typical cardboard box with the rest of the volume packed with air cushion packing. The Nexus 7 box itself is small, just a little larger than the device itself. The box contains the Nexus 7, USB cable, Wall charger, manual/quick guide. The USB cable plugs straight into the wall charger, so it can be used to connect to PC also. The Nexus 7 also has the same size connector as the Samsung Galaxy S2, so you can use either cable to charge this up.

Upon opening the Nexus 7 the tablet is enclosed in plastic wrapper, I opted to keep this wrapping on as you can probably tell from my pictures, until my cover arrives. Weight of the Nexus 7 is good as 340g, its light enough to sit and read or play games with one hand. Upon turning the device on, you are asked to connect to your wifi. After doing this the device asks if you wish to synchronize with your Google accounts.

The build quality of the Nexus 7 is very positive, it doesnt feel like something that cost £160, it feels more expensive. The layout of the buttons could be better; I often find myself pressing the standbye button instead of volume increase button.

Speed - The Nexus 7 is quick to load web pages and apps open pretty much instantly. browsing through pages is also quick and easy. After using the ipad, I would say the Nexus 7 is probably just as quick if not faster when browsing through menus.

Ease of Use - I like the fact that when your browsing the internet, you can click in the general location of a button or link you want to go to and then you are presented with a large zoomed in version of the area you are clicking at, very useful. Typing on the Nexus 7 is also relatively painless.

Free Content - Transformers: Dark of the Moon movie and "Only time will tell by Jeffrey Archer". Both nice touches that are bundled free with the Nexus 7. You also get £15 free credit to spend on google play.

Dislikes

Shortage of Space - No SD card slot included on the Nexus 7, and useable space of around 5.4GB on a 8GB Nexus, not the best.

Screen tilt - This is something that is quite irritating, you can only tilt the screen when browsing the internet, you cant tilt to landscape when browsing through menus on the Nexus 7. Im not sure why Google has opted for this, maybe this will be rectified with a software update in the future. This has been rectified in the 4.1.2 update.

Lack of Games - Not necessarily a problem on the Nexus 7, but on the play market in general. There aren't many games catered for the Nexus 7 tablet at the moment, and to be honest I dont play nearly as much games on android as I used to on my iphone.

Conclusion

All in all im fairly satisfied with my Nexus 7 considering I only bought it to browse the internet around the house. It definitely feels like it should have cost more than £160 and so long as there are plenty of updates in the future that cater to user requests (such as screen tilt problem), then this could well turn out to be a best seller tablet.

I would give the Nexus 7 a 8/10, if it was able to make use of mobile internet and had expandable memory slot it would score a 10.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2572 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 295 (Unique: 218)
Just received a text message from UPS that my Nexus 7 has been delivered. This should work better than the iPad for marathon comic reading sessions. The iPad is just too heavy. tongue.gif
post #3 of 2572 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 2572 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 12)
Where are the pics? Come on! A club should have pics! rolleyes.gif

post #5 of 2572 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 100 (Unique: 88)
sorry for bad quick pic haha
post #6 of 2572 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 166 (Unique: 148)
Got mine today. smile.gif

Loving it so far. Jelly Bean seems really quick and smooth. Will play around with it more tomorrow.

post #7 of 2572 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 295 (Unique: 218)
Excuse the crappy quality. Just took the pic using my phone and lighting is pretty bad (had flash disabled to avoid flares)
post #8 of 2572 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 85 (Unique: 77)
Got mine yesterday. Sweet little device.
post #9 of 2572 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 91 (Unique: 79)
Got my baby yesterday. Rooted, but CWM isn't working too well so skipped perma-install of that. Just waiting for a better CWM and some AOKP goodness biggrin.gif

post #10 of 2572 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in