GUIDE: Display control via Windows! Brightness, contrast, etc. (DDC/CI) - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GUIDE: Display control via Windows! Brightness, contrast, etc. (DDC/CI)

post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
HothBase
Thank you!
It's very comfortable to use shortcuts. I made two of them - movies/photos/games (-set brightness 70 contrast 50), and for a normal use like text etc. (-set brightness 0 contrast 0) and put those things to the Windows task bar with different icons thumb.gif

BTW, this utility can't set contrast lower than 20? I can do it only via command line thinking.gif

Before this I had a monitor from NEC and used NaviSet, but this thing (with shortcuts) is much more handy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

so how it is different from the nvidia colorpanel?

"I don't sleep, I just dream." Rust Cohle
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
+rep
I get extremely bad light sensitivity, when I get bad migraines, and planning on getting a new monitor as well, my current Samsung(using magictune with it) is getting on in years (T240) so now I know that DDC/CI will hopefully work with current gen monitors, because new one wont be a Samsung for the one I want from them are glossy panels but;
thanks biggrin.gif!
heres what I did with mine,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi, I've been a ScreenBright user for a while now and always wished it had presets, so I don't have to use the slider to carefully get the value I need. I use ScreenBright dozens of times a day (switching between web browsing, doing visual art, watching movies, writing novels, playing games, etc), and having to always use the slider to get the exact value I want becomes very tiresome. I emailed the developer begging for a preset save/toggle feature, but I was told to just use command line batch file, which I have no idea what it means or how to do it. I searched the web but I'm don't know much about DOS so it didn't really help (I'm not a techie at all when it comes to DOS/programming and have little to no knowledge in that area. I'm better at the hardware level stuff like building computers).

@HothBase - You mentioned that you created quick single-click profile settings that act like presets, but I have no idea how to create them. I tried to follow your instructions, but all they did was allow me to set the settings via command line, and I have no idea how to create/save the profiles I want (and the Save button on ScreenBright doesn't seem to do anything). Can you please tell this noob how to do it (the steps)? Thanks so much!

EDIT: Okay, the developer has given me the steps to create .bat presets, and if anyone else is like me and don't know how to do it, here are the steps he gave me. Below is his instruction:

The save button shall save the settings in the screen.
As far as I remember at least one of my screens forgets the setting after a power cycle if I don't click save.
That's not what you need.

1. launch Notepad
2. enter the following text:
ScreenBright -set brightness 40 contrast 50 save
3. save it as for example "preset1.bat" in the directory of screenbright
4. maybe create a shortcut of this file on the desktop or in the start menu
5. exit ScreenBright
6. double-click the bat file or launch the shortcut you've just created
now the screen shall be set to brightness 40 and contrast 50 and both saved in the screen.

You can do the same completely without batch files as it's described on the website you've linked to me, but as far as I see the description misses some points.

Website+Blog: www.ethereality.info
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
GWAMM

Rep: 127 (Unique: 112)
I haven't been very active lately, sorry about that. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeri View Post

so how it is different from the nvidia colorpanel?
NVIDIA Control Panel manages software settings. This is for managing hardware settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique View Post

You mentioned that you created quick single-click profile settings that act like presets, but I have no idea how to create them. I tried to follow your instructions, but all they did was allow me to set the settings via command line, and I have no idea how to create/save the profiles I want (and the Save button on ScreenBright doesn't seem to do anything). Can you please tell this noob how to do it (the steps)? Thanks so much!

I've updated the guide now with the changes I sent to you via PM earlier.

GUIDE: Monitor/Display controls via Windows! Brightness, contrast, etc. (DDC/CI)

I play games. In addition to my PC, I own a cosy collection of consoles including GBC, PSX, GBASP, PS3, GCN, X360, NDSiXL, Xbox, PS2, Wii, Dreamcast, PSP and PS Vita.

post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hello, everyone!
I was just searching on how to assign my monitor profiles to the macro-keys on my keyboard.
I have Dell U2311h, SteelSeries Apex [RAW] and Windows 7 x64. ScreenBright brightness slider works just fine (I think, I`ll be able to make a profile and then switch by pressing my macros). Thanks HothBase! I also want that I can also switch by my monitor presets (such as "Game", "Standart", "Custom" etc,), because I launch game-shooters quite oftenly during the day, and it`s hard to always switch between "Game" (they need matrix overdrive) and a "Custom" preset.
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 06:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 28)
hello
may i ask why you would use this instead of the nvidia monitor calibration i.e.?
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 03:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

GET f.lux - justgetflux.com it will help with your migraines!!! I promise!
It makes your screen a warmer color at sunset and is much easier on the eyes
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 07:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

This program is outdated - with the latest drivers from nVidia won't work in surround mode. It just says:

But before that update all was fine - with one shortcut I could change brightness and contrast in one click. Now I will use softMCCS. It's a powerful utility for controlling a monitor but I don't know how to use it in easy mode (via cmd of else). Very uncomfortable mad.gif

So any suggestions about ScreenBright? Now I can see that DDC works, it's just ScreenBright can't work with new nVidia drivers.

And what nVidia did? It's something about DCC? Very sad.

post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 06:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Just AWESOME program! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in