CRT vs 120Hz. For FPS. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

CRT vs 120Hz. For FPS.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 643
Rep: 43 (Unique: 31)
This is a question strictly asking for people moved on to LCD from CRT and KNOWS how good CRT is for FPS gaming.
So no need to post if you think "can't tell the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz" or "IPS looks way better".
Since I still love my CRT (20" 66lbs beast. 1600x1200 100Hz, 1280x1024 150Hz) and never felt "right" with any LCD monitors I've tried until this day.
(due to responsiveness, contrast ratio, ghosting)
If you have played any FPS games competitively and used to looking at CRT with 100+ true fps with vivid color without any ghosting on top of the 1ms response time, it is hard to move on to anything else.
So do you think it's worth for me to get any 120Hz monitors out there now?
(AW2310, S23A950D, Asus VG236H, Acer GD245HQ, BEN Q XL2410T, etc..)
Or wait for more better line of 120Hz comes out?
Or just stick with CRT forever until LCD surpasses all of the CRT specs?
I basically want something that's as close to CRT as possible. I even prefer glossy finish. tongue.gif
I'd really buy 24"+ widescreen CRT if there was one even with 100lbs....
Tunagoblin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 02:18 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North pole! :D
Posts: 4,710
Rep: 62 (Unique: 32)
Well, benq xl2410t is actually a LED monitor. With stunning picture quality and the response time is great, I haven't noticed any lag at all.

But, with 3 of them I'm sort of biased. biggrin.gif



Edit:
The diffrence between LCD and LED are mileswide, LCD blocks light to create images. While LED does the opposite and makes light to create images. The result is very well defined high definition images. Combined with the 2ms response time and 120hz update frequency, the BENQ is like nothing I've ever owned before.
I see it as the heir to the crt throne.

Should add that I have moved on from a sun 100hz crt.


Pepejovi "That's.. a bad idea the earth would crack from the sheer physical attraction formed from the two of us at the same place"
BlackVenom "This is the North Korea of tech forums"




Jeppzer is offline  
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Fortnite Fanatic
 
Draygonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,906
Rep: 163 (Unique: 140)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeppzer;14593596 
Edit:
The diffrence between LCD and LED are mileswide, LCD blocks light to create images. While LED does the opposite and makes light to create images. The result is very well defined high definition images.

You really shouldn't post when you don't know what you are talking about.

VR machine
(17 items)
CPU
i7 4790k
Motherboard
ASUS Z97I-Plus mITX
GPU
ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Turbo
RAM
8G EVGA 1600 C9
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung T3 250GB SSD
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 550 G2
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Corsair 250D
Operating System
Windows 10 64 bit
Monitor
Sony HW45ES Projector w 120" Acoustically Transparent Screen
Monitor
VR- HTC VIVE
Monitor
TCL 55R615
Keyboard
SteelSeries 6Gv2
Mouse
Logitech G305 wireless
Audio
Turtle Beach Stealth 700 w Wicked Cushions Earpads
Audio
Yamaha RX-V781 > Emotiva Airmotiv Speakers
▲ hide details ▲
Draygonn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North pole! :D
Posts: 4,710
Rep: 62 (Unique: 32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygonn;14593956 
You really shouldn't post when you don't know what you are talking about.

And what exactly, was wrong there?


Pepejovi "That's.. a bad idea the earth would crack from the sheer physical attraction formed from the two of us at the same place"
BlackVenom "This is the North Korea of tech forums"




Jeppzer is offline  
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 643
Rep: 43 (Unique: 31)
BenQ looks very good, though...
Especially it has the feature I use. (PIP is nice.)
But at the same time I hear it has poor construction and backlight bleeding issue.
I wish I could see the actual thing.....
Tunagoblin is offline  
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:39 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Concept_357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 271
Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygonn;14593956 
You really shouldn't post when you don't know what you are talking about.

This lol^^. IQ on the BenQ is horrible TBH.

A CRT will give you a much better IQ while preserving a high refresh rate.
Concept_357 is offline  
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Retired Staff
 
metallicamaster3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston & NYC
Posts: 6,842
Rep: 89 (Unique: 76)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunagoblin;14593057 
This is a question strictly asking for people moved on to LCD from CRT and KNOWS how good CRT is for FPS gaming.
So no need to post if you think "can't tell the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz" or "IPS looks way better".
Since I still love my CRT (20" 66lbs beast. 1600x1200 100Hz, 1280x1024 150Hz) and never felt "right" with any LCD monitors I've tried until this day.
(due to responsiveness, contrast ratio, ghosting)
If you have played any FPS games competitively and used to looking at CRT with 100+ true fps with vivid color without any ghosting on top of the 1ms response time, it is hard to move on to anything else.
So do you think it's worth for me to get any 120Hz monitors out there now?
(AW2310, S23A950D, Asus VG236H, Acer GD245HQ, BEN Q XL2410T, etc..)
Or wait for more better line of 120Hz comes out?
Or just stick with CRT forever until LCD surpasses all of the CRT specs?
I basically want something that's as close to CRT as possible. I even prefer glossy finish. tongue.gif
I'd really buy 24"+ widescreen CRT if there was one even with 100lbs....

You want the best monitor ever, for gaming + everything else? Get an FW900. I had one of them (Manyak had three, I bought one from him) and I almost cried the day I sold it (had to, needed money to move to Texas).

It's 24", 2304x1440 @ 85Hz, 16:10, and well... the best CRT to date. When the time comes to get back into gaming, I'm not getting an IPS. I'm getting another FW900.

I'm from Brooklyn, I'm the OG owner of the New Yorker Club


metallicamaster3 is offline  
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:42 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Concept_357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 271
Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunagoblin;14594285 
BenQ looks very good, though...
Especially it has the feature I use. (PIP is nice.)
But at the same time I hear it has poor construction and backlight bleeding issue.
I wish I could see the actual thing.....

I would suggest the samsung SA950 over the XL2410t, considering everyone says it has a superior IQ. However i have never tried the Sammy, I have tried the BenQ and the build quality is great, there is alot of bleeding though.
Concept_357 is offline  
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:45 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
j0zef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 517
Rep: 35 (Unique: 33)
OP: No LCD today comes close to rivaling the quality of a high quality CRT for competitive FPS gaming. If that's your focus, upgrading to an LCD now is a step backwards.
As a comp gamer who went from a CRT to a 60 hz LCD, to a 120 hz LCD, I can tell you that you'll despise a regular 60 hz screen, but still wont feel "right" with a 120 hz LCD.

j0zef is offline  
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Linux Lobbyist
 
rmp459's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,315
Rep: 240 (Unique: 217)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeppzer;14594084 
And what exactly, was wrong there?

Everything ?

I seriously hope you don't think the pixels you see are each an individual LED. Such a panel does not exist with current technology. Some displays manage the color the lighting behind specific areas of the panel, but that is not the case with 99% of LEDs currently on the market.

LED IS LCD. The only difference is the backlighting.

When most people say LCD display, they mean a CCFL back-lit LCD display. Most consumer LED displays are simply LCD panels with LED backlighting. Reduces heat and power consumption due to the nature of light emitting diodes and can in some cases provide a slightly better measured contrast ratio. In truth, it looks slightly different, but is very similar on paper to a regular CCFL back-lit LCD.

Your not manipulating the backlight to render images.

In some larger HDTVs that have full arrays of LEDs behind the LCD display, there is local dimming which is dimming out parts of the screen that are showing the color black to make it appear deeper and dynamically increase the contrast. Unfortunately, it can also cause blooming so some TV purists keep the feature turned off.


Current Audio: Gustard U12 > Gustard X12 > Gustard H10 / Matrix M-Stage / Schiit Lyr (Cryo'd Gold Lions) / Presonus Eris E4.5 Monitors
|| HE-400i w/ AlphaPads || Oppo PM-3 || Fostex TH-X00 || AKG K701 || HD 650 ||
Current Mouse/Keyboard => cm novatouch w/ pbt caps || g403


rmp459 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off