Overclock.net banner

Freezer' Burn 2019 Round 3

44K views 437 replies 67 participants last post by  ucode 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Welcome to the fourth installment of the Freezer’ Burn overclocking competition. The goal of this competition is to have fun with overclocking and create a fair environment where we can compete against each other.

In a departure from previous completions, this time we chose to focus on newer generation components. For this competition we are going to do things a little different, instead of using only one specific GPU, we are going to allow cards from both AMD and Nvidia. To make things fair we are going to limit the cards down to only a few models. If you choose to do battle with a Nvidia card, then you will be limited to the GTX1060 6GB card, or any lesser Pascal GPU (1000 series). If you want to play with the AMD cards, then the limit will be RX 580 8GB card, or any lesser Polaris GPU (both RX 400 and RX 500 series are allowed, except the RX 590). Both of the top models have been known to be very similar with benchmark performance, so it should make a nice competition.

The second big change is the adoption of the Benchmate result verification software. For all of the 2D stages, we will require the use of only Benchmate to validate the score. This revolutionary software ensures that everyone plays fair. Simply run the selected benchmark in the Benchmate software and click the save result button. It generates a benchmark summary which includes many useful pieces of info such as processor MHz during bench, benchmark result, and temp during bench.

To make things even more interesting, we are going to allow all generations of both AMD and Intel CPU's. Simply put, we will allow every CPU ever made in this competition. You might be saying to yourself, hey that's not fair since I only have a 4 core CPU and others might have 32 core CPU’s. Well, we have an interesting solution to this problem, which will be described below in the 2D section. To take things a step further, we are only choosing the graphical portions of 3D benchmark programs so the CPU does wont influence the score. No matter what CPU you have, you can compete in a fair environment!

Competition by itself is fun, but lets face it, it’s more interesting when there are awesome prizes to win! We are extremely happy to report that this competition is supported with OVER $2200 of prizes with no less than 18 WINNERS!!

Competition Duration: December 25th to February 29th (23:59 Pacific Time)

This competition was designed with the goal that everyone can participate and be competitive. Whether you are an experienced subzero overclocker or just starting and this is all new, you can learn and participate in a fair and even environment. There are separate categories for ambient-cooled and extreme-cooled computers. You will only be allowed to participate in one category. You may change once from the ambient category up to the subzero category. Users who start out in the subzero category will not be allowed to move to ambient.

• Processor is unlimited. ANY processor from any generation is welcome!!
  • Processor speed is UNLIMITED.
  • The processor and graphics card cannot fall below 20 degrees C.

• Processor is unlimited. ANY processor from any generation is welcome!!
  • There are no cooling or frequency limits, all forms of cooling accepted. Popular ones include: chilled water, phase change, dry ice & liquid nitrogen.

For each benchmark you wish to compete in, you will be required to submit a screenshot and a picture of the computer (not just the external case, but the actual components) running the benchmark. Only screenshots with the valid competition wallpaper will be accepted.

There will be 5 benchmarks in each category but only your top 3 scores will be counted. We encourage you to participate in all 5 stages. However, we wanted to add the option of dropping at most two scores in case you have difficulties getting a score or there are other problems. It’s in your best interest to submit to all 5 stages. The benchmarks for this competition are as follows: Cinebench R20 (per core), SuperPi 32M, PiFast, Time Spy (graphics score) and Fire Strike (graphics score).

Official Competition Wallpaper: Attached at bottom

For the entirety of the competition, we will require the use of Benchmate version 0.10.5 (Beta), which was released 12-20-2019. Everything you need for the 2D portion of this competiton is obtained from Benchmate. You won't need anything else and you don't need to worry about various programs or version requirements. We will specify version requirements just for the sake of clarity, but Benchmate removes any ambiguity.

Cinebench R20
  1. Benchmark download (Included in big bundle of Benchmate, download once): LINK
  2. Benchmate version 0.10.5, No R20 version requirement.
  3. Required for screenshot: Non-obstructed rendered image is ideal, entire benchmark window, Benchmate result window.
  4. No GPU restriction.
  5. Score for this competition will be the total multi-core R20 score divided by the physical core count.
  6. Partially covered is acceptable, but try to show as much of the rendered R20 window as possible. To play it safe, use a custom resolution and show the entire R20 rendered image. A word of caution with resolution...we must be able to read the Benchmate result window. If the resolution is too crazy, and we can't read the result, then it will be rejected.
  7. Rig picture of the PC that the score was achieved on.
  8. Example Screenshot (Score 19360/32 = 605)

Pifast
  1. Benchmark download (Included in big bundle of Benchmate, download once): LINK
  2. Benchmate version 0.10.5.
  3. Required for screenshot: Pifast result, Benchmate result window.
  4. No GPU restriction.
  5. Rig picture of the PC that the score was achieved on.
  6. Example Screenshot (Score: 17.37)
SuperPi 32M
  2. Benchmate version 0.10.5, Mod 1.5 XS version requirement.
  3. Required for screenshot: SuperPi result, Benchmate result window.
  4. No GPU restriction.
  6. Example Screenshot (Score 683.479s)
Time Spy - Graphics Score
  1. Benchmark download, Version 2.11.6846 (or newer): LINK
  2. Required SystemInfo V5.25 (or newer) installed and running. LINK
  3. Required for screenshot: Benchmark result window (key required), CPU-Z Tabs (CPU, Memory, MB), GPU-Z, GPU Temp & HWMonitor.
  4. Ambient only: You need to display GPU Temp with the temperature profile of the GPU during the whole benchmark clearly shown as well as the current temperature of the GPU. This is to prevent people from running a LN2 pot at exactly 20°C (or any similar exploit) for the entire benchmark. You can download GPU Temp here: LINK.
  5. Ambient only: You need to display HWMonitor with the minimum and maximum CPU core temperatures during the whole benchmark. You can download HWMonitor here: LINK.
  6. In addition the score file must be saved and uploaded to 3DMark (https://www.3dmark.com/settings/uploadresult) to validate the score and check the SystemInfo version.
  8. Example Screenshot (Score: 4524)

Note: this screenshot needs updating to correctly represent the current rules (it is missing HWMonitor and a Futuremark link).

Fire Strike - Graphics Score
  1. Benchmark download, Version 2.11.6846 (or newer): LINK
  2. Required SystemInfo V5.25 (or newer) installed and running. LINK
  3. Required for screenshot: Benchmark result window (key required), CPU-Z Tabs (CPU, Memory, MB), GPU-Z & HWMonitor.
  4. Ambient only: You need to display GPU Temp with the temperature profile of the GPU during the whole benchmark clearly shown as well as the current temperature of the GPU. This is to prevent people from running a LN2 pot at exactly 20°C (or any similar exploit) for the entire benchmark. You can download GPU Temp here: LINK.
  5. Ambient only: You need to display HWMonitor with the minimum and maximum CPU core temperatures during the whole benchmark. You can download HWMonitor here: LINK.
  6. In addition the score file must be saved and uploaded to 3DMark (https://www.3dmark.com/settings/uploadresult) to validate the score and check the SystemInfo version.
  8. Example Screenshot (Score: 15101)

Note: this screenshot needs updating to correctly represent the current rules (it is missing HWMonitor and a Futuremark link).

1. Benchmark rules outlined above apply.
  2. Rig picture of the PC that the score was achieved on.
  3. Processor choice is unlimited. ANY processor from any generation is welcome!!
  4. Engineering Sample (ES) CPUs are allowed, however, all participants making submissions with ES CPUs will be exempt from prizes
  5. Allowed GPUs: AMD RX580 8GB, AMD RX580 4GB, GTX 1060 6GB, GTX 1060 3GB (or lesser models from the same families as stated above).
  6. Only one GPU (with a single core) may be used.
  7. Any component of your system must not fall below 20 degrees C.
  8. HWMonitor and GPU Temp software will be required for all 3D screenshots.
  9. We require that you keep temperature monitoring software open during the bench and that we clearly see the expected rise and fall of system component temps.
  10. You are required to show temps for CPU and GPU (for all 3D submissions).
  11. For clarification, the Futuremark links are needed for validation of the score and SystemInfo version. In addition, for Fire Strike tesselation and LOD tweaks are allowed, however for Time Spy NEITHER tesselation or LOD tweaks are allowed.

1. Benchmark rules outlined above apply
  2. Processor choice is unlimited. ANY processor from any generation is welcome!!
  3. Engineering Sample (ES) CPUs are allowed, however, all participants making submissions with ES CPUs will be exempt from prizes
  4. No CPU frequency or cooling limit.
  6. Allowed GPUs: AMD RX580 8GB AMD RX580 4GB, GTX 1060 6GB, GTX 1060 3GB (or lesser models from the same family as state above).
  7. Only one GPU (with a single core) may be used.
  8. For clarification, the Futuremark links are needed for validation of the score and SystemInfo version. In addition, for Fire Strike tesselation and LOD tweaks are allowed, however for Time Spy NEITHER tesselation or LOD tweaks are allowed.

Note: As of right now, embedding a spreadsheet is currently not working with the OCN transition vbulletin. Due to this inconvenience, scores will be updated when possible and we will post an image of the score spreadsheet instead of embedding the live spreadsheet. The OCN management staff is working on a solution but it's not likely to change during the duration of the competition (again).

The scoring is straightforward. You will be awarded points for your position and the points are tallied to make a combined total score. Please note, only your top three submissions, from the possible 5 submissions, will be totalled.

Tiebreaker In the event that there is a tie in the total score, the order of score importance is as follows: Time Spy Graphics Score > Fire Strike Graphics Score > SuperPi 32M > Cinebench R20 > PiFast

SCORES Last Updated: 23rd February 2020.

Simply put, we want as many people to participate and have fun as possible. Normally in competitions like this, the top winners are the only people who receive the prizes. We wanted to make sure many people had a chance of winning something so for this competition we will have 12 lucky draw prizes. At the end of the competition, we will host a raffle for all the participants (other than the ambient/extreme top 3 winners).

To be eligible for a lucky draw prize all you need to do is make one legal submission to any of the 5 stages. Even if you only managed to run Cinebench R20 for instance, we want you to be eligible for the lucky draw prizes too. However, you also need to have an OCN account created before the 31st December 2019.

Just as a note: the organiser is exempt from all prizes and any mods are exempt from the ranked prizes.

Please take a minute and thank the sponsors by simply going to their website. This seems like a small and meaningless thing, but it makes a big difference.

OCN Freezer' Burn Event Sponsors

1. First Place: ASRock TRX40 TAICHI sTRX4 Motherboard + 30G Kingpin Cooling KPx Thermal Paste & T-Shirt Bundle [$500 + $70 Value]
  2. Second Place: T-FORCE Delta Max RGB SSD 2.5" 1-Terabyte SATA III SSD + 10G Kingpin Cooling KPx Thermal Paste & T-Shirt Bundle [$150 + $55 Value]
  3. Third Place: $50 PayPal from OCN

1. First Place: ASRock TRX40 TAICHI sTRX4 Motherboard + 30G Kingpin Cooling KPx Thermal Paste & T-Shirt Bundle [$500 + $70 Value]
  2. Second Place: T-FORCE CARDEA ZERO Z440 1TB PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe + 10G Kingpin Cooling KPx Thermal Paste & T-Shirt Bundle [$190 + $55 Value]
  3. Third Place: $50 PayPal from OCN

Thanks for reading and I hope you get involved! Everyone has a chance to win something, so even if you can only submit one score, it's worth it just to be involved and get entered into the lucky draw prizes.

Have fun and keep it clean! I wish everyone the best of luck!!

Special thanks: @Noxinite For co-managing this competition
Special thanks: @Jpmboy For helping moderate
Special thanks: @Tagg For helping moderate
Special thanks: @Splave For lurking in the shadows with a BANHAMMER in his hands

Check out the prizes :D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Reserved!

#3 ·
#13 ·
Oh baby.. You have a card for this? Not sure what to get

#7 ·
Yo, this looks awesome.

One question, at the beginning it says

"Processor is unlimited. ANY processor from any generation is welcome!!", then further down it says "All AMD and Intel CPU’️s are allowed up to 8 physical cores (you can also use less than 8 cores)" for the ambient section. Which is true?

#10 ·
And are we allowed to use 2 different CPUs? For example, 3900X for some benches, 8600K for others?
You can use any CPU for any bench with any core count you want!

#11 · (Edited)
We are still finalizing the details but I wanted to drop the thread a little early. The exact details might change a little bit up until the start of the competition.

#12 ·
Are "valid" scores on futuremark required?

In addition the score file must be saved and uploaded to 3DMark (https://www.3dmark.com/settings/uploadresult) to validate the score and check the SystemInfo version.
I saw this, but it could mean validating that the screenshot is legit or it could mean that it's a clean run without changing LOD or disabling tesselation.

#16 ·
Are "valid" scores on futuremark required?

I saw this, but it could mean validating that the screenshot is legit or it could mean that it's a clean run without changing LOD or disabling tesselation.
Normally we say this to check against the screenshot.

I think as for tweaks we shall follow HWBots past rulings, so tessellation tweaks and LOD are fine for FS. But LOD and tess tweaking are banned for TS, AFAIK.

#19 ·
Haha, you don't have to play if you don't like the setup :p I would guess that new gen platforms wont have XP support...so 32M on W7 is coming (but that's just a guess).

#22 ·
EPIC !
Awesome job Nox, Miller, JPM, Tagg, Splave
Much love to ASRock, Kingpin Cooling and Team Group ! Use them links to visit their websites guys !

As much as I would prefer 32m on XP, for a comp like this it makes a lot of sense with BM. We all have the same limitations, and hopefully it will help discover NEW tweaks for SPi 32m on Windows 7+newer OS.
I don't know about the rest of ya'll but I have spent 100+ hours learning how to mod bios', flash via RPi/Ch341A & more. Countless hours trying to get modern platforms to run <properly> on XP 32bit all just to run 1 benchmark ( One very lovely 4+ minute test, the one true Mem OC benchmark π ).
Sure we got Z390 there, but with an overall multi community effort of probably thousands of hours. I can see us succeeding on upcoming Intel LGA 1200? socket, but would not be surprised if that's the end

#23 ·
Thanks GTI! I hope you join us :D

Who knows about bios editing on RX580 series cards? I am clueless, anyone what to shed some light on this topic?

#24 ·
  • Rep+
Reactions: Dhoulmagus
#26 ·
Sweet Comp Setup Dave as always

Great work.

Vin

#29 · (Edited)
I grabbed one RX580 from eBay, no crazy binning for me this time. I scored this Red Devil Golden Sample for a little over $100 shipped, there are many more in that price range too!! I also have a 1060 6GB to play with, but that one comes later.

Quick test with stock cooler, stock thermal paste, and +100mV applied in software: 1520/2200 in Firestrike hitting a max of 62c

The Core PWM is IR3567B
The Memory PWM is APW8722A
There are at least two supporting voltage rails. GS7256 and GS9238
Memory IC: Micron D9VVR, Part Number: MT51J256M32HF-80

Once I measure voltage and take a closer look at this card I will be able to determine the usage of the supplemental rails. The core PWM is digital and running I2C, so EvC2 would be a great choice for this card. The memory and PLL/AUX rails will need a manual voltmod. The stock capping in this board looks pretty nice, I will add some more but I don't expect to achieve much from this. It's a very solid design from the factory...no external VRM modding for me this time (as long as EvC2 is working with no limits).

#31 ·
I grabbed one RX580 from eBay, no crazy binning for me this time. I scored this Red Devil Golden Sample for a little over $100 shipped, there are many more in that price range too!! I also have a 1060 6GB to play with, but that one comes later.

Quick test with stock cooler, stock thermal paste, and +100mV applied in software: 1520/2200 in Firestrike hitting a max of 62c

The Core PWM is IR3567B
The Memory PWM is APW8722A
There are at least two supporting voltage rails. GS7256 and GS9238
Memory IC: Micron D9VVR, Part Number: MT51J256M32HF-80

Once I measure voltage and take a closer look at this card I will be able to determine the usage of the supplemental rails. The core PWM is digital and running I2C, so EvC2 would be a great choice for this card. The memory and PLL/AUX rails will need a manual voltmod. The stock capping in this board looks pretty nice, I will add some more but I don't expect to achieve much from this. It's a very solid design from the factory...no external VRM modding for me this time (as long as EvC2 is working with no limits).
Snap! Haha, I have the exact same card. :D

#30 ·
Go Go Go!

So many things to choose from this time!

I am leaning towards the RX480/580. Still reading in tho.
A person could try to flash a 480 to a 580 in order to keep the costs down.
Not sure how well this will work but you'll just have to find out yourself!

RX480 voltage control tool at the bot.
Splaves protip: you need visual basic 2013 x86 for it to work!

Or use EVC2 if you got one.

https://community.hwbot.org/topic/1...-01b-easy-software-tool-by-tiborrr-amp-tomie/

Really excited to murder some cards!
Quickly changing wishlist for Christmas and birthday :p

#32 ·
@5erveD Stoked you can join us! Invite your benching friends too!!
@Noxinite Nice card choice my dude! Do you have the EVC2? I checked last night, support is already built in for this PWM!!

For those who may be reading along and don't know, the EVC2 is in the simplest terms, a device that allows unlimited voltage control of the core voltage. It speaks the language of the PWM controller and allows the user to edit many features such as voltage, LLC, OCP, and others.
https://www.elmorlabs.com/index.php/product/evc2/

#47 ·
I think it remains to be seen. If you check Hwbot there are some 1060 results that crush 580 (LN2).

#49 · (Edited)
mllrkllr88 said:
For those who may be reading along and don't know, the EVC2 is in the simplest terms, a device that allows unlimited voltage control of the core voltage. It speaks the language of the PWM controller and allows the user to edit many features such as voltage, LLC, OCP, and others.
https://www.elmorlabs.com/index.php/product/evc2/
EVC2 is a tool all overclockers should have for the price. Basically an Arduino/Rasp Pi for OC. Newer software now EPower IV ready

#51 ·
In the spirit of Christmas Noxinite and I have decided to drop the wallpaper a few hours early! :thumb:

Here it is (also attached to OP)

Attachments

#52 ·
Excellent, to start the year and thanks to the administrator for making it possible, Happy Holidays to all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.