Freezer' Burn 2019 Round 3 - Results Thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Freezer' Burn 2019 Round 3 - Results Thread

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
External VRM FTW

Freezer' Burn 2019 Round 3 - Results Thread

From the end of December 2019 to the end February 2020, Overclock.net hosted a large scale computer overclocking competition. This was the fourth competition of its kind to be hosted at OCN. It was a different type of competition because the goal was to create one universal platform that would entice as many people as possible.

This competition was designed with the goal that everyone can participate and be competitive. Whether you are an experienced subzero overclocker or just starting and this is all new, you can learn and participate in a fair and even environment. There are separate categories for ambient-cooled and extreme-cooled computers.

For this competition we did things a little different. Instead of limiting participants to only one specific GPU like we have done in the past, this time we allowed an offering from both AMD and Nvidia. To make things fair we limited the cards down to only a few models. The Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB and AMD RX 580 8GB have been battling each other in the reviews since their release. There is no better paring of cards from the two companies that is so evenly matched, so it seemed like an obvious choice.
techspot.com did a nice comparison of the two graphcis cards, and in terms of global performance, they are well matched.
Image Credit: techspot.com

The second big change is the adoption of the Benchmate result verification software. For all of the 2D stages, we required the use of the Benchmate software to validate all scores. This revolutionary software ensures that everyone plays fair. Simply run the selected benchmark in the Benchmate software and click the save result button. It generates a benchmark summary which includes many useful pieces of info such as processor MHz during bench, benchmark result, and temp during bench.

To make things even more interesting, we allowed all generations of both AMD and Intel CPU's. Simply put, participants were able to use practically any CPU ever made.. You might be saying to yourself, hey that's not fair since I only have a 4 core CPU and others might have 32 core CPU’s. To make things fair with regard to core count, we chose benchmarks that produced the best results with 2-8 cores. To take things a step further, we only used the graphical portions of 3D benchmark programs so the CPU did not influence the score. No matter what CPU you have, you can compete in a fair environment!

The Results
Our test run of the Benchmate software was very successful. We did unearth some minor problems with temperature monitoring and system info monitoring, but those have since been corrected in the newest versions of the software. The software does an excellent job of verifying the results. In fact, we put so much trust in the software that we were able to conduct the 2D portion of this competition without requiring CPUz at all… and that is quite impressive. We are looking forward to continued use and development of this impressive benchmark validation software.

Ambient

We received a plethora of excellent benchmark results. While it would be fun to analyze all of them, we just don't have time for that in this summary thread. Because we used the Time Spy benchmark as the tie-breaker most competitive participants put a lot of effort into that stage.

@Nikster is the winner of the ambient category. He was running the RX580 8GB at an impressive 1660MHz for a total graphics score of 5426. This is his second time winning the ambient stage of a Freezer' Burn competition...who's going to stop him for the next one?

@Kolby Powers came in second place for ambient. He had the highest clocking ambient RX580 8GB in Time Spy with a truly impressive clock speed of 1694MHz and a score of 5529.

I came in third in this competition but for obvious reasons I was prize exempt. Therefore the official third place rank goes to the next person in line. In this case there was a tie for 4th and 5th place, but @Jumper118 had the best Time Spy score so he takes the official third position. Similar to others, he was running the RX 580 8GB with a clock speed of 1639MHz and a total graphics score of 5311. He also deserves an honorable mention because his Time Spy score was submitted at the beginning of the competition on the 8th January 2020 and it stood strong until the end, well done!

Extreme

@d0minat0r is the winner of the extreme category. He was running a mind-bending 1900MHz with an RX580 8GB and a Time Spy graphics score of 5998.

@P5ych01982 comes in second in extreme. He was the only competitor to land on the podium using a GTX1060 6GB. With an impressive clock speed of 2695Mhz, he managed to score 5696 in Time Spy.

Third place in extreme gets a little tricky so bear with me here. @Bullshooter250 had the third place finish in sight but his Time Spy score was rejected on a technicality (not showing GPU-Z). There was a tie for third place, but @bigblock990 had the better Time Spy score so he took it. However, he chose to opt-out of the prize pool so the official third place goes to @shar00750 . He was running an RX580 8GB, clocked at 1780MHz for a total graphics score of 5568.

Interesting side notes:
  • Even though his score was rejected, Bullshooter250 produced the best Time Spy result of the competition with a GTX1060 6GB clocked at 2708Mhz and a Time Spy score of 6019.
  • The top ambient Time Spy score (Kolby Powers @ 5529 ) was remarkably close to the third place extreme Time Spy score (shar00750 @ 5568)
  • The GTX1060 was competitive with RX580 on LN2, but not at all with ambient cooling. The RX580 hands down ruled this competition on the Fire Strike side of things. In fact, the all-out GTX1060 Firestrike LN2 scores are just about tied with the ambient RX580 ones.

Prizes
One unique and special aspect of this competition is that we are offering 12 lucky draw prizes. The top three finishers of each category (6 total) won a set price, but everyone else who participated (except those who entered as prize exempt or were ineligible) were entered into a drawing for the lucky draw prizes. The competition ended with 45 total participants. Of the participants, 6 were the winners and 2 were prize exempt. With 13 lucky draw prizes and 37 eligible, the odds are quite good.

In summary, 43 eligible participants and 18 total prizes means that roughly 42% of everyone involved won a prize!!!

Please take a minute and thank the sponsors by simply going to their website. This seems like a small and meaningless thing, but it makes a big difference.

OCN Freezer' Burn Event Sponsors

A formal drawing was held to determine the winners of the lucky draw prizes. The winners are as follows:

If you won any of the prizes outlined above expect a PM from me in the next few days. Please be patient with the prize disbursement timeline, as this process can take many weeks to collect all the information and coordinate with the prize sponsors.

The luck draw was done in a very official manner, and everyone had an equal opportunity. Please check out the official drawing results here (with a full list of the entries and winners):
RandomPicker result: https://app.randompicker.com/Project...aspx?ID=655826

I want to give special thanks to:
Special thanks: @Noxinite For co-managing and working tirelessly updating the spreadsheet
Special thanks: @Jpmboy For helping moderate
Special thanks: @Tagg For helping moderate
Special thanks: @Splave For lurking in the shadows with a BANHAMMER in his hands

Check out the prizes

24/7 BENCH
(9 items)
CPU
[LGA115x] 8700k, 7700K, 7350k, G3258
CPU
[LGA2066] 7940X, 7740X
Motherboard
[OCF FTW] X299 OCF, Z170M OCF, Z97 OCF
GPU
E-Power, G-Power, H-Power, A-Power
RAM
B-DIE, HYKO, PSC, MFR
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200W
Cooling
Kingpin Cooling: Venom & T-REX
Cooling
2x360 RAD Custom Loop
Case
Dimastech Easy V3.0
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 06:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 129 (Unique: 59)
Thanks for your work guys! Awesome comp and look forward to the next.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
External VRM FTW

What did you guys like about the competition, and what didn't you like? Lets hash out the details now that the dust has settled, i'd really like to hear what you thought of it.

Personally, I think having an unlocked CPU frequency turned the competition into a bin war. Next time we might go back to a 5G limit, but then perhaps AMD has an advantage...there is no perfect solution.

I really DID like the Benchmate aspect. There was a small hiccup with the temp sensor, but we all used the same software so it was still fair play in the end. The temp sensor has been fixed so you can bet future competitions will implement this again.

24/7 BENCH
(9 items)
CPU
[LGA115x] 8700k, 7700K, 7350k, G3258
CPU
[LGA2066] 7940X, 7740X
Motherboard
[OCF FTW] X299 OCF, Z170M OCF, Z97 OCF
GPU
E-Power, G-Power, H-Power, A-Power
RAM
B-DIE, HYKO, PSC, MFR
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200W
Cooling
Kingpin Cooling: Venom & T-REX
Cooling
2x360 RAD Custom Loop
Case
Dimastech Easy V3.0
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 06:38 PM
OC...D

Rep: 1344 (Unique: 583)
Hey Super job guys! Shout to @Noxinite AND @mllrkllr88 for all the work and organization! It was a lot of fun and some serious competition showed up.

You know where I stand on the 5GHz limit on CPUs... when there are cpu-only benches in the roster. Kinda like putting a frequency limit on GPUs when there are GPU-only benches in the mix. But hey, if that's what you think bring in more players... I'm good. I'll let the dogs out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_ns2encDYgE1siq8rfo4_1280.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	649.3 KB
ID:	332550  

ASUS Z370/Z390 Motherboard Support Thread, Coffee Lake OC Guide
X299
(32 items)
x99
(17 items)
Z370
(20 items)
CPU
7980XE
CPU
7740X
CPU
10980XE
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage VI Apex
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus G9
Motherboard
Rampage VI Extreme Omega
GPU
3x Nvidia Titan V
GPU
GTX 1080
GPU
2 2080Ti FE / EK Vector Blocks
RAM
G. Skill 2x(2x8GB) 3600c15 @4000c16
RAM
Two 4x8GB GS 3600c16 kits @ 3733c15
Hard Drive
INtel Optane 900P
Hard Drive
2x256 Plextor Raid 0
Hard Drive
WD Raptor
Hard Drive
Samsung Sm 961
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G3
Power Supply
Seasonic Platinum 1300W
Cooling
Aquacomputer GiGant 1680 (4x420)
Cooling
Koolance EXC-800
Cooling
2x Koolance -3K3U
Case
Microcool Banchetto 101 (Alu)
Case
Corsair 570X
Case
Lian Li
Case
Case Labs
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Operating System
Win 7 Pro
Monitor
ROG Swift
Monitor
AOC 144Hz
Monitor
TCL 55" 4K60
Keyboard
Ducky
Mouse
Spatha
CPU
6950X
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage V Extreme-10
GPU
AsRock Radeon VII / Blkski Block
RAM
G Skill 8x8GB 3200c14 @3400c13
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Optical Drive
ASUS BR/DVD/CD
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Cooling
2x360 Aq Copper Rads
Cooling
Aquaero 6
Cooling
Koolance ERM-3K3U (9-fan mora)
Cooling
Ek Full Cover MB waterblock
Case
CaseLabs Mercury S8
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Operating System
Win 7 Pro
Monitor
AGON 32 inch
Keyboard
Das Pro
Mouse
Logitech G700
CPU
CPU
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus X Apex
GPU
Titan Xp
GPU
Titan Xp
RAM
2x8 GB G.Skill 4400c19
RAM
G.Skill 3600c16 4x6GB
Hard Drive
Intel 750
Optical Drive
PLextor DVD/CD
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Power Supply
Corsair HX 1200i
Power Supply
Seasonic Titanium 850W
Cooling
360Rad + Chiller
Cooling
Koolance ERM-3K3U
Case
Corasir 570
Operating System
Win 10
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro
Monitor
55" 4K
Keyboard
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Jpmboy; 03-13-2020 at 06:43 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 08:05 PM
LN2 addict

Rep: 70 (Unique: 42)
Great job everyone! These comps are always super fun

Thanks to the organizers/mods and the generous sponsors!!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 12:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
congrats to all competitors :-)

Thanks to the Sponsors, Mods and Organizers

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 02:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by Splave View Post
Thanks for your work guys! Awesome comp and look forward to the next.
Was great comp , you guys done it again .
Best thing in that comp was that you didn't compete you give a chance to the others.
Now for real, I hope we all have the chance to compete next time , wish you guys all the best and healthy

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Asrock z170m oc formula i9-9900k 5.2ghz g.skill dd4 4000 c12 gtx 980 strix seasonic 1000w titanium
http://valid.canardpc.com/7dxwad
https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/gse3sd-6.png

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 09:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Nice Comp. Big thx for all

Greez

Nik

Gesendet von meinem ELE-L29 mit Tapatalk
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 11:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Excellent competition chaps. Was very close and exciting. Thanks to the sponsors for the great prizes as well. They make the competition a bit more interesting than just benching for fun

Also thanks to the Organisers and mods who keep everyone in line and make sure all the scores are done correctly and fairly.

Gratz to all the winners as well. Some great scores at the top, will need to up my game for the next comp!

Looking forward to the next one.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 02:02 PM
HWBot Bencher

I still failed to put up any half-decent scores as per normal. D:

DDR2 Frequency 1st Place = 910.1MHz DDR (1820.2MHz) - http://hwbot.org/submission/3589779

Reference Frequency 10th Place = 711.18MHz - https://hwbot.org/submission/3978447_

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in