Post your PLS Overclocking Results - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Post your PLS Overclocking Results

post #1 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
If you've recently bought one of the Korean 'PLS' displays, e.g. QNIX QX2710, you will be happy to know that these should go straight up to 120hz, without any alterations to their hardware. biggrin.gif (i.e. no overlord 2b extreme pcb) At least mine has. Post your results, with the monitor brand, and type (glossy or matte) here, and whether you get any distortion when running at the higher refresh rate.

To overclock, simply open NVIDIA Control Panel, go to Change resolution, select the correct display and click Customize... Then click Create Custom Resolution... Here change the refresh rate to what you want. Click Test and you will find out whether your monitor is capable of running at that refresh rate. If it isn't, keep dropping it until it works.

You may see distortion at higher refresh rates, so just keep lowering it until you're happy. The distortion isn't permanent.

If your screen seems 'darker' or the colours seem wrong when you're running at a higher refresh rate, play around with some colour settings in NVIDIA control panel (brightness, contrast and gamma most importantly)

I assume this should be just as easy for people with AMD cards, have a look here:
http://www.nag.co.za/2013/03/01/weekend-project-overclocking-your-monitor/
Search for AMD on that page. (ctrl-f)

You can also use evga's pixel clock program. A quick google search will find it.

If anyone finds a way to make games run at 120hz in fullscreen mode, I'd be really happy.

Do this at your own risk! thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I have a QX2710 and it goes up to 133hz, but with significant distortion (red, green and blue lines).

It runs fine at 120hz, except that in the top right hand corner I get slight banding and it is slightly darker. This is unnoticeable in game unless looking at a solid lighter colour (the sky for example).

So far I've tried both Counter Strike: Global Offensive and Team Fortress 2 (windowed) and they look just as smooth as my vg278h when light boost is turned off. Assassin's Creed 3 lets me choose 120hz as a full screen refresh rate in settings and runs just as smooth.
post #3 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Wow, that is amazing news. I'll try this as soon as i reach home today. Hope my single HD6670 can handle 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz.

I don't game much, so just being able to push the pixels at 120 Hz should be good enough for me.

By the way, robomartian, which nvidia GPU are you currently using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

GTX 670 PE
post #5 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Ohhh i will test my QX2710 today when i get back from work.

Does anyone know if you can make custom resolutions in CCC?
post #6 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 52)
This is interesting, subbed may have to get this as a second monitor biggrin.gif

Quotes and stuff (Click to show)
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost
Quote:
Now it's been 10,000 years, Man has cried a billion tears,
For what, he never knew. Now man's reign is through.
But through eternal night, The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away, Maybe it's only yesterday.
post #7 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 AM
yoi
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 59 (Unique: 52)
omg , this monitor price is gonna rise as hell ...

* quickly buys 10 monitors *

post #8 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 52)
That's what I'm thinking I want to get one of these before when there still 300$ can anybody confirm whether this is actually 120hz or if its frame skipping if it isn't I think I'll sell my perfect pixel overlord monitors and get 3 of these

Quotes and stuff (Click to show)
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost
Quote:
Now it's been 10,000 years, Man has cried a billion tears,
For what, he never knew. Now man's reign is through.
But through eternal night, The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away, Maybe it's only yesterday.
post #9 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 29)
Well that sounds sweet!!

But importantly, are you certain you are seeing the 120Hz? I know for a fact that many, many monitors appear to support overclocking but on closer inspection it becomes clear that the monitor is actually skipping frames. I believe this post links a program that you can use to test for dropped pixels: https://www.overclock.net/t/1363440/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-owners-club/2170#post_19436523

Or another way to test is to hook up both this monitor overclocked, and any other monitor (e.g. I think you said you had a VG278HE?) running at 60Hz, and compare how smooth the cursor moves. A side-by-side comparison is essential.

post #10 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

GREAT NEWS!
I got my monitor to work at 120Hz using on my HD6670 "Custom Resolution Utility"

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

But i had a bit of flickering/stuttering and artifacting at 120Hz. I'm reasonably sure this is because my GPU sucks. I finally settled at 108 Hz which works flawlessly. I am seriously thinking of getting 2 more of these monitors and getting a better GPU to drive them as well.

Hamzatm : I used the "Refresh rate multitool" in that post and i don't think i see any dropped frames.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in