[Official] Dell U2713HM: 2560x1440 Semi-Glossy IPS Club - Page 164 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Dell U2713HM: 2560x1440 Semi-Glossy IPS Club

post #1631 of 3080 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 02:48 AM
Retired Moderation

Rep: 313 (Unique: 253)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuko View Post

the question is, did you use custom clocks for it, or just went up to 90Hz with default pixel clocks? sorry i didn't ask clearly the first time smile.gif

i'd love to hear from others too, whether this is just a lucky draw, or the screen is consistently "overclockable" up to 90 Hz

Default pixel clocks. Would love to hear from others too. Here is another pic at 80 Hz refresh I didn't use in my initial post because I thought it wasn't as focused.

EDIT: I didn't think to take multiple pics either when doing this to check for consistency. I won't have free time to do further testing until next weekend with family, working and moderating which comes first. I can take a series of pics at 80 Hz unless someone else does it first.

CPU
|INTEL i7 4790K [4.6 GHz]
Motherboard
|ASUS Z97 Maximus Formula VII
GPU
|SAPPHIRE Nitro R9 Fury
RAM
|CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 2133
Hard Drive
|PNY CS2211 XLR8 480 [Gaming]
Hard Drive
|WD Velociraptor 1TB [Storage]
Hard Drive
|SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256 [OS]
Power Supply
|SUPERNOVA P2 1000
Monitor
|VIEWSONIC XG 2700 [4K IPS Freesync]
Keyboard
|DUCKY Shine 5 YOTG
Mouse
|LOGITECH G Pro [Modified]
Mouse
|ZOWIE G-SR Dark Gray
Audio
|SENNHEISER HD650
Audio
|SCHIIT Modi 2 Uber
Audio
|SCHIIT Magni
Audio
|BLUE Snow Ball ICE [Black]
Audio
|CORSAIR SP2500
Other
|CORSAIR Obsidian 450D
Other
|CORSAIR H100i
Other
|NOCTUA NF-F14 [2] & NF-A12 [3] Chroma
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1632 of 3080 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 03:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 550 (Unique: 350)

Excellent work Arizonian + imaginey rep for you :)

I have few questions though.

Does OCing anyway harm our computer? and secondly if something goes wrong, will DELL know that I OCed the monitor?

iARDAs game giveaway thread
iARDAs game giveaway list
PSN: iARDAs
Origin: ArCeyDu
Steam: arda371 nickname ArCeyDu
post #1633 of 3080 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 03:25 AM
Retired Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

Excellent work Arizonian + imaginey rep for you smile.gif

I have few questions though.

Does OCing anyway harm our computer? and secondly if something goes wrong, will DELL know that I OCed the monitor?

As anything we OC there's degradation. I don't keep 24/7 OC as I don't feel comfortable and in desk top use feel its not needed. The U2713HM dosent require OC refresh rate to provide judder free play back of blu-ray movies. So its only gaming I take the time to OC and revert back when finished. Not all games except higher refresh rates in game settings. Example Neverwinter only allows me up to 75 Hz refresh in game settings even when my monitor is at 90 Hz.

I'm wondering if it will lead to color retention like MenacingTuba discovered on the QNIX review he recently did when kept OC'd on desk top over a long length of time? He got it to clear up by reverting back to 60 Hz refereh rate and it eventually fixed it. Hence why I'm not using higher refresh unless I'm gaming.

Don't know enough if Dell can find out if its been over clocked or not. Perhaps someone that knows monitors can chime in and provide feed back on all of this.

CPU
Motherboard
GPU
|SAPPHIRE Nitro R9 Fury
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
|SUPERNOVA P2 1000
Monitor
Keyboard
|DUCKY Shine 5 YOTG
Mouse
Mouse
|ZOWIE G-SR Dark Gray
Audio
|SENNHEISER HD650
Audio
|SCHIIT Modi 2 Uber
Audio
|SCHIIT Magni
Audio
Audio
|CORSAIR SP2500
Other
|CORSAIR Obsidian 450D
Other
|CORSAIR H100i
Other
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1634 of 3080 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 200 (Unique: 138)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post

2. Is the whole beta frame skipping beta test from Blur Busters valid?
You are testing the TestUFO Frame Skipping test at www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping correctly, and 85Hz is definitely frameskipping. However, there's a way to make testing easier. Right now, your frameskipping photo is currently currently capturing too few frames; try for a longer camera exposure.

To trick any cheap camera into doing that:
1. Adjust your "Exposure Compensation" setting in your camera to a higher setting; and
2. Lower the brightness of your monitor by a lot. This forces your camera to take a longer exposure.

For easier frameskipping determination, you need to take a picture of at least 1/10th second (capture about 6+ squares), and preferably 1/5th second (capture about 10+ squares) for a more accurate frameskipping analysis. The first visible square should be more than 2 squares away from the last visible square, or it won't easily help you determine frameskipping.

Example valid photo of non-frameskipping:

Example valid photo of frameskipping:

But yes, very good test of the frameskipping & you have correctly determined your display is frameskipping at 85Hz. I've amended the instructions at www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping to also use a longer camera exposure, since it makes it much easier. to detect frameskipping.

Secondary verification tests: The moving photo test at www.testufo.com/#test=photo should show obvious microstutters on a frameskipping display. (provided your GPU/browser is not the bottleneck, but it appears this is not the case for you as Chrome manages perfect synchronization running as the only window on systems that has everything chrome://gpu is enabled). Frameskipping will be much easier to see when playing VSYNC ON than when playing VSYNC OFF. Strafing left/right at high speeds at close distances to high-detail objects during fully synchronized framerate=Hz VSYNC ON will show microstutters on a frameskipping display.
post #1635 of 3080 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Retired Moderation

Thank you so much for coming by and explaining this mdrejhon ! I was not convinced myself as I had questions. smile.gif

Thanks for clearing this up how to properly test frame skipping and web site correction that it was TestUFO not Blur Busters.

Sorry for members that got thier hopes up too.

CPU
Motherboard
GPU
|SAPPHIRE Nitro R9 Fury
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
|SUPERNOVA P2 1000
Monitor
Keyboard
|DUCKY Shine 5 YOTG
Mouse
Mouse
|ZOWIE G-SR Dark Gray
Audio
|SENNHEISER HD650
Audio
|SCHIIT Modi 2 Uber
Audio
|SCHIIT Magni
Audio
Audio
|CORSAIR SP2500
Other
|CORSAIR Obsidian 450D
Other
|CORSAIR H100i
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #1636 of 3080 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Retired Moderation

Well took some time out of sleep and tried it out correctly this time. Adjusted ISO speed to catch more squares and it does Frame Skip even at 70 Hz. Unless I did something wrong with my ISO speed, I caught 8 squares this time as per your example above.

70 Hz Refresh Rate

EDIT: Will try gaming next weekend with V-sync on as I played with V-sync off in my video I took of BF3 that was smooth.

CPU
Motherboard
GPU
|SAPPHIRE Nitro R9 Fury
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
|SUPERNOVA P2 1000
Monitor
Keyboard
|DUCKY Shine 5 YOTG
Mouse
Mouse
|ZOWIE G-SR Dark Gray
Audio
|SENNHEISER HD650
Audio
|SCHIIT Modi 2 Uber
Audio
|SCHIIT Magni
Audio
Audio
|CORSAIR SP2500
Other
|CORSAIR Obsidian 450D
Other
|CORSAIR H100i
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #1637 of 3080 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 08:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
For those having issues with returns, here's the key phrase to use: "I know it isn't your fault, but I'm very frustrated with this experience." Then ask for a supervisor. This works particularly well if you slightly raise your voice when describing the problem. But you shouldn't really have a problem exchanging. For all my issues with Dell, the customer service is actually pretty good.
post #1638 of 3080 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 200 (Unique: 138)
Quote:

Well took some time out of sleep and tried it out correctly this time. Adjusted ISO speed to catch more squares and it does Frame Skip even at 70 Hz. Unless I did something wrong with my ISO speed, I caught 8 squares this time as per your example above.
That's a much better camera exposure. Yes, it does appear to be frameskipping -- infrequently (e.g. 1 frame out of 6). An even longer camera exposure of 1/2 second may reveal a more interesting frameskipping pattern, but most cheap cameras can't easily be programmed to do that.

*Note that web browsers (especially FireFox) can be the cause of the frameskips, but you ran Chrome, which is capable of perfect VSYNC when everything in chrome://gpu is enabled and no apps/tabs consuming resources in background. If there is zero frameskipping at 60Hz, you can trust the frameskipping result in the Chrome browser at 70Hz to be caused by the display.
Quote:

web site correction that it was TestUFO not Blur Busters.
Actually, either is fine. It's known as TestUFO, as well as the Blur Busters Motion Tests. Some people like to call it "The UFO test". The motion test branding is still in "beta", it will probably eventually converge into some common shorthand.
post #1639 of 3080 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Retired Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrejhon View Post

That's a much better camera exposure. Yes, it does appear to be frameskipping -- infrequently (e.g. 1 frame out of 6). An even longer camera exposure of 1/2 second may reveal a more interesting frameskipping pattern, but most cheap cameras can't easily be programmed to do that.

*Note that web browsers (especially FireFox) can be the cause of the frameskips, but you ran Chrome, which is capable of perfect VSYNC when everything in chrome://gpu is enabled and no apps/tabs consuming resources in background. If there is zero frameskipping at 60Hz, you can trust the frameskipping result in the Chrome browser at 70Hz to be caused by the display.
Actually, either is fine. It's known as TestUFO, as well as the Blur Busters Motion Tests. Some people like to call it "The UFO test". The motion test branding is still in "beta", it will probably eventually converge into some common shorthand.

I just found I didn't have GPU enabled. I just enabled it. GPU enabled same effect. It does Frame Skip at 70 Hz Refresh Rate. Just to make sure I did it right confirmed it's not Frame Skipping at native 60 Hz Refresh Rate.

70 Hz Refresh Rate

60 Hz Refresh Rate

EDIT: Thanks for all your help in doing the testing right and your professionalism as usual. +1 rep Mdrejohn.

CPU
Motherboard
GPU
|SAPPHIRE Nitro R9 Fury
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
|SUPERNOVA P2 1000
Monitor
Keyboard
|DUCKY Shine 5 YOTG
Mouse
Mouse
|ZOWIE G-SR Dark Gray
Audio
|SENNHEISER HD650
Audio
|SCHIIT Modi 2 Uber
Audio
|SCHIIT Magni
Audio
Audio
|CORSAIR SP2500
Other
|CORSAIR Obsidian 450D
Other
|CORSAIR H100i
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #1640 of 3080 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 93 (Unique: 80)
Boo. I guess that settles that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in