Fast charger is not fast !! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Fast charger is not fast !!

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Fast charger is not fast !!

I bought a fast charger Ldino has QC3 18W for tablet Asus s3 10 but the charging is still slow !! I only had to use old usb cable because this tablet has usb c and the charger cable come with micro usb so is this the reason ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:18 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 305 (Unique: 222)
The protocols used on both devices have to be the same and compatible. Charger and device have to be able to take the extra power. Poor cable can heat up and reduce charging rate.
The way it fast charges is to force higher power delivery over communicating with the device to agree that it can take the up to 20V and 18W. They need the higher voltage to transfer higher power and lower losses at the cable, most USB cables (and even other) are pretty trash no matter what you buy.

I think the problem is your device is not QC3, it only says so on gsmarena but as far as I know QC3 is not on MediaTek? You need Qualcomm's Snapdragon for QC3. Sadly each company has tried to proprietarize their corner of the market and I don't think USB-PD is widely used yet that would work on any standardized device.

As far as I can find you can buy a fast charging Asus charger for this device but it's not included with the device, it's bought separately.

If you ask me, you could probably try Mediatek compatible fast charger, it's likely just Asus being fake (misleading customers with a more popular buzzword/brandword) and writing quick charge 3.0 when they should have written pump express 3.0.

Last edited by JackCY; 04-22-2019 at 02:22 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Asus advertise this in all pages like their product page and even on Amazon. I tried some apps that measure the amp but it reported that my tablet does not has power profile so I can not get the reading from a software. btw I used the origingal cable and I dont have Asus QC3 here only that ldino.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:09 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 305 (Unique: 222)
Yeah their marketing probably wrote what they want not what it actually supports. Dig around and you will find it what charger works and what fast charging is supported by the hardware used in the device.
There are USB meters that can show you the voltage and current being transferred (if you don't have a multimeter for measuring, those meters are easy to use if one plans to test and test a lot with their different devices). Don't bother with software apps.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 476 (Unique: 422)
Definitely try a quality USB cable (you mentioned it was old, but was it a brand name, or a cheap one?). Cables do make a difference, in both charging speed, and data transfer speed. Always make sure to use a quality one if possible.

I would suggest trying that first.

Steam/Origin ID: xxicrimsonixx
CPU
i7 4930K
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
GPU
Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti SLI
RAM
16GB G. Skill Ripjaws Z
Hard Drive
2x 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD RAID 1
Hard Drive
2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 RAID 1
Optical Drive
Samsung Burner w/ Lightscribe
Power Supply
Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W Gold
Cooling
Custom Watercooling
Case
Cooler Master HAF 922 w/ Dust Filters
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Monitor
55" 4K Samsung Curved TV
Keyboard
Roccat Sova Mechanical
Mouse
Roccat Kone XTD
Audio
Glow Amp One > HD650
Audio
Yamaha Receiver + 5.1
Other
Xbox One Wireless Controller
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in