HD5000 Series Freezer' Burn Conclusion - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

HD5000 Series Freezer' Burn Conclusion

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
External VRM FTW

HD5000 Series Freezer' Burn Conclusion

During the months of December of 2018 and January of 2019, Overclock.net hosted a large scale computer overclocking competition. This was the second competition of its kind to be hosted at OCN. It was a different type of competition because the goal was to create one universal platform that would entice as many people as possible.

With the Freezer’ Burn competition we attempted to arrange it so that all cooling categories were rolled into one cohesive event. Effectively, we split the competition into two separate parts but both parts used the same hardware and benchmarks selections. For those who have normal air or water cooling there was the ambient class. Then for those who wish to use more exotic cooling methods such as LN2 or Dry Ice, there was an extreme class.

In order to appeal to the widest audience possible, we decided to focus on both 2D and 3D benchmarks. There were a total of four benchmarks, but only three counted towards the users total points. We decided to use the ATI HD5000 series graphics cards because they are widely available and inexpensive. It soon became apparent that most serious competitors chose to use the best card in the series, the HD5870. The now infamous HD5870 was released in September 23, 2009, and it is the fastest (single gpu) card of the generation.

The HD5870

Here you can see the HD5870 performance compared to a few other cards

Most overclockers know that in order to get the maximum overclocking performance out of any graphics card, the voltage needs to be increased. The HD5800 series did not disappoint in that regard. We learned that it responds well to a small voltage increase and it can still be used for ambient cooling. Throughout the course of this competition we saw quite a lot of graphics card hard modding going on. One user comes to mind is macsbeach98. He chose to do not only one, but two extreme mods to his cards. He did a complete VRM replacement voltmod which replaces with existing voltage control hardware and utilizes a higher power voltage regulation module for increased potential. I must admit, being a modder and fan of external VRM modding myself, I recognize that he did an incredibly good job with the soldering and overall construction of his mods.

Here is macsbeach98 showing his EPower mods on two different HD5870 cards

The concept of having two split cooling classes was a success. Those users who wanted to use ambient cooling were not overshadowed by the users with extreme cooling. While both cooling classes had lots of activity, we certainly saw the most submissions in the ambient cooling category. In the ambient category, we saw everything from completely stock OEM cooling solutions, AIO water cooling, custom water cooling, and even some ice water cooling. There were a few users, mostly in warm ambient climates, who tossed in a few ice cubes into their water cooling reservoir. This was legal since they stayed within the temperature limits.. On the other end of things, In the extreme category, we observed everything from chilled water loop, dry ice, and the obligatory liquid nitrogen.

Benchmark competitions always bring out the extreme cooling solutions, here rt123 is running liquid nitrogen on his CPU and memory

There was no shortage of interesting cooling methods being used on the ambient side of things. Here we can see the user kicsipapucs using what appears to be a CPU cooler on his graphics card. Check out the little support pedestal he made using leggo’s.

The balance of 2D and 3D was fairly even, however we did see the most activity in 2D for both extreme and ambient categories. Right from the start we saw a battle going on for the top Cinebench R15 in the ambient category. It took some submissions to see the trend that developed, but we soon found out that Intel 4-core CPU’s were best when dividing Cinebench R15 results by core count. The OCN Hwbot member bigblock990 got first place in all four of the ambient stages. He used a combination of an i7 7700k and i9 9700k with both ASRock and Asus motherboards and several different HD5870’s to get the job done. The user Mikecdm came out of retirement and managed to get second place even after just learning modern DDR4 overclocking for this competition. Third place goes to KaRtA82, he is a well known hwbot bencher and community member. The ambient category was highly contested just about daily and it was very entertaining to watch.

Here is bigblock990’s rig for Geekbench

Things on the extreme side were a bit quiet at first but picked up nicely about halfway through. The process of taking computer equipment subzero is far more time consuming and requires more planning. First place goes OCN’s very own Hwbot points leader, Splave. He is currently the number one ranked overclocker in the world!. He managed to clock his HD5870 up to staggering speeds with very basic mods only, and currently holds the world record for Vantage and others. Splave took first in all three stages that he submitted results for. Second place goes to mllrkllr88 (myself). I used an HD5850 and managed to achieve the highest Vantage clocks on hwbot by using an external VRM on my card. Third place goes to shar00750. He used a combination of HD5870 and HD5850 graphics cards for his placement. It would not be ethical for me to win prizes in the competition, so shar00750 will take the second place prize. Similarly, the 4th place ranked competitor will take third place prizes. There was a tie between 5erved and rt123 for the third place ranking. Because 5erved has a better GPUPI score, that user will take the official third place ranking.

Here is Splave running his HD5870 for GPUPI

It's not just about the winners of each stage, everyone deserves an honorable mention for participating. The final results of this competition are as follows:

Any good competition wouldn’t get very far without having awesome prizes. In this competition we were fortunate to have incredible backing from our sponsors. The main sponsor for the event was Alphacool. Together with ASRock, Team Group, and Overclock.net, they sponsored the even with 6 prizes totaling over $1500 USD. To make the prize pool even more amazing, all four sponsors stepped up and offered 13 prizes totaling over $800 USD to be used as lucky draw for all participants.

Please take a minute and thank the sponsors by simply going to their website. This seems like a small and meaningless thing, but it makes a big difference.

OCN Freezer' Burn Event Sponsors
  1. First Place: $350 USD Shopping spree at Alphacool.com + $50 PayPal from OCN [$400 Value] LINK
  2. Second Place: ASRock Z390 Taichi + $30 PayPal from OCN [$265 Value] LINK
  3. Third Place: Team T-Force Delta R RGB 250GB SSD + $30 PayPal from OCN [$104 Value] LINK

1. First Place: $350 USD Shopping spree at Alphacool.com + $50 PayPal from OCN [$400 Value] LINK
  2. Second Place: Team T-FORCE XCALIBUR RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DDR4 3600 Special Edition + $30 PayPal from OCN [$250 Value] LINK
  3. Third Place: Team T-Force Delta R RGB 250GB SSD + $30 PayPal from OCN [$104 Value] LINK

• ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX/AC[$190 Value] LINK
  • Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Alliance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 [$160 Value] LINK (Note: Prize is for DDR4 3000)
  • $100 USD Shopping spree at Alphacool.com
  • $25 PayPal from OCN
  • $25 PayPal from OCN
  • $25 PayPal from OCN
  • $25 PayPal from OCN
  • $25 PayPal from OCN
  • $25 PayPal from OCN
  • $25 PayPal from OCN
  • $20 PayPal from OCN
One unique and special aspect of this competition is that we are offering 13 lucky draw prizes. The top three finishers of each category (6 total) won a set price, but everyone else who participated (except those who entered as prize exempt) was entered into a drawing for the lucky draw prizes. The competition ended with 54 total participants. Of the participants, 6 were the winners and 3 were prize exempt. With 13 lucky draw prizes and 45 eligible, the odds are quite good.

In summary, 45 eligible participants and 19 total prizes means that roughly 36% of everyone involved won a prize!!!

A formal drawing was held to determine the winners of the lucky draw prizes. The winners are as follows:

If you won any of the prizes outlined above expect a PM from me in the next few days. Please be patient with the prize disbursement timeline, as this process can take many weeks to collect all the information and coordinate with the prize sponsors.

The luck draw was done in a very official manner, and everyone had an equal opportunity. Please check out the official drawing results here (with a full list of the entries and winners):
https://app.randompicker.com/protocol/585951x47022

Given the outcome of this event, I believe we can offer more events like this in the future. I think the Freezer’ Burn platform (aka subzero or ambient), is a good basic structure for future competitions. This would be an excellent time to give us some feedback. What did you like? What didn't you like? How would you change it in the future?

I want to thank the sponsors and all the participants. This competition was a long time in the making and I am very pleased that it was successful. It would not have been possible without the support of the OCN bench team and the sponsors. While it was a group effort, I want to give special thanks to:

@Noxinite For co-managing this competition
@DR4G00N For helping moderate
@Jpmboy For helping moderate

24/7 BENCH
(9 items)
CPU
[LGA115x] 8700k, 7700K, 7350k, G3258
CPU
[LGA2066] 7940X, 7740X
Motherboard
[OCF FTW] X299 OCF, Z170M OCF, Z97 OCF
GPU
E-Power, G-Power, H-Power, A-Power
RAM
B-DIE, HYKO, PSC, MFR
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200W
Cooling
Kingpin Cooling: Venom & T-REX
Cooling
2x360 RAD Custom Loop
Case
Dimastech Easy V3.0
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by mllrkllr88; 02-11-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:34 AM
OC...D

Rep: 1236
Amazing job and great comp!

ASUS Z370/Z390 Motherboard Support Thread, Coffee Lake OC Guide
Rampage VI Apex / 7980XE / 2 Titan V / 32GB 4000C16/Corsair AX1500i/Intel 900P

For Sale
X299
(25 items)
x99
(18 items)
Z370 Z390
(23 items)
CPU
7980XE
CPU
7740X
CPU
7740X
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage VI Apex
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus G9
Motherboard
Gigabyte x299 Gaming
GPU
2x Nvidia Titan V
GPU
GTX 1080
RAM
G. Skill 2x(2x8GB) 3600c15 @4000c16
RAM
Team Group
Hard Drive
INtel Optane 900P
Hard Drive
2x256 Plextor Raid 0
Hard Drive
WD Raptor
Hard Drive
Samsung Sm 961
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G3
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
Aquacomputer GiGant 1680 (4x420)
Cooling
Koolance EXC-800
Case
Microcool Banchetto 101 (Alu)
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Operating System
Win 7 Pro
Monitor
ROG Swift
Keyboard
Ducky
Mouse
Spatha
CPU
6950X
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage V Extreme-10
GPU
Titan Xp
GPU
Titan Xp
RAM
G Skill 8x8GB 3200c14 @3400c13
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Optical Drive
ASUS BR/DVD/CD
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Cooling
2x360 Aq Copper Rads
Cooling
Aquaero 6
Cooling
Koolance ERM-3K3U (9-fan mora)
Cooling
Ek Full Cover MB waterblock
Case
CaseLabs Mercury S8
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Operating System
Win 7 Pro
Monitor
AGON 32 inch
Keyboard
Das Pro
Mouse
Logitech G700
CPU
CPU
CPU
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus X Apex
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Extreme
GPU
GTX 1080
GPU
GTX 1070Ti FTW2
GPU
Titan V
RAM
2x8 GB G.Skill 4400c19
RAM
G.Skill 3600c16 4x6GB
Hard Drive
Intel 750
Optical Drive
PLextor DVD/CD
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Power Supply
Corsair HX 1200i
Power Supply
Seasonic Titanium 850W
Cooling
360Rad + Chiller
Cooling
Koolance ERM-3K3U
Case
Corasir 570
Operating System
Win 10
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro
Monitor
55" 4K
Keyboard
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:36 AM
Hardware Gearhead

Rep: 124
Wahoo! Again thanks to all the people that are able to bring this kind of stuff to OCN.

And a big thanks to the sponsors.

Had fun this second time around, and cannot wait until the next one.

TJ-10
(12 items)
CPU
Intel i7-7700k
Motherboard
Asus Maximus IX Apex
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
RAM
Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 2x8gb
Hard Drive
Intel 120gb SSD (OS)
Hard Drive
10tb worth of HDDs
Power Supply
Corsair RM750i
Cooling
Corsair H150i Pro RGB
Case
Silverstone TJ10-BW
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB
Mouse
Corsair Scimitar PRO RGB
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:06 AM
HWBot Bencher

Thanks to the sponsors, and everyone who participated!

DDR2 Frequency 1st Place = 910.1MHz DDR (1820.2MHz) - http://hwbot.org/submission/3589779

Reference Frequency 11th Place = 711.18MHz - https://hwbot.org/submission/3978447_

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:28 AM
Old School Overclocker !

Rep: 3
Thank you for such great event , planning and execution was flawless. It also brought me out of retirement after ~5 years without touching LN2 . Thank you for everyone involved on the making of this event and i'm looking forward to the next one. Congratz to all the winners and participants. Had a blast and lots of fun !

Old school LN2 overclocker , Ranked # 6 world wide ranking at hwbot in 2010 !
CPU
2700x
Motherboard
Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII
GPU
GTX 1080Ti
RAM
G.Skill
Hard Drive
Adata SX8200 512GB NVMe
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
Toshiba HDD 3TB
Power Supply
eVGA Supernova P2 1200w
Cooling
Custom H2O Loop
Case
Corsair 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Samsung KS8000 65" SUHD 4K HDR TV
Keyboard
Logitech
Mouse
Logitech
Audio
Creative AE-5
▲ hide details ▲

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:31 AM
335is

Rep: 769
Thanks to everyone who helped put this together. I am sure it's a lot of work. Thanks to the sponsors as well.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Grats to the winners.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9
Congrats to everyone what won a prize!!! Without the hardware sponsors, these awesome prizes wouldn't be available. Let's not forget to give them a round of applause as well!! I can't wait to see what OCN cooks up for the next forum comp!!

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 03:50 PM
LN2 addict

Rep: 70
Thanks again to Mllrkllr and crew, the sponsors, and all the participants. I'm already looking forward to the next one

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:00 PM
Ambient Overclocker

Rep: 0
The comp was well organised and tons of fun, big thanks to Mllrkllr and everyone else who made this possible. I definitely liked the ambient and extreme split ladders and the large lucky draw prize pool that means everyone had a decent chance of winning something, even if they didn't get the best results. Also counting your top 3 subs towards the final score also helps if you are lagging a bit in one particular bench, in this case maybe if you had **** memory but still a good CPU you'd still be competitive. So that was also a great feature imo.

Last edited by Cautilus; 02-06-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in